• Murphy
    • Lees
    • Fletcher
    • Luongo
    • Reach
    • Winnall
    • Harris
    • Lee

Agree with Snooty's analysis on this one.  Iorfa man of match, what a performance.  Love the way he reads the game from centre half.  This was the best I have seen Pelupessy play in a Wednesday shirt.  To me he is usually a step off the pace but today he was bang on it, breaking up their play and neat passing when he had the ball.  Murphy okay but his set piece delivery was awful. Luongo and Lee fantastic in centre mid and deserve to keep the shirt next week.  Good all round performance and well done Monk for selecting a strong 11.  Lovely to see the senior players giving praise to Urghogode at the end. Great day, well done Wednesday. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, prowl said:

Iorfa gets my vote. After a few poor games he seems to have found his form again. I hope he keeps it up.

Urug ugur uhug Urhoghide was very impressive on his debut. If he can sustain that form Palmer will need to be at his best if he wants a game.

We actually looked better without Bannan than we have the last few games. I'm not saying Bannan is bad it's just that nobody else gets a chance to shine if Bannan is on the pitch. If we could get Bannan on the pitch AND get the other midfielders playing their game rather than leaving it all to Bannan we would be a force to be reckoned with.

This in my opinion has been one of our biggest problems for years. Bannan is class but its almost like others are frightened to do anything other than give it to him. Then we have the opposition expecting everything to go through him which invariably it does. We still score many goals through his supply of course but we are rather a one trick pony more often than not. 

12 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Pelupessy -8- I thought he was super today. I really did. "Wey, he dint do owt!" will be the cry. Nothing seen. The unseen work. Getting good angles and taking out Brighton passing options so the man in possesion has to do that daft drag back that footballers love so much and look for another option. I thought he performed the role of anchorman today brilliantly. Didn't go haring about and charging into tackles. Kept our shape and gave the platform for Luongo and Lees to go and hunt the man in possession. It'll not be a popular opinion I'm sure as he wasn't pinging the ball about left right and centre but for me he was one of the main reasons we've had this performance today. The unseen bolt. 

Agree, he made a couple of tackles that were superb. 

2 hours ago, Buddy Repperton said:

Agree, he made a couple of tackles that were superb. 

Unassuming and just getting on with the job. I thought he played really well today.  And it really helped Luongo and Lee get around more knowing he was tucked in. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

This in my opinion has been one of our biggest problems for years. Bannan is class but its almost like others are frightened to do anything other than give it to him. Then we have the opposition expecting everything to go through him which invariably it does. We still score many goals through his supply of course but we are rather a one trick pony more often than not. 

I have been thinking the same lately. Are the others afraid that the little mardy Scotsman will bite their ankles if every play doesn't involve him? We have been very one-dimensional so the opposition team doesn't need to be a group of rocket scientists to figure it out. Yesterday, we were very different and I really liked it. And I think that shirts are earned so these lads should be given the next match as well. Theirs to lose and so on.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Dawson - 7 - Did he have a save to make the whole game? Can't remember one. Made a hash of things, when he came rushing out in the 1st half, but otherwise looked very comfortable. 

15 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Dawson -7 -  One errant moment when he came racing out, but other than that an assured display. Held things. Tried to get things moving. And was actually brilliantly out to leather a clearance away when a back pass down our left was under hit and their striker closed in.

Can I be really annoying and disagree with both of you here? I don't think it was an error to come out, and I actually think he did the very best thing he could do in that situation.

The ball has been played through, and I don't think Big Dom is gonna catch Maupay there. He's been set up for a 1-on-1 at a good angle. Don't get me wrong, a "world class" GK has the legs to run through there and get to the ball before Maupay, but there's no way Cammy can do that, and I think he realises so fairly early on after choosing to sprint out of his box. But, what he does do is commit enough to force Maupay to touch it wider, giving Dom the extra second he needs to get back goalside, without overcommiting himself to "I either smash the ball or I smash the attacker" (unlike some goalkeeping we've seen this season). It's a heart in mouth moment, but if Cammy stays in his box I don't think Iorfa will be in a position to do anything other than let Maupay have the shot on a 1 v 1 or foul Maupay and receive a red. 

Cammy's execution of coming out was obviously not fantastic, but I honestly think in that moment he did everything right to, within his ability, stop a clear goalscoring opportunity. Very easy to see it as Iorfa saved Dawson's blushes... but I actually think they both saved each other's blushes. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Can I be really annoying and disagree with both of you here? I don't think it was an error to come out, and I actually think he did the very best thing he could do in that situation.

The ball has been played through, and I don't think Big Dom is gonna catch Maupay there. He's been set up for a 1-on-1 at a good angle. Don't get me wrong, a "world class" GK has the legs to run through there and get to the ball before Maupay, but there's no way Cammy can do that, and I think he realises so fairly early on after choosing to sprint out of his box. But, what he does do is commit enough to force Maupay to touch it wider, giving Dom the extra second he needs to get back goalside, without overcommiting himself to "I either smash the ball or I smash the attacker" (unlike some goalkeeping we've seen this season). It's a heart in mouth moment, but if Cammy stays in his box I don't think Iorfa will be in a position to do anything other than let Maupay have the shot on a 1 v 1 or foul Maupay and receive a red. 

Cammy's execution of coming out was obviously not fantastic, but I honestly think in that moment he did everything right to, within his ability, stop a clear goalscoring opportunity. Very easy to see it as Iorfa saved Dawson's blushes... but I actually think they both saved each other's blushes. 

An error that played to our advantage!

51 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Imo the ball wasn’t coming to Dawson at a pace where coming out of goal could be justified, so I disagree with that. He should have held his position. Maupay had caught up with and touched the ball way outside the box following the pass

Be hard pressed to credit Dawson's mad dash out of goal because he missed the ball.

Still, it did slow Maupay by providing another obstacle to get past and in the meantime bought time for Iorfa to get the right side of the ball again and another defender to cover the line.

It worked out fortuitously, but it goes without saying that had Dawson made any contact with Maupay and he went down, we might well have found ourselves down to 10 men.

1 hour ago, FinnishOwl said:

I have been thinking the same lately. Are the others afraid that the little mardy Scotsman will bite their ankles if every play doesn't involve him? We have been very one-dimensional so the opposition team doesn't need to be a group of rocket scientists to figure it out. Yesterday, we were very different and I really liked it. And I think that shirts are earned so these lads should be given the next match as well. Theirs to lose and so on.

I've been thinking the same as well, we looked much more like a conventional midfield yesterday without Bannan.  With him playing everything has to go through him, and as a result he doesn't play in a traditional central midfield position and we get out of shape.  Whereas yesterday everyone got more involved.

Not saying he shouldn't play as clearly he is our most technical player.  But I can see him getting left out when we play against the better teams and used more where his creativity is needed to break down teams that put everyone behind the ball.

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Hmm... not sure about that.

Iorfa was making good ground on Maupay, and he'd beat him in every foot race before and after that incident. 

Personally, felt Dawson coming out presented Maupay with a potentially far easier chance, than it would've been had he stayed at home. But, there was no damage done.

I just think, a goalkeeper cannot come nearly 25 yards off his line, and yet find himself the wrong side of the ball. 

However, I totally forgot about the crucial save he made from Maupay in the 1st half, when Iorfa misjudged letting the ball go out of touch. 

Edited by frastheowl

18 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Dawson - 6 

nothing to do

Urhoghide - 8 

A very composed debut, comfortable on the ball, good awareness. How old is he? 

Iorfa - 9 MOM

What to say just class, nearly let maupay in when he should have shepherd the ball out, but his overall performance was top notch. If I was Brighton I’d want him after that 

Borner - 8 

Solid and was everywhere. Great at playing out and pinged a few beauties

Fox - 7 

Routine performance, did the simple stuff well. Not much to deal with on their right 

Murphy - 6 

Delivery was poor on a number of occasions, as he kept going for the low option and couldn’t get it right. His running and energy was positive throughout but again final ball wasn’t there 

Luongo - 8 

Love him. A real battler. He’s like a more robust version of Kieran Lee, neat deft touches to get out of tight areas. He’ll be a key player for us 

Lee - 7 

More like the old Lee. Zipping about everywhere, seemed to tire fairly early which is understandable due to lack of game time 

Reach - 7 

thought he was poor first half but seemed to take it on the chin and step it up 2nd so credit to him. Hogged the touchline and good running with the ball 

Fletcher - 6 

super effort which they’re keeper amazingly kept out. Praying it’s nothing serious 

Very encouraging performance and gives Monk more food for thought. I think we know Iorfa and Borner is the perm back 2, though I’m worried if we lose fletcher where on earth the goals will come from, and I find it hard to believe we will get anyone of similar standard on the market. We will need to play tactically more like today as the long ball up to Dave/Winnall/Rhodes can’t continue 

We did well with 10 players then. 

3 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

I agree re Dawson coming out... He looked very clumsy however he put their forward off and allowed Iorfa to eih ball back! If he'd not come all the way it would have been a one on o e in the penalty box and probably a goal. 

19 hours ago, Sykes said:

Not just saying this, but I genuinely didn't see Pelupessy once all game. 

The role he plays isn't to stand out! If he stands out he's either pulled off a worldy or dropped a clanger! 

His role is to cover lots of ground, be annoying to the opposition, win the ball and a simple lay off. He actually does this very well! No silly lunges or fouls in dangerous places. With another two ball players in front of him he can make a good player! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Hmm... not sure about that.

Iorfa was making good ground on Maupay, and he'd beat him in every foot race before and after that incident. 

Personally, felt Dawson coming out presented Maupay with a potentially far easier chance, than it would've been had he stayed at home. But, there was no damage done.

I just think, a goalkeeper cannot come nearly 25 yards off his line, and yet find himself the wrong side of the ball. 

However, I totally forgot about the crucial save he made from Maupay in the 1st half, when Iorfa misjudged letting the ball go out of touch. 

Agree with this. If you came this far you have to win the ball. If he stays on this line there’s still a lot Maupay needs to do before he scores.

Anything else is a massive error of judgement.

We only escaped due to Iorfa’s pace and Maupay’s lack of confidence on his left foot (and judging from BHAFC fans, his all round lack of confidence at the moment)

Goalkeeper error, but no harm done in the end