Was Jos wrong after all ?

Guest LondonOwl313
6 minutes ago, 83owl said:

You honestly believe we are the 3rd best team even with a fully fit squad? We were only in that position as the league is really tight this year and we weren’t even at the halfway point. Any half decent run of results would have seen any team in the same position. 

There’s is a losing mentality at the club which has been proven by the fact that despite large investment we are no better off than 6 years ago. 

Net transfer spend is negative for the last 3 years.. since Rhodes was signed we’ve only signed Van Aken, Pelupessy, Iorfa and Luongo for fees, and sold Hunt and Joao for more. Unfortunately the large investment made is historical now as none of it remains in the squad. It’s ridiculous mismanagement 

JOS: At the end of the day a lot of us knew jos intentions were honourable and based on common sense and sound economics. The trouble is the managers position requires a huge personality if only to pacify the fanbase. 

BRUCE: The Huge personality we needed. The legacy of bruce (imo) is the reason why we recently found ourselves in 3rd place.  Sadly (for him and us) the man moved on but i think it was inevitable.  Unforturnately no 'huge personality' is going to be happy to do the job with minimal funds and potential dictation when it comes to recruiting playing staff (an opinion bruce openly expressed when he left Hull) 

MONK:  On the subject of monks position I agree with a poster earler who said monk is renown for making excuses and blaming others.. It just so happens that in this case he very likely, might have a point. 

So where do we go from here.  Well I think realistic expectations from the owner and fanbase are absolutely essential in the short term if the club is going to progress in the long term. 

1 minute ago, Anlaby Owl said:

JOS: At the end of the day a lot of us knew jos intentions were honourable and based on common sense and sound economics. The trouble is the managers position requires a huge personality if only to pacify the fanbase. 

BRUCE: The Huge personality we needed. The legacy of bruce (imo) is the reason why we recently found ourselves in 3rd place.  Sadly (for him and us) the man moved on but i think it was inevitable.  Unforturnately no 'huge personality' is going to be happy to do the job with minimal funds and potential dictation when it comes to recruiting playing staff (an opinion bruce openly expressed when he left Hull) 

MONK:  On the subject of monks position I agree with a poster earler who said monk is renown for making excuses and blaming others.. It just so happens that in this case he very likely, might have a point. 

So where do we go from here.  Well I think realistic expectations from the owner and fanbase are absolutely essential in the short term if the club is going to progress in the long term. 

I’d query the point about Bruce’s legacy Not that I don’t agree with you, but if it’s his legacy that saw the side recently rise to 3rd place, then by definition, it’s his legacy that’s seen us slump to 11th 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferkorf said:

So if that was such an issue why didnt the club get rid...

Or any of the other 3 managers after carlos....

If his attitude was such a huge problem how did he get given a new contract?

Because at the time he was our best player and a match winner and the club took the the short term view that without him we were unlikely to get promoted.

Over indulging players doesnt work in the long term.

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’d query the point about Bruce’s legacy Not that I don’t agree with you, but if it’s his legacy that saw the side recently rise to 3rd place, then by definition, it’s his legacy that’s seen us slump to 11th 

My point was that we started the season on a high, with a 'swagger'  (probably due to bruces influence) and it now seems to have worn off. 

jos was awful but he inherited 15 players injured ,a massive squad of dead wood and had not a penny to spend as well as an embargo all due to chansiri and Carlos's mess .but im not getting all this we must play the u23s, hardly any of them would cut it at the bottom of league 2 so why are they suddenly going to be our saviour? the u23 results this past 18 months have been very poor , I think nearly all of them need releasing at the end of the season and a massive revamp is needed ,we need new coaches for 1st team and u23s a complete new way of doing things . but I don't get some supporters saying borokov he has only scored twice all season and only a u23 sub this past month . the young lad hunt looks like a lost boy he is half the size of other players ,why would we want these young lads who aint ready getting the most toxic atmosphere this Saturday , the young right back looked like a rabbit in the headlights for the blackburn game. there are no easy fixes ,but id like at least 4 new signings this week and hopefully some leaving but that is almost impossible nobody wants our rubbish. 

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Monk’s public outburst has done nothing to help the situation, stating the obvious, in such a way, just reflects badly on him

On the contrary I think it was totally needed. 

Firstly to indicate to the fan base that’s he’s on the same page and can now see the big problem.

Secondly, letting it known publicly that he’s worked out who is still in a comfort bubble and they are soon to be shown the door

5 hours ago, torryowl said:

Jos had the right idea he just didn't have the young players who good enough to implement  his thinking coupled with being unable to buy new players and sell them he didn't want he was always going to struggle 

So the wrong idea then based on what he had to work with?

It certainly got better when we got rid and got a manager in who knew how to manage egos and get the best out of what he had to work with.

Guest Theboylangers

I cannot believe that some are defending Jos, one of the worst managers we've ever had. 

lol

I'm not even sure that garymegsoncould sort this lot out though. 

Edited by Theboylangers

3 hours ago, rickygoo said:

I thought Huddersfield were a one-off. And people probably said the same of Cardiff and Burnley.

The first trick is getting there, the second is staying there. Wilder obviously appreciates that.

Cardiff and Burnley might have looked unattractive but they play in the style of their managers. 

Don't be fooled into thinking either didn't spend good money at this level. Cardiff had plenty of PL experience and spent £6M in the January transfer window on a player who has rarely looked the part at this level.

2 minutes ago, Theboylangers said:

I cannot believe that some are defending Jos, one of the worst managers we've ever had. 

lol

No one is saying he was a good manager. However, he did have the right thought process with this squad. His tactics let’s him down massively.

29 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

My point was that we started the season on a high, with a 'swagger'  (probably due to bruces influence) and it now seems to have worn off. 

We hardly played with a swagger under Bullen! 

We were 6 games unbeaten and in 3rd place by Christmas, half of the season gone you can't say that was a fluke. Everyone involved needs to take a look at what they have delivered since then.

Guest Ferkorf
38 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Because at the time he was our best player and a match winner and the club took the the short term view that without him we were unlikely to get promoted.

Over indulging players doesnt work in the long term.

This was 2017.

3 years ago, 3 years to get rid of him hardly a short term view.

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Monk’s public outburst has done nothing to help the situation, stating the obvious, in such a way, just reflects badly on him

Yet if he hadn't said what he said he'd have been hammered for 'dishing out the same old platitudes wouldn't he

'We'll do better next time."  or "There will be a response"

He can't win really whatever he says. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Yet if he hadn't said what he said he'd have been hammered for 'dishing out the same old platitudes wouldn't he

'We'll do better next time."  or "There will be a response"

He can't win really whatever he says. 

Then say nothing, or perhaps refer to the lack of balance in the squad As I said, if those words were aimed at Bannan, and he doesn’t fit Monk’s profile, work on changing things this week.

5 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

im still at a loss as to how these alleged trouble causes Westwood, hutch, Ff et al are to blame for Blackburn and last night.

they weren’t even in the squad, if you want to play a guessing game as to what is goi g on fine but for the love of god stop trying to pass the buck to them for our last half dozen or so games in the league where we have failed to turn up. 

reckon if Westwood,Hutch and FF had played last night don't think we would have lost imo,think Dawson was in no man's land for their 2nd