FFP forecast

Just now, HIGHERSTATE said:

He thought we'd be in the Champions League by now with the squad he bought.

and I think perhaps he still thinks that.

You do wonder. 

Because he's bought these players, then  they must be really good or something. 

Wouldn't surprise me. 

18 minutes ago, dr. benway said:

Jordan Rhodes?

I didn’t hear anyone complain about signing Rhodes at the time. The vast majority were happy and thinking his goals would take us over the line and get us promoted.

Lots of people can cast criticism with hindsight, but had we got promoted then Rhodes would have been classed as a ‘shrewd’ £10M spent considering the rewards of the Premier League, the issues with ticket prices, kit being delayed etc etc would all have been forgotten. 

DC gambled and it didn’t pay off. Simple as that in my eyes. 

Edited by Tudders

4 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Bang on.

And we were all happy for him to buy a lottery ticket. But now his numbers didn’t come in, some are on the moral high ground trying to tell him that gambling’s for mugs. ( It is but you know what I mean)

Edited by Tudders

In answer to the OP then clearly it is basic business finances so they would know the outgoings with reasonable accuracy. The variable is really turnover but even that given the majority of income is known, season ticket sales, TV monies and POTG is modest as we know. 

So yep it should not have been a surprise to have been over the FFP limits. But let's be honest the attitude has been to think it did not apply or would not be invoked. 

That is the huge error and even now it seems the attitude is not to acknowledge we did wrong but the system is

6 minutes ago, Tudders said:

I didn’t hear anyone complain about signing Rhodes at the time. The vast majority were happy and thinking his goals would take us over the line and get us promoted.

Lots of people can cast criticism with hindsight, but had we got promoted then Rhodes would have been classed as a ‘shrewd’ £10M spent considering the rewards of the Premier League, the issues with ticket prices, kit being delayed etc etc would all have been forgotten. 

You're right in a lot of that Tudders.. the problem we've got now is that hindsight is irrelevant because we've been making the same mistakes for the last 5 years..up to and including today.

8 minutes ago, Tudders said:

We all know that had the deal not gone through on that night in Feb for Rhodes when we were playing away at Bristol everyone would of thrown it in his face as a missed opportunity. 

13 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

You're right in a lot of that Tudders.. the problem we've got now is that hindsight is irrelevant because we've been making the same mistakes for the last 5 years..up to and including today.

We’ve made mistakes throughout but in those first couple of years we’ve been so close. It papered over a lot of cracks off the field and for us supporters it’s what’s happening on the pitch that really matters.

For a gambler,  one result letting you down on a big acca is motivation to keep throwing money at it. That’s what he’s been doing since coming so close the first two years.

I think we are coming to the a crossroads now with DC. The FFP decision will be the deciding factor in whether he carries on or not. If we lose, I think that DC will find that although he has the money, he can’t buy his way to promotion. Finding the perfect balance to achieve promotion under the constraints of FFP is tough. United found the perfect equilibrium in Wilder. Nobody could have foreseen what he would achieve on so little. Trouble is there aren’t many Wilder’s about.

DC is a multi millionaire and in any other walk of life he gets what he wants and he knows that money =progress. Unfortunately for us and him, being in the EFL is one of the only places that isn’t the case.

Edited by Tudders

2 hours ago, owl_83 said:

One thing has bothered me. Surely forecasting your profit and loss cannot be that hard to stay within the FFP limit. You buy a player for £5 million on a 4 year contract, you pay him £20k a week. That is £1.25 million amortisation per year plus approx £1 million in wages. You will have various add ons with that, pension, employers NI, bonuses etc. Surely you can keep a database of all players and work out their estimated cost per year, add on various other costs such as backroom, other staff, maintenance etc. Season ticket and TV revenue would be the same all year round. It can't have been that hard to foresee we were near the FFP limit? 

Any junior office accounts exec could have done it accurately on SAGE or XERO but unfortunately this is what I imagine our team looks like at Hillsborough. 

5387946_460s_v1.jpeg.70352e141eec1b36635fb511917512d0.jpeg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, sMacLean said:

Chansiri disagrees with the idea of FFP so at the start don't think he paid any attention to it until talk of deductions and fines appeared and too late by then.

The guy comes into football not knowing nothing about the game. Disagreeing with the idea of FFP is one thing but to be in the position we are in now shoes total arrogance on his part. Saying we are all in it together as a family suggest we agreed with it?!

2 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

The guy comes into football not knowing nothing about the game. Disagreeing with the idea of FFP is one thing but to be in the position we are in now shoes total arrogance on his part. Saying we are all in it together as a family suggest we agreed with it?!

Never trusted the bloke 

From the start I said I don’t trust anybody who lets superstition interfere with business

But he’s been even worse than even I thought

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

What is the answer though.

Everything that's happened since hull/hudders is a direct consequence of the failed gamble.

Snowball effect and still getting bigger.

I'm sure dc didn't expect the bollloxe against hudders or even the rhodes experiment to fail so badly.

Besides which, most wednesdayites wouldn't have been happy just ticking over, he would have been hounded out if he hadn't opened his wallet..

Loads were reasonably happy when he got bruce...then monk.

Now it's started again, get rid...get blah blah blah.

We are fooooked cos the gamble failed.

There wern't many saying ffs don't gamble.

4 hours ago, SupremeOwl said:

"We have friends" - remember that one? 

That was his plan to combat FFP. Tells the whole story in hindsight. 

Plan B - "we are family", so will stick together on the pitch and do it what it takes to offset any damage from FFP

Guest LondonOwl313
5 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

1) he thought we would be up by now and wouldn't have to worry like Wolves

Or 

2) he didn't realise the severity when he started pushing it

Or 

3) incompetence

Maybe a mix of all 3

It’s basically number 1... knew that in summer 2015 he basically had 3 years to get us up.. didn’t start thinking about it until Xmas 2017 when it was obvious 2017/18 season was a write off imho

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, Tudders said:

We’ve made mistakes throughout but in those first couple of years we’ve been so close. It papered over a lot of cracks off the field and for us supporters it’s what’s happening on the pitch that really matters.

For a gambler,  one result letting you down on a big acca is motivation to keep throwing money at it. That’s what he’s been doing since coming so close the first two years.

I think we are coming to the a crossroads now with DC. The FFP decision will be the deciding factor in whether he carries on or not. If we lose, I think that DC will find that although he has the money, he can’t buy his way to promotion. Finding the perfect balance to achieve promotion under the constraints of FFP is tough. United found the perfect equilibrium in Wilder. Nobody could have foreseen what he would achieve on so little. Trouble is there aren’t many Wilder’s about.

DC is a multi millionaire and in any other walk of life he gets what he wants and he knows that money =progress. Unfortunately for us and him, being in the EFL is one of the only places that isn’t the case.

Tbh I fear that he’s running out of cash.. he’s sunk £100m in and is losing £20m a season. He’s also coming up with stupid ideas like the season ticket one that mean bringing forward big chunks of future years income. If FFP wasn’t an issue I don’t think he’d be spending big anyway 

google says his net worth is £400m.. think about what his family will be saying, they won’t want all his money to disappear into this black hole.. another 10 years without promotion and he’s done all his money at this rate. No chance that anybody would be prepared to risk that so he’s got to be thinking of pulling the plug somewhere down the road