Did someone mention rattles ?

Yes, they did, in another thread ! Anyway, here is my collection.

The top one was bought from Wakefields Army Stores in Chesterfield on the way to Hillsborough in 1967. When it was proper ex-army stuff in there, it was brilliant. Rattle cost me 2/6 but it weighs a ton so I never took it again, although I painted it blue and white and wrote Fantham and Ritchie on it. It is stamped R.O.D. 1944. I've never known exactly what this means but I've been told they were used to simulate machine gun fire during army training (it's very loud). I know early examples were used as bird scarers.

I only took the blue and white one once too, and the bottom one never. 

Rattles were going out of fashion by the time I started going in 1966, along with rosettes. Toilet roll throwing lasted another couple of years:rolleyes:  Another example of the fun going out of football, although I must admit the top rattle would have made a fearsome weapon in the hooliganism period.

IMG_20200414_111558.jpg

IMG_20200414_111640.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

I made my own in school woodwork - it was the only rattle that went anti-clockwise rather than the normal clockwise . Unfortunately it got smashed to smithereens when a wayward Norman Curtis shot went wide and smashed my rattle against the wall at the front of the kop !

• Haha 4

On 14/04/2020 at 11:39, 31Dec1966 said:

Rattles were going out of fashion by the time I started going in 1966, along with rosettes. 

Oh dear, i was still wearing my Terry Curran rosette in 1980 

:wacko:

Still have it somewhere.

The top one was bought from Wakefields Army Stores in Chesterfield on the way to Hillsborough in 1967. When it was proper ex-army stuff in there, it was brilliant. Rattle cost me 2/6 but it weighs a ton so I never took it again, although I painted it blue and white and wrote Fantham and Ritchie on it. It is stamped R.O.D. 1944. I've never known exactly what this means but I've been told they were used to simulate machine gun fire during army training (it's very loud). I know early examples were used as bird scarers.

Rattles were going out of fashion by the time I started going in 1966, along with rosettes. Toilet roll throwing lasted another couple of years:rolleyes:  Another example of the fun going out of football, although I must admit the top rattle would have made a fearsome weapon in the hooliganism period.

IMG_20200414_111558.jpg

IMG_20200414_111640.jpg

You could hold up a shop with them things WTF:

On 14/04/2020 at 13:51, alan48 said:

I made my own in school woodwork - it was the only rattle that went anti-clockwise rather than the normal clockwise . Unfortunately it got smashed to smithereens when a wayward Norman Curtis shot went wide and smashed my rattle against the wall at the front of the kop !

Well built then *wink*

They were carried throughout WW2 by Air Raid Wardens, especially in the London Blitz, because they would cut thhrough the cacophany of noise. I believe they were also used in the trenches of WW1. That just shows the amount of noise they could make.. Sounded more like a machine gun than the Vavuzelas

Guest mrbluesky
On 14/04/2020 at 11:41, @owlstalk said:

Were they as annoying as vuvuzelas?

Who rattled your cage?

IMG_20200414_111558.jpg

IMG_20200414_111640.jpg

you forgot to mention the 'kung fu' throwing star, a must when playing miwaww.

Those big chunky ones were lethal. Get a scuff round the head with one and you knew about it.

i always regretted the lightweight version I got from Suggs. They were thinner but wider and more like waving a wooden flag.

Mind you once I’d painted it blue and white it had a memorable day out in 66.

Daily Express paper hat, scarf and rattle eh?

Proper football