Megson Football

On 01/02/2020 at 23:31, markg said:

Nowhere near as effective. We spent had a team that fought for each other 

True, but Megson had to get rid of the '"Footbal'ers" to get that camaraderie.

This lot have been together since the 'Kick-a-ball' days and still think they can stroll about the pitch.

Edited by adelphi1867

Guest LittleG
On 02/02/2020 at 09:58, Owlinmad said:

Millwall were above us in the table before the game so why are people surprised we didn't beat them ?

A draw against a team above you is never a bad result.

We are a mid table Championship team at the moment. Why can't people accept that and stop thinking we deserve to be going for promotion ?

I think the majority of fans know we are not good enough for promotion; it's the way we are currently playing that is the issue. If people are fine with a dire 0-0 draw at home to Millwall that's their prerogative.

The thing I didn't like about Megson was his substitutions

Many a time he would take our danger man off then the opposition would get back into the game

I remember being in the crowd away at Walsall

We were leading 1-0

In the last 10 minutes he took off our two most influential players

Suddenly Walsall were all over us

They scored two injury time goals to win 2-1

Pretty sure he also took Ben Marshall off when we had gone 4-2 ahead against Hunddersfield, only for us to be pegged back

And Megson signed Julian Bennett twice, for me that says everything I needed to know about the man

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

On 01/02/2020 at 17:11, TodwickOwl said:

Lump and hope

No real football happening at all, it’s dire to watch - and even more hopeless watching Big Dave tow a caravan around all afternoon 

Is this the same Megson football that he got us promoted with? If so here's to success

3 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

I don't remember Megson getting us promoted.

No you wouldn't but its a fact that it was the team that megson assembled that went up.  I think most on here that experienced the wilkinson era appreciated what megson did (and/or would have done).  Those a little younger probably think we can get back to the top flight by playing like Man City. 

8 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

No you wouldn't but its a fact that it was the team that megson assembled that went up.  I think most on here that experienced the wilkinson era appreciated what megson did (and/or would have done).  Those a little younger probably think we can get back to the top flight by playing like Man City. 

You're right, it was his team but their eventual success certainly wasn't down to him. In the ten games before he was finally sacked we won three and lost five (won 4, lost 4 if just going on league games). In the ten games after he was sacked we won seven and lost none. Megson did not get us promoted.

Edited by punkskaphil