The ‘unfulfilled potential XI’

19 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Matt Clarke, great keeper just came at the wrong time for us as we had Pressman in his prime.

Yes, he had all the attributes to be a great goalkeeper Didn’t really fulfil his potential anywhere, not just with us

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, fudge27 said:

Kenwyne Jones? 

You in the wrong thread? 

No I’m not. I believe he never reached his full potential. 

19 hours ago, torryowl said:

Peter springett

Haslam

Knight

Mobley

Burton 

Chamberlain

Abdi

Tommy craig

Dobson 

Hirst

Layne ...

Some very good players who for one reason or another didn't quite have the career what they probably should have .

Good shout on Chamberlain...amazing dribbling skills but just never quite got going for us

14 hours ago, Doctor Duran said:

Sanetti

Di Piedi

Rodri

Kovacivic

Not adapting to English footie

Atkinson (although he did have a decent career)

Hirst (if he'd had gone to man Utd he world have been an England legend)

Siggi Jonsson (injuries)

Sanetti, great goal against Villa, then exterminated by the Daleks, damn shame really.

Edited by helmut_rooster

Guest Willow Owl
16 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

For one reason or another;

Iain Hesford

Patrick Collins

Ian Knight

Paul Warhurst

Wayne Jacobs

Mark Chamberlain

Siggi Jonsson

David Billington

Owen Morrison

Dalian Atkinson

Simon Stainrod

Felt really sorry for Ian Knight. Had broken into England under 21s and looked a real player. I was at the match where that lunatic Bennett smashed his leg. Could hear the screams, really awful for him and us really.

Richie Humphreys -  after start he had to his professional career much more was expected from Humphreys.

Mark Platts - beat half of Premiership to sign him and made him one of youngest ever PL players when we gave him his league debut while only 16 years old.

Kevin Nicholson - lot was expected from left back. Had wand of left foot, but sadly no pace at all. Made himself somewhat of a legend at Torquay United.

Matt Hamshaw - as 16 and 17 years old he was one of England's premium talents destined to go all the way and carve good Premiership career for himself. Don't think Hamshaw did anything wrong but was rather incredibly unlucky with injuries from very early in his pro career. Will always be remembered as scorer of one of the best goals ever seen at Hillsborough and in League Cup.

Owen Morrison - burst on scene with a bang. Unlike Hamshaw it seems he ruined his career with unprofessional approach (and some would say little help of one Steve Harkness). At least we will have goal against Preston to remember him by.

Almen Abdi - in my opinion Championship's best player when Watford got promoted. Did very well in PL even though he got played out of position. Instead of proving as a final cog in our own promotion plan he failed spectacularly.

3 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Felt really sorry for Ian Knight. Had broken into England under 21s and looked a real player. I was at the match where that lunatic Bennett smashed his leg. Could hear the screams, really awful for him and us really.

To those that didn't see it , the challenge was so bad I remember a die hard blunt I worked with telling me that when Chester played utd not long after even the utd fans booed him.

Guest Willow Owl
4 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

To those that didn't see it , the challenge was so bad I remember a die hard blunt I worked with telling me that when Chester played utd not long after even the utd fans booed him.

Didn’t Knight finish with one leg shorter because of the tackle. 

Dalian Atkinson without question. 

World at his feet with the right application and less distractions

Mark Chamberlain

So, so frustrating. Could have played at the very top . Rightly or wrongly,  I always felt he didn't quite believe in himself.

David Hirst for me, should have been a Premier League Legend instead of being just a local hero.

Steve Bould didn’t help matters but if he’d had half the professionalism and dedication of Shearer his name would be up there. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but looking back we should have accepted the offer from Man United for both club and the players sake. 

1 hour ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

I've just been googling to try and confirm the date. No luck. It's in the Dickinson/Brodie but book of Owls players though. 

One of my earliest memories as a child, was reading an article, in Football Weekly, I believe, about this prolific schoolboy striker, who was on Sheffield Wednesday’s books, and it was David Herbert. He was about 15 at the time, and the fact that there was an article about him in a national magazine, was pretty unusual. Certainly, growing up in Oxford, Wednesday didn’t get much coverage down south in those days Did manage to see him play a handful of games for us, but never really looked like being a regular scorer for Wednesday

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

One of my earliest memories as a child, was reading an article, in Football Weekly, I believe, about this prolific schoolboy striker, who was on Sheffield Wednesday’s books, and it was David Herbert. He was about 15 at the time, and the fact that there was an article about him in a national magazine, was pretty unusual. Certainly, growing up in Oxford, Wednesday didn’t get much coverage down south in those days Did manage to see him play a handful of games for us, but never really looked like being a regular scorer for Wednesday

Not even heard of him.  It's amazing how many young lads are touted as the next best thing then totally disappear.  Must be heart breaking for them when they realise they can't make it and for the manager who has to tell  them that as well.

5 minutes ago, james o connor said:

I think that guy was the opposite and he over-performed for those few months .  

Yes probably, and I’d say the same about Warhurst. He had a golden period when he was thrown up front for us, but it didn’t last, and all his shortcomings as a striker became more evident