Megson Football

On 03/02/2020 at 15:07, Blue and white said:

He thought he did, he then went to see Megson and put his point across only to be told to shove it up his ring (or words to that effect).

Sadly the rest is history.

So are you implying that Megson resigned??    News to me!

9 minutes ago, Kevan said:

So are you implying that Megson resigned??    News to me!

I'm implying Megson had a dust up with MM for shoving his nose into the team selection, Milan wasn't a fan of COG, Megson stuck up for him, called Milan words to the effect he was Serbian  C U N T and was sacked with in days.

Watch Megsons last game agaisnt the  blunts when COG scores the winner and watch him head straight for Megson.

Real manager, real passion, takes no prisoners will never manage here again under DC for the obvious reason.

Edited by Blue and white
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

I'm implying Megson had a dust up with MM for shoving his nose into the team selection, Milan wasn't a fan of COG, Megson stuck up for him, called Milan words to the effect he was Serbian  C U N T and was sacked with in days.

Watch Megsons last game agaisnt the  blunts when COG scores the winner and watch him head straight for Megson.

Real manager, real passion, takes no prisoners will never manage here again under DC for the obvious reason.

Ok.  I wasn't aware of that level of detail.  Clearly there was a disagreement between MM and Gary Megson and I for one was surprised he was sacked immediately after beating the Blunts.  I was convinced that he would have taken us up, but of course he wasn't given the chance.

3 minutes ago, Kevan said:

Ok.  I wasn't aware of that level of detail.  Clearly there was a disagreement between MM and Gary Megson and I for one was surprised he was sacked immediately after beating the Blunts.  I was convinced that he would have taken us up, but of course he wasn't given the chance.

Meh

Megson said his next two signings  would have been Chris basham and Chris woods on loans ....both playing regular premier league football now !!......Antonio was lined up by megson ....... S””t players like van aken ..abdi  etc would never have been signed by megson

11 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

Megson said his next two signings  would have been Chris basham and Chris woods on loans ....both playing regular premier league football now !!......Antonio was lined up by megson ....... S””t players like van aken ..abdi  etc would never have been signed by megson

Megson was his own worst enemy, and his failure to adapt to the changes in the modern game, meant he was always going to be short lived. Basham has reinvented himself under a proper coach like Wilder, something that would never have happened under Megson. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

Hang on, two six month loans for players who were both young and untried at the time and you reckon we'd have been playing premier league quality football? Reckon you need to give your Megson tinted glasses a clean, they've got some of whatever you've been smoking all over the lenses...

Edited by Minton

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Megson was his own worst enemy, and his failure to adapt to the changes in the modern game, meant he was always going to be short lived. Basham has reinvented himself under a proper coach like Wilder, something that would never have happened under Megson. 

21 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

Abdi was a great singing...when he signed. Everyone here thought it was a great move. Watford fans were gutted he left. Obvs, it didn't work out, but we weren't to know that 

• Haha 1

What I’m saying is megson could spot potential in players and which players could do a job for us .....basham/ woods were unknown players then but megson  saw potential in them .... What have we now ????....Overpaid ageing so called stars with NO sell on value ..... You need to take off your ...everything’s fine tinted glasses !!!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

What I’m saying is megson could spot potential in players and which players could do a job for us .....basham/ woods were unknown players then but megson  saw potential in them .... What have we now ????....Overpaid ageing so called stars with NO sell on value ..... You need to take off your ...everything’s fine tinted glasses !!!

I don’t think anyone would suggest everything’s fine, certainly not the football as an entertainment, hence the comparisons with the Megson era. Can’t deny that there were good things that Megson brought to the table, but overall, his time here was not a happy one Similar to these times under Monk, we could achieve impressive results, but then often look very ordinary

Edited by gurujuan

51 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

By extension, Chris turner was excellent for us as he brought in Brunt etc 

39 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t think anyone would suggest everything’s fine, certainly not the football as an entertainment, hence the comparisons with the Megson era. Can’t deny that there were good things that Megson brought to the table, but overall, his time here was not a happy one Similar to these times under Monk, we could achieve impressive results, but then often look very ordinary

And thats why im giving monk time before jumping on the 'monk out' bandwagon (dispite the fact that he was the last manager i wanted here). Managers who can get results while 'building and stripping the squad' deserve some credit and up till recently, monk was doing this albeit with a miles better squad/smaller problem than megson had.  Playing poorly but still getting results is not necessarily a bad thing in our situation. 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Modern game ???.....I bet stoke and Ipswich fans wish they still had McCarthy and Pulis ...Two other managers that supposedly couldn’t adapt to the modern game 

8 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

Modern game ???.....I bet stoke and Ipswich fans wish they still had McCarthy and Pulis ...Two other managers that supposedly couldn’t adapt to the modern game 

I think Ipswich did play football, for the most part anyway, under McCarthy Really don’t know why anyone would wish they still had Pulis It’s only since football has moved away from those type of managers, that the English game has now emerged from the shadows

36 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

And thats why im giving monk time before jumping on the 'monk out' bandwagon (dispite the fact that he was the last manager i wanted here). Managers who can get results while 'building and stripping the squad' deserve some credit and up till recently, monk was doing this albeit with a miles better squad/smaller problem than megson had.  Playing poorly but still getting results is not necessarily a bad thing in our situation. 

Yes, we are a division higher too and our last three managers have had very little to spend at all! The damage was done early on in DC's ownership, by not gradually buying enough players who were good enough in each position. We either needed two old unfit players, or one superfit player in each position if DC was going to splurge all of his budget in the first two seasons!  Megson would have got the sack from DC before letting him pick his team, but Monk is a bit more accommodating. Although we will see how strong he is and how well backed he will be by DC this summer. If the EFL do a U turn, we might even get our first transfer window in ages where we can actually rebuild the team!

:1276983839_MonkHome: garymegson

RETURN OF THE GINGER! 

10 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Yes, we are a division higher too and our last three managers have had very little to spend at all! The damage was done early on in DC's ownership, by not gradually buying enough players who were good enough in each position. We either needed two old unfit players, or one superfit player in each position if DC was going to splurge all of his budget in the first two seasons!  Megson would have got the sack from DC before letting him pick his team, but Monk is a bit more accommodating. Although we will see how strong he is and how well backed he will be by DC this summer. If the EFL do a U turn, we might even get our first transfer window in ages where we can actually rebuild the team!

:1276983839_MonkHome: garymegson

RETURN OF THE GINGER! 

I think he has it all to prove during the remainder of this season With the new signings, and the return of Forestieri, Monk now has plenty of options for every position. Hopefully we will now start to play entertaining football, which I feel would strengthen his position no end People will put up with a mixed bag of results, if the football were better 

Edited by gurujuan

I agree, but defensively, midfield wise and quality striker wise we are still a bit thin on the ground to be bankers for a consistent push up the table. If everything goes our way, then we are in with a good chance of an exciting finish to the season.

I love Luongo to bits and really thought he was going to play most games for us this season, but it turns out he has spent so many games injured and has started less than half the number of games that Hutch. At the end of the season Luongo and Bannan will be the only two recognised first team central midfielders whose contracts are not up. In the meantime we cannot rely on Pelupessy, Hutchinson, or Lee, being good enough or fit enough to stand in for Luongo in the middle, or Windass fitting in quick enough to replace Bannan, if that is our only other option for a creative midfielder.

Defensively we have three fullbacks, but two of them are notoriously unpredictable, playing awfully one minute and making mistakes that lead to goals in most games and both naturally right sided. In the middle we have three centre halves one of whom is new to the position, but has really helped the other two out, while they have been injured or "ill", but Borner looks as though he has some problem at the moment that affects his agility and speed, although his skill and determination make up for some of his problems, he does still get caught out a lot against more mobile attackers.

Edited by Ante's Bubbly

4 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

I agree, but defensively, midfield wise and quality striker wise we are still a bit thin on the ground to be bankers for a consistent push up the table. If everything goes our way, then we are in with a good chance of an exciting finish to the season.

I love Luongo to bits and really thought he was going to play most games for us this season, but it turns out he has spent so many games injured and has started less than half the number of games that Hutch. At the end of the season Luongo and Bannan will be the only two recognised first team central midfielders whose contracts are not up. In the meantime we cannot rely on Pelupessy, Hutchinson, or Lee, being good enough or fit enough to stand in for Luongo in the middle, or Windass fitting in quick enough to replace Bannan, if that is our only other option for a creative midfielder.

Defensively we have three fullbacks, but two of them are notoriously unpredictable, playing awfully one minute and making mistakes that lead to goals in most games and both naturally right sided. In the middle we have three centre halves one of whom is new to the position, but has really helped the other two out, while they have been injured or "ill", but Borner looks as though he has some problem at the moment that affects his agility and speed, although his skill and determination make up for some of his problems, he does still get caught out a lot against more mobile attackers.

All clubs will usually have similar issues over the course of a season, but we now have a squad that should be able to deal with whatever is thrown up Regarding our chances of promotion, I agree with aren’t one of the favourites, but I think if we give it a go, playing a more attractive brand of football, most will be happy. Our squad is not so limited, that we have to just grind out results. Yes, some circumstance might dictate that we may occasionally need to take that approach, but most the time, surely we can go head to head with our opponents. Personally, I’m optimistic, as long as Monk changes his approach to games

Listen he's playing with what he has in front of him, this squad before the recent arrivals with injuries inc Fletcher was fu*in terrible..There is no 'playing football' at this level with a squad like that. I really believe in Monk I think this window has been a massive first step towards clearing out the dead wood and showing players the club is'nt taking S2it anymore 

Edited by keepitsteel89
  • Like 1