Megson Football

Guest Kagoshimaowl
6 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

I know Wednesday didn’t play particularly well,  but sometimes it’s impossible to play good football with an opposition that sets up like Millwall - they really were hoof ball merchants. Probably was only ever going to be a dire game. It was more of a physical battle. 

The ref didn’t really help the game either. 

They played more football than we did for the majority of the game

Guest Kagoshimaowl
4 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

No they didn’t they were awful 

Yes they did. WE were awful. The only time we got the ball down was when Da Cruz and Nando came on the pitch. Then we looked half decent without ever looking like scoring 

Edited by Kagoshimaowl

Megson had a game plan and a style of play. Dangerous from set pieces, crosses into the box. It certainly wasn’t hit and hope.

This under Monk, well I’m not quite sure what it is at the moment. Until Fletch’s injury I thought he was building a style, but since then we’ve been absolutely lost. 

2 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Yes they did. WE were awful. The only time we got the ball down was when Da Cruz and Nando came on the pitch. Then we looked half decent without ever looking like scoring 

I’m not arguing about Wednesdays performance, it wasn’t good. But my point is a lot of teams struggling against Millwall because they’re a physical team who play an awful brand of football. 

It’s effective, but it’s not football. 

24 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

I’m not arguing about Wednesdays performance, it wasn’t good. But my point is a lot of teams struggling against Millwall because they’re a physical team who play an awful brand of football. 

It’s effective, but it’s not football. 

Until Forestieri came on, it was football from a bygone era

5 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Not during his first half a season in charge, they didn't. We won 6 and lost 9 of our first 20 League One games under Megson, including losing 3-0 to Tranmere, 4-2 to Plymouth, and 4-1 to Peterborough.

It's only once he was able to shift a lot of the deadwood and bring his own players in during the summer transfer window that we saw a better mentality start to emerge.

There might be a lesson for us in there somewhere...

Id agree 100%

Millwall were above us in the table before the game so why are people surprised we didn't beat them ?

A draw against a team above you is never a bad result.

We are a mid table Championship team at the moment. Why can't people accept that and stop thinking we deserve to be going for promotion ?

I would take Megson in a heartbeat all things being equal because he really understands the club and the expectations of the fans. However, he just wouldn’t be able to operate the way the club is structured; he’s not a yes man.

By the way, I don’t have a problem with Monk either per se but I do worry that maybe he’s not forceful enough, just my feeling. His hands are tied with this squad for sure but he would have known that when he came in.

RE the match yesterday, we are at home, I believe the onus is on us to impose ourselves on ANY opposition that takes the field, not worry about what they will do. If we did that I think the majority of fans would be happier.

5 minutes ago, Owlinmad said:

Millwall were above us in the table before the game so why are people surprised we didn't beat them ?

We are a mid table Championship team at the moment. Why can't people accept that and stop thinking we deserve to be going for promotion ?

It’s not that people expected us to beat them, as you say, they are a tough side to break down It’s more the way we go about trying to do that, it’s all a bit predictable, or it was until Forestieri came on

13 minutes ago, Owlinmad said:

Yep. If you didn't feel a little bit better about us at 5pm than 3pm yesterday you've not been paying attention. We earned a point against a form side, we had a spell of 20 minutes where we played OK. And we have the two signings from Friday to come. It was a long way from great but at least the rot has stopped

With all the off pitch shenanigans and our recent poor form I think Monk did a decent job today.

Against a team in good form played a steady containing set up and then went for the win in the last half an hour with two attacking substitutions.

A point gained in my book and bit of a confidence boost considering our dismal performances of late.

On 02/02/2020 at 08:36, bigdan2003 said:

I know Wednesday didn’t play particularly well,  but sometimes it’s impossible to play good football with an opposition that sets up like Millwall - they really were hoof ball merchants. Probably was only ever going to be a dire game. It was more of a physical battle. 

The ref didn’t really help the game either. 

What was our excuse against Wigan, Blackburn, Hull, Cardiff and Stoke?

• Like 1

On 01/02/2020 at 18:06, McRightSide said:

Megson had a plan.

With the help of Milan

Up Jawbone we'd run to be fitter than everyone else

With Julian Bennett at the back, Milan knew we would crack

So after we beat pigs, he gave ginger messiah the sack

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

On 02/02/2020 at 08:52, SallyCinnamon said:

Megson had a game plan and a style of play. Dangerous from set pieces, crosses into the box. It certainly wasn’t hit and hope.

This under Monk, well I’m not quite sure what it is at the moment. Until Fletch’s injury I thought he was building a style, but since then we’ve been absolutely lost. 

Similar to his time at Boro. He doesn't really have a style. With all the players out of contract in summer our squad will look very different next year. Worries me a bit that Monk is likely to be in charge of that process.