Cameron Dawson 'There's talk of Salary Caps'

Cameron Dawson Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Cameron Dawson talks about the end to the season, potential salary caps, and changes in general to football as we know it.

Speaking to BBC Radio Sheffield on the impact of the virus, Dawson said: "I think there will be big changes. What those changes are, I don't think anyone knows that yet but there are going to be changes.

"I don't see transfer fees being paid for the next couple of years.

"There's talk of salary caps. There's talk of all sorts but I think there will be changes. I think it will be for the best.

"Let's get football back to what it was. It was a sport for the fans which people enjoyed watching.

"It might be a good time to reassess to make sure it goes back to being that. The fans and the people coming in through the gates are put first."

"The first thing will be to get back into training as soon as we can and as soon as that is an option.

"We have all been apart for six weeks on our home programme so we need to get the ball at our feet or hands again and get back to that.

"Hopefully we will get this season finished as soon as possible whether that will be with fans or without. It is looking like it will probably be without fans at the minute.

"I see it being a real challenge for them (the EFL) because the powers that be have got the Euros to think about at the end of next season and things like that and it has got to be a case of trying to cause the least amount of fuss to next season as possible.

"I don't know how they are going to do it. I don't envy them in trying to make it all logistically possible but I think they will try to get this season done sooner rather than later."

Owlstalk Shop

I agree with his comments.

The problem is with the getting back to football as it use to be, with salary caps is that it would create an even bigger gap between the EFL and PL, as the PL players and clubs wouldn't sign up to that.

I like his attitude to the opportunity to getting football back to where fans can enjoy it again.

There’s an opportunity for the EFL here to improve attitudes for fans and players as well but I don’t hold out much hope that they will step up to the plate with money involved. 

To be honest our club should set it's own salary cap and stick to it. They should also set an age limit for new signings.

We tried the SPENDAGEDDON tactic and it failed.

Time to try running the club like a business and treating players like assets.

I like Dawson's comments though, he's right of course. But I doubt many footballers think the same way and I can't really blame them.

It's all about the money, always has been, so our club should look at it the same way and stop being sentimental.

This is the best time to think about that ‘European League’ which incorporates the so called  cream of the crop - that won’t bend over backwards financially for anyone. In essence it can be the eye candy league with the rest of the domestic leagues being for the hardcore fans and they can look to bring in salary caps that way. At least then the big 6 or 7 clubs are the only ones stripped away. As we believe some clubs may fold then the rest of the leagues are made up of what’s left.

We could potentially lose the top 6 or 7 teams to the European League, lose a handful of clubs unfortunately due to finances and then re-balance the leagues accordingly. Division One, Division Two, Division Three, Division Four will have 22 teams in each meaning a 42 game league season.

All this would just be because those with the money will refuse any other changes. It’s a pie in the sky idea but football has to change somehow.

40 minutes ago, trev said:

To be honest our club should set it's own salary cap and stick to it. They should also set an age limit for new signings.

We tried the SPENDAGEDDON tactic and it failed.

Time to try running the club like a business and treating players like assets.

I like Dawson's comments though, he's right of course. But I doubt many footballers think the same way and I can't really blame them.

It's all about the money, always has been, so our club should look at it the same way and stop being sentimental.

this is the route the club has already been doing down since last summer, thankfully.

I think we learnt from the mistakes of bringing in Fletcher on big money which meant everyone else wanted a pay rise. 

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

this is the route the club has already been doing down since last summer, thankfully.

I think we learnt from the mistakes of bringing in Fletcher on big money which meant everyone else wanted a pay rise. 

Hope so mate I really do.

9 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

This is the best time to think about that ‘European League’ which incorporates the so called  cream of the crop - that won’t bend over backwards financially for anyone. In essence it can be the eye candy league with the rest of the domestic leagues being for the hardcore fans and they can look to bring in salary caps that way. At least then the big 6 or 7 clubs are the only ones stripped away. As we believe some clubs may fold then the rest of the leagues are made up of what’s left.

We could potentially lose the top 6 or 7 teams to the European League, lose a handful of clubs unfortunately due to finances and then re-balance the leagues accordingly. Division One, Division Two, Division Three, Division Four will have 22 teams in each meaning a 42 game league season.

All this would just be because those with the money will refuse any other changes. It’s a pie in the sky idea but football has to change somehow.

Let’s for example pick the the teams for a European League made up of 24 of the elite teams.

Liverpool

Man City

Tottenham

Chelsea

Man United

Arsenal

Barcelona

Real Madrid

Atletico Madrid

Bayern Munich

Borussia Dortmund

RB Leipzig

Juventus

Inter Milan

AC Milan

Paris Saint Germain

AS Monaco

Ajax

Benfica

Porto

Just randomly thinking off the top of my head there, here’s 20 for starters! Imagine the money involved in that league?! At least they’d be away from the rest of football.

5 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

I really can’t see a European league ever happening.

The popularity of the domestic teams is created by the fair weather and “plastic” fans that “support their team” because said teams are beating all and sundry each season - just look how popular Blackburn were in the 90s and how popular Man Citeh are now. If the top twenty teams in Europe form a league then some of the top teams will be playing second fiddle in terms of results and (possibly) power/influence to your mega teams - why be a small fish in a big pond when you were the big fish in the smaller pond? 

I guess the most pertinent question would be “who plays in this new European League”. If we take a quick (cursory) count at the top teams per country you would have:

England: 6

Scotland: 2

France: 3

Spain: 6 

Germany: 6 

Italy: 6

The Netherlands: 3

Belgium: 2

Portugal: 4

Greece: 2 

Turkey: 3

Poland: 2

Russia: 3 

Ukraine: 1

Sweden: 1

Norway: 1 

Austria: 1 
Serbia: 1 

Then what about Hungary, Slovenia, Slovakia, Romania, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Croatia et al? 

The teams that weren’t selected would be suing the pants of the European League as would the domestic leagues and associations that lost teams to this new league; maybe even FIFA and UEFA would sue if they weren’t the governing body. 

Finally, what would happen when the top teams want to return to their domestic leagues because they’re getting beat each week or the European league has failed Kerry Packer style? Surely the top teams would consider that in their risk/benefit analyses. 

I just can’t see it happening. 

1 hour ago, Animis said:

The problem is with the getting back to football as it use to be, with salary caps is that it would create an even bigger gap between the EFL and PL, as the PL players and clubs wouldn't sign up to that.

Apparently, there are quite a few EPL.clubs going to be in deep do.do when all this is finished 

1 hour ago, Swiss Toni said:

Let’s for example pick the the teams for a European League made up of 24 of the elite teams.

Liverpool

Man City

Tottenham

Chelsea

Man United

Arsenal

Barcelona

Real Madrid

Atletico Madrid

Bayern Munich

Borussia Dortmund

RB Leipzig

Juventus

Inter Milan

AC Milan

Paris Saint Germain

AS Monaco

Ajax

Benfica

Porto

Just randomly thinking off the top of my head there, here’s 20 for starters! Imagine the money involved in that league?! At least they’d be away from the rest of football.

Monaco? Milan? 

No place for the likes of Romania, Scotland and others. 

How would promotion/relegation work? 

Nice idea but so many factors that would need serious discussions over years and years 

1 hour ago, Animis said:

The problem?

In so much that teams relegated would have players above the wage cap, how would the EFL accommodate

the big earners, give them a Season to come into line?

Without doubt that be worse than what we have at the moment with the relegated teams almost certain to be promoted,

if we could have an overall wage cap of say 15 million a year, (each club can then divvy out the money as they see fit)

this would keep clubs in the black.

It's how you can make it fair given the discrepancy, the Premier league would have to come into line or this would not 

work, and the only reason they would do this is by legislation from the governing bodies, given that the Premier League

is an independent Company, I'm not sure who they would listen to apart from themselves.

39 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Liverpool

Man City

Tottenham

Chelsea

Man United

Arsenal

Barcelona

Real Madrid

Atletico Madrid

Bayern Munich

Borussia Dortmund

RB Leipzig

Juventus

Inter Milan

AC Milan

Paris Saint Germain

AS Monaco

Ajax

Benfica

Porto

Rangers? Celtic? Roma? Lazio? Napoli? Seville? Valencia? Sporting? Malmo? Olympiakos? Panathinaikos? AEK Athens? Galatasaray? Fenerbahce? Besiktas? Feyenoord? Marseille? Lyon? Brugge? Standard Liege?

36 minutes ago, darra said:

Apparently, there are quite a few EPL.clubs going to be in deep do.do when all this is finished 

It wouldn't surprise me.  People keep saying some clubs are going to cease to exist & presume it will be League 1 & 2 clubs.  While League's 1 & 2 may be in the most danger it would be foolish think that Championship & Premier clubs will be safe.

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, Swiss Toni said:

Liverpool

Man City

Tottenham

Chelsea

Man United

Arsenal

Barcelona

Real Madrid

Atletico Madrid

Bayern Munich

Borussia Dortmund

RB Leipzig

Juventus

Inter Milan

AC Milan

Paris Saint Germain

AS Monaco

Ajax

Benfica

Porto

The idea of a European Super League has been bandied about for many, many years; can't see it happening at all.

40 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Rangers? Celtic? Roma? Lazio? Napoli? Seville? Valencia? Sporting? Malmo? Olympiakos? Panathinaikos? AEK Athens? Galatasaray? Fenerbahce? Besiktas? Feyenoord? Marseille? Lyon? Brugge? Standard Liege?

My pony being it’s a money league.

a lot of those clubs aren’t In the money. It’s to get away from the money and back to football for some. 

52 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Monaco? Milan? 

No place for the likes of Romania, Scotland and others. 

How would promotion/relegation work? 

Nice idea but so many factors that would need serious discussions over years and years 

It’s a money league, therefore it’s the clubs with the money. Not gonna happen but clubs can ‘buy themselves in’ or be there on worth.