The ‘unfulfilled potential XI’

16 minutes ago, james o connor said:

I think that guy was the opposite and he over-performed for those few months .  

Most probably. Remember a couple games he was electric, a hattrick in a 5-0 win against Southampton I think. Scored 2 inside 10 minutes against Burnley opening day of the season and then went off injured 5 minutes later and was out for 3 months.

lol 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

58 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

One of my earliest memories as a child, was reading an article, in Football Weekly, I believe, about this prolific schoolboy striker, who was on Sheffield Wednesday’s books, and it was David Herbert. He was about 15 at the time, and the fact that there was an article about him in a national magazine, was pretty unusual. Certainly, growing up in Oxford, Wednesday didn’t get much coverage down south in those days Did manage to see him play a handful of games for us, but never really looked like being a regular scorer for Wednesday

We

51 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Not even heard of him.  It's amazing how many young lads are touted as the next best thing then totally disappear.  Must be heart breaking for them when they realise they can't make it and for the manager who has to tell  them that as well.

13 games, 6 sub, 4 goals between 1975 and 1976. He was then released by Len Ashurst in the big clear out at the end of 75/6. 

Scored 100s of goals afterwards in the non-league, most notably for Buxton. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

We

13 games, 6 sub, 4 goals between 1975 and 1976. He was then released by Len Ashurst in the big clear out at the end of 75/6. 

Scored 100s of goals afterwards in the non-league, most notably for Buxton. 

Thanks for the detail.

Wonder why he was allowed to leave 4 goals in 13 games not brilliant but something to work on, would have thought he'd be given more time to prove himself.   A victim of the big purge I guess.

His name still doesn't ring a bell. 

On 10/04/2020 at 21:59, Sefton owl said:

As it says, create an XI for all the players you thought didn’t really live up to the hype, goalkeepers, full backs etc. 

Just throwing some names out there; 

Drew talbot, Mark Beevers, Etieene Esajas, Craig Rocastle, Jacob Murphy, Jordan Rhodes, Goerge boyd 

Any goalies? 

For Wednesday or in their career? Many became great after us! Therefore didn’t fulfil their potential at Wednesday only 

Guest Willow Owl
5 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Christ. He played majority of his career in the PL, went to a world Cup with Trinidad and scored a fair few goals

Can’t remember Christ playing in the World Cup or the premier league🤣🤣

Once Kenwyne got his big money move, his goals and contribution never matched his overall potential. Just my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Thought Warhurst could have been a star in either position, if he hadn't been such a massive tail.

Possibly, he had the attributes but never really bothered to learn his job, in either position At the back, he was really careless, and lacked any sort of awareness. When used up front, he had a short spell where everything he hit was a goal. It didn’t last though, because he wasn’t prepared to learn the strikers trade. He couldn’t hold the ball up, couldn’t pass, and largely, wasn’t aware of his teammates 

The thing with Warhurst, in both positions, his main attribute was his speed, but up front, he would also shoot when nobody expected him to shoot, and this brought him most of his goals

Edited by gurujuan

I’ve just been reading a piece on the demise of Franck Betra, a player, who I thought anyway, had the talent to succeed on the couple of occasions I saw him play He had a serious injury, and missed nearly two years, and never looked the same again. Another from around that time, who I thought showed some promise, was a young left back called Balogun, who I think ended up being poached. Neither of them have gone on to have any reasonable to success