Megson Football

6 minutes ago, keepitsteel89 said:

Listen he's playing with what he has in front of him, this squad before the recent arrivals with injuries inc Fletcher was fu*in terrible..There is no 'playing football' at this level with a squad like that. I really believe in Monk I think this window has been a massive first step towards clearing out the dead wood and showing players the club is'nt taking S2it anymore 

No it isn’t, he’s just making excuses Needs to stop, and just get on with the job

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No it isn’t, he’s just making excuses Needs to stop, and just get on with the job

What job..picking a team to win a game? I'm not gonna defend some of his decisions because he has cost us points your right but its the quad not the manager, how many mangers dose this squad need to go through for that to sink in lol

5 minutes ago, keepitsteel89 said:

Listen he's playing with what he has in front of him, this squad before the recent arrivals with injuries inc Fletcher was fu*in terrible..There is no 'playing football' at this level with a squad like that. I really believe in Monk I think this window has been a massive first step towards clearing out the dead wood and showing players the club is'nt taking S2it anymore 

Im not bothered about us playing 'sublime' football and i certainly don't ever want to watch the 'tippy tappy' sxxt that we saw in carlos last season (that some consider to be good football).  Im English, im happy to watch an effective brand of English football and if that means regularly launching a long ball forwards then so be it.  Im not spanish or Portuguese or even dutch and i don't want to be bored to death watching the back 4 playing the ball left to right all game with just an occasional ball back and forth to defensive midfield players who don't attempt to cross tha half way line. This to me is utterly boring but most of all it relies on your forwards being world class (which none of ours are).  Endeavor is what i want to watch and i want it from the first kick to the last. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

All clubs will usually have similar issues over the course of a season, but we now have a squad that should be able to deal with whatever is thrown up Regarding our chances of promotion, I agree with aren’t one of the favourites, but I think if we give it a go, playing a more attractive brand of football, most will be happy. Our squad is not so limited, that we have to just grind out results. Yes, some circumstance might dictate that we may occasionally need to take that approach, but most the time, surely we can go head to head with our opponents. Personally, I’m optimistic, as long as Monk changes his approach to games

Unfortunately every team naturally plays more defensively when the defenders are struggling on their own. There is absolutely no point in hanging around up front waiting for the ball, if the defence is being run ragged, because they are too slow, not fit enough or just not good enough to stop the opposition. Managers do not have to teach that, it comes out of necessity. 

On the plus side we now have 4, or 5 decent wingers, although three of them are left sided, four if you count Forestieri as a left sided attacker, which he has been for the vast majority of his career.

We also have an extra striker, with Wickham, but although Atdhe is our best statistically, up to now, showing higher average performances than any of the others according to stats and what we have seen him do so far, he is not exactly setting the world on fire, but then neither are Rhodes, Winnal, or Forestieri, if you want to class him as a striker. So a lot depends on how Wickham, Windass and Cruz can alter the dynamic of the team and improve our terrible statistic for missing chances, which should not be too difficult considering some of their goalscoring feats. 

Yes, it should definitely be more exciting, but it was before Fletcher got injured and that was not Monks fault either. The over simplification of blaming all of our players, injuries, mistakes, loss of concentration and other frailties on Monk and his tactics is over used and woefully inaccurate. Monks team plays exciting football when he has the players willing and capable of delivering it. Just recently they have excelled at being unwilling and incapable, conceding stupid goals that are their own fault and missing too any chances at the other end. The chances have been there in most games, but the finish has not. So it's wait and see time, but with three attacking players added and the possibility of more goals looking likely, it should definitely be more exciting to watch, as long as the defence and midfield can hold up. Monk has had to try and improve all three areas at the same time with very limited options up to now, so let's get behind him and the team, because it might not all be plain sailing for HMS Cruz the league!

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Why are you making excuses for players who just do not care what you see them doing on the pitch? Monk made excuses for them too, but some of the rubbish they have churned out is indefensible. Like our defence!

22 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Why are you making excuses for players who just do not care what you see them doing on the pitch? Monk made excuses for them too, but some of the rubbish they have churned out is indefensible. Like our defence!

We have an experienced squad of more than 25 players, am I expected to believe that most of them have an attitude problem? Isn’t it more likely that problem probably is Monk?

• Haha 1

Every manager  ( except a few) wants to play like Barcelona, Liverpool, Man city....blah.

Without the right players impossible. So go with what you have, if that's lumping it forad, or 'dinosaur football' sobeit.

Find a way to win, it can be done.

England managers are particularly guilty at trying to be a tactical genious...without the right players it's foooking nuts and will never work.

The piggie manager know's what's what.

He's found a way, with the false 5, offensive football and some would say re-fashioned from old fashioned, overlapping centre backs, rather than full backs.

Together with an old type centre foreward...billy sharp...leon thingie worked quite well in getting promoted.

The same system remains in the prem but with what seems to be up to now... with better players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We have an experienced squad of more than 25 players, am I expected to believe that most of them have an attitude problem? Isn’t it more likely that problem probably is Monk?

Yeah, silly me, I forgot that all the failures of the last four seasons were nothing to do with the players!

If we manage to hit the heights again this season don't forget to blame Monk for that too, because that will definitely not be anything to do with the players either!

52 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Every manager  ( except a few) wants to play like Barcelona, Liverpool, Man city....blah.

Without the right players impossible. So go with what you have, if that's lumping it forad, or 'dinosaur football' sobeit.

Find a way to win, it can be done.

England managers are particularly guilty at trying to be a tactical genious...without the right players it's foooking nuts and will never work.

The piggie manager know's what's what.

He's found a way, with the false 5, offensive football and some would say re-fashioned from old fashioned, overlapping centre backs, rather than full backs.

Together with an old type centre foreward...billy sharp...leon thingie worked quite well in getting promoted.

The same system remains in the prem but with what seems to be up to now... with better players.

Wow.. Youve got it nailed.

Not bothered how we do it, just do it. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Blimey I'm not sure why I keep reacting to daft comments that have very little thought, or facts behind them and some posts make me wonder if they have been written by somebody with less memory than a goldfish in the the late stages of Alzheimer's!

I have lifted these names from the club website and can only find 23 experienced players in our squad that were at the club for the 30 games played up to now. The stats are from whoscored.com

Just a cursory look at the stats gives you a few ideas regarding why our season might not have been so brilliant so far, such as several key players playing very few games, but factor in also the fact that our manager jumped ship at the start of the season and that we dragged our heels finding a replacement and you get a rough idea of why we are where we are, before even looking at the rest. You can see from the figures, if you don't remember all the games, that our defence, midfield and attack have all varied greatly along the way, mainly through injury, illness etc, but also with players not showing what was required in training etc. 2 of our 23 "experienced" players have not started a single game, or featured at all in the 30 league games played and one has only started 2 games. Our captain has missed more games than he has started and we do not have any players that have been ever present. Two of our most started players were new to the club this summer and one of those has been subbed more than any other player. So an ever changing line-up has been the main feature of our season so far, with a bug and injuries greatly contributing to this stat. Sorry about the formatting.

23 experienced players Started from 30  

Keiren  
Westwood 14

Cameron  
Dawson 16

Paul  
Jones 0

Liam  
Palmer 20

Morgan  
Fox 21

Julian  
Börner 21

Tom  
Lees (CAPTAIN) 14

Moses  
Odubajo 15

David  
Bates 0

Dominic  
Iorfa 26

Kieran  
Lee 11

Kadeem  
Harris 28

Joey  
Pelupessy 5

Barry  
Bannan 27

Jacob  
Murphy 13

Adam  
Reach 24

Massimo  
Luongo 9

Sam  
Hutchinson 20

Jordan  
Rhodes 4

Steven  
Fletcher 21

Sam  
Winnall 6

Atdhe  
Nuhiu 11

Fernando  
Forestieri 2

I guess it boils down to what you’re happy watching Of course we’d all like to be winning every game, but that ain’t gonna happen, so let’s at least be able to enjoy the football. That’s not a lot to ask, in fact it’s what the chairman promised. 
For those saying you can only play with the players you have, that’s true to a certain extent, but look no further than what Wilder has done with those players. Yes they’ve bought into what he wants, and they work hard, but they also play good football. It can be done, but there are no signs, as yet, of Monk being similarly tactically astute. 
On a more general note, footballing ability has massively improved in this country in recent years, but would that be the case if Megson or Pulis were the norm. Thankfully they are not.

1 minute ago, Simaniac Owl said:

Exactly. It’s all about winning. 

Coincidently. 

B2706799-9F1F-4A1E-9C6B-205FBD2A043B.jpeg.9c8c0822fcf9a7f4cfd9b88b950296d6.jpeg

garymegson

Pity he wasnt going to win automatic promotion with us.

Its amazing how sad some of our fans are that they pine after him. As if he actually achieved anything.  Still making the poo Megson references 8 years later.

20 hours ago, Blue and white said:

I'm implying Megson had a dust up with MM for shoving his nose into the team selection, Milan wasn't a fan of COG, Megson stuck up for him, called Milan words to the effect he was Serbian  C U N T and was sacked with in days.

Watch Megsons last game agaisnt the  blunts when COG scores the winner and watch him head straight for Megson.

Real manager, real passion, takes no prisoners will never manage here again under DC for the obvious reason.

We have no evidence of MM interfering.

If Megson did say that then it shows him up very poorly.

20 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Blimey I'm not sure why I keep reacting to daft comments that have very little thought, or facts behind them and some posts make me wonder if they have been written by somebody with less memory than a goldfish in the the late stages of Alzheimer's!

I have lifted these names from the club website and can only find 23 experienced players in our squad that were at the club for the 30 games played up to now. The stats are from whoscored.com

Just a cursory look at the stats gives you a few ideas regarding why our season might not have been so brilliant so far, such as several key players playing very few games, but factor in also the fact that our manager jumped ship at the start of the season and that we dragged our heels finding a replacement and you get a rough idea of why we are where we are, before even looking at the rest. You can see from the figures, if you don't remember all the games, that our defence, midfield and attack have all varied greatly along the way, mainly through injury, illness etc, but also with players not showing what was required in training etc. 2 of our 23 "experienced" players have not started a single game, or featured at all in the 30 league games played and one has only started 2 games. Our captain has missed more games than he has started and we do not have any players that have been ever present. Two of our most started players were new to the club this summer and one of those has been subbed more than any other player. So an ever changing line-up has been the main feature of our season so far, with a bug and injuries greatly contributing to this stat. Sorry about the formatting.

23 experienced players Started from 30  

Keiren  
Westwood 14

Cameron  
Dawson 16

Paul  
Jones 0

Liam  
Palmer 20

Morgan  
Fox 21

Julian  
Börner 21

Tom  
Lees (CAPTAIN) 14

Moses  
Odubajo 15

David  
Bates 0

Dominic  
Iorfa 26

Kieran  
Lee 11

Kadeem  
Harris 28

Joey  
Pelupessy 5

Barry  
Bannan 27

Jacob  
Murphy 13

Adam  
Reach 24

Massimo  
Luongo 9

Sam  
Hutchinson 20

Jordan  
Rhodes 4

Steven  
Fletcher 21

Sam  
Winnall 6

Atdhe  
Nuhiu 11

Fernando  
Forestieri 2

Again, these are issues that all clubs face. Injuries are part and parcel of any sports club, and other recent managers suffered far more in that respect. You are also being a bit disingenuous, our skipper has only started that many games, mainly because he was kept out by a better pairing. As I mentioned, it’s not necessarily the results, results wise, I think we are roughly where we should be. That I can accept, but I don’t believe we have to resort to such negative tactics to maintain a mid table position. 

Edited by gurujuan

15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I guess it boils down to what you’re happy watching Of course we’d all like to be winning every game, but that ain’t gonna happen, so let’s at least be able to enjoy the football. That’s not a lot to ask, in fact it’s what the chairman promised. 
For those saying you can only play with the players you have, that’s true to a certain extent, but look no further than what Wilder has done with those players. Yes they’ve bought into what he wants, and they work hard, but they also play good football. It can be done, but there are no signs, as yet, of Monk being similarly tactically astute. 
On a more general note, footballing ability has massively improved in this country in recent years, but would that be the case if Megson or Pulis were the norm. Thankfully they are not.

Before United kicked a ball in anger under his guidance, Wilder was able to sell, loan out or release 24 players, and bring in 13 of his own.

He was able to very quickly shape the squad as he wanted, rather than having to make do with players who didn't suit his style or mentality.

Unfortunately, Monk has had no such luxury here.

2 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Pity he wasnt going to win automatic promotion with us.

Its amazing how sad some of our fans are that they pine after him. As if he actually achieved anything.  Still making the poo Megson references 8 years later.

2 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

We have no evidence of MM interfering.

If Megson did say that then it shows him up very poorly.

Not only are you psychic, you seem to be a bit bitter too.

Stick to watching Linfield mucka.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Not only are you psychic, you seem to be a bit bitter too.

Stick to watching Linfield mucka.

Merely stating my opinion on the matter. I can't help that  you don't like it. Nothing to be bitter about as Jones came in and we went up.

And why would I watch Linfield a club I can't stand. I follow the results of  biggest rivals Glentoran as well. Used to go to their games all the time as a kid.

Ill continue to watch Wednesday like yourself.

Edited by Belfast Owl 2