• Lees
    • Fletcher
    • Luongo
    • Reach
    • Winnall
    • Harris
    • Lee

46 minutes ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

Dom and Pelupessy for me. Best game Pelupessy has ever had for us. Better than Hutch in that role today. 

Not just saying this, but I genuinely didn't see Pelupessy once all game. 

• Haha 1

I'd like to see this at some point! 

Dawson

Lees       Iorfa.       Borner    

Pelupessy 

Harris  Luongo   Bannan    Reach 

Lee

Fletcher 

Dawson - 7 - Did he have a save to make the whole game? Can't remember one. Made a hash of things, when he came rushing out in the 1st half, but otherwise looked very comfortable. 

Urhoghide - 7 - Really steady debut for the lad. Played like a centre half at full back (and I mean no disrespect by that). Didn't offer much going forward, but defended brilliantly throughout. Looked like he was a regular. 

Iorfa - 8 - Man of the Match - In the 1st half, he was Rolls Royce. Absolutely immense. Matched Maupay for pace, and out-thought him as well. He's top, top quality.

Borner - 7 - He was the support act alongside Iorfa today, but he won't mind that. Headed everything that came his way, and defended positively throughout.

Fox - 7 - Like Urhoghide, defended resolutely. Gave nothing away.

Pelupessy - 8 - Performed the holding midfield role, exactly as it should in the 4-3-3. Sat, anticipated, intercepted, passed it on. He might have forced himself into Monk's thoughts. 

Lee - 8 - Showed why he should've featured over Christmas. Broke forward, kept the ball well, provided the much needed legs along with Luongo in midfield. 

Luongo - 8 - He had a fine game, and got stronger as the game went on. I liked the look of Lee and Luongo in midfield, and they provided the exact strengths I thought they would. In a 4-3-3, at least one, if not both of them, simply HAVE to play.

Reach - 8 - He had a steady first half, and did well to set Murphy up early on. Felt he became a bit wasteful at times, but in the 2nd half, really grew into the game and his confidence did as well. Got his goal, and hopefully it can kickstart something for him.

Murphy - 7 - I think he's starting to show exactly what he can bring to us of late. Maybe things aren't quite coming off, but looked a threat throughout. A bit of composure in those dangerous positions, and he could become a really important player. He's another one who excels in a 4-3-3 rather than 4-4-2.

Fletcher - 7 - Worked hard, toiled way and almost made a goal for himself on the brink of HT. Fingers crossed the injury isn't as serious as it looked at the time. But I fear the worst with how he went down. 

Winnall - 6 - Did well when he came on, and replaced Fletcher. 

Harris - 6 - Provided a good counter option late on when others were tiring. 

Lees - N/A

Overall...

That was a really fine, and comfortable display. From 1-11, every single one of them stuck to, and did their jobs diligently. Monk had a game plan, and the players executed it. We looked at our best, when we can control the game out of possession, and look to break. Both Reach and Murphy provided good, forward facing options, and with Luongo and Lee providing support alongside `Fletcher, it never felt that we were ever under any prolonged period of pressure. 

It's frustrating in a way, because, that blueprint, should be how we play when we're defending leads late on. Yet, we seem totally unable remain composed like we did throughout, today. 

Some big decisions for Monk now, with Leeds coming up. That shape and performance goes hand-in-hand with a trip to Elland Road. Sit, block the avenues, intercept and break. Of course, he'll be tempted to bring Bannan and Hutchinson back in, but it'll be tough on any of the midfield trio, if they are dropped. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Certainly not. Huge fan of him and delighted he got his opportunity today and showed us all what we've been missing. 

Quick sharp, reads danger and keeps things ticking over. 

Knows what speed to move the ball.

Sadly the auto fill stuck an S on the end of his name in the poll!

But it was too late to edit!

Had lots of problems wth the accursed autopilots myself. See what I mean. Worst thing ever invented.

If anyone thinks I did that deliberately try typing autofil 

• Like 1

Dawson -7 -  One errant moment when he came racing out, but other than that an assured display. Held things. Tried to get things moving. And was actually brilliantly out to leather a clearance away when a back pass down our left was under hit and their striker closed in.

Urhoghide - 7.5- What a day for the lad. I admit to knowing nothing about him other than the fact he was a centre half in the kids. Came in at right back and didn't look out of place against decent opposition.  Pleased that Monk gave him the opportunity in the right sort of fixture.  Didn't look fazed at all and it was great to see how the other boys were encouraging him. Great to see him leading the away fans at the end.

Fox - 7.5- Another solid display. Made one superb block at the beginning of the second half. Which he seems to do a lot over the course of the season. Not afraid to get in there where it hurts. Also a great spot and pass first half for Fletcher but their man just got his toe end to it. 

Pelupessy -8- I thought he was super today. I really did. "Wey, he dint do owt!" will be the cry. Nothing seen. The unseen work. Getting good angles and taking out Brighton passing options so the man in possesion has to do that daft drag back that footballers love so much and look for another option. I thought he performed the role of anchorman today brilliantly. Didn't go haring about and charging into tackles. Kept our shape and gave the platform for Luongo and Lees to go and hunt the man in possession. It'll not be a popular opinion I'm sure as he wasn't pinging the ball about left right and centre but for me he was one of the main reasons we've had this performance today. The unseen bolt. 

Iorfa -8.5 Superb. . He dealt with the petulant Maupay brilliantly. His recovery pace at the back is something we haven't had since Desmond. And yes, I know that you only need recovery pace if something has gone wrong. But we're a  Championship squad, things will go wrong. nature of the beast. But to have someone back there with the weapon in his armoury to get us out of jail at times is a brilliant one to have.  

Borner -7.5- I love the way he strides forward with the ball with that calm assurance. It gets us up the pitch and most of all it makes the opposition think. Does one of them breaks ranks and go and close him or do they stay put and let him advance. He's really good at this. His passing from the back is probably the best of our centre halves for some years too.  Together with Iorfa there's a partnership that really has potential to carry on where they left off and develop into something really positive.

Murphy - 7- Was he brilliant? No. But he saw a lot of the ball. He was available and when he had it he wasn't afraid to try things. Like the jinky run between Bongo or whatever he's called and their centre half. It's these sorts of things that take pressure off you as the away side. He wasn't sparkling but still, despite lack of final product in many ways effective in the result.

Lee - 8-  Absolutely delighted to see this lad back in the team, in the right set up and in the right position. He moves the ball quickly, he's got an eye for danger and gets so many vital nicks and foots when breaking it up. He's always aware where his team mates are around him too and is the rare breed of footballer that understands the peaks and troughs. Understands the rhythm of a game. When to go quick with the pass and when to slow it. With Pelupessy and Luongo I thought he was superb.

Fletcher - 7- Hard job leading the line. Could actually really see him organising from the front too. You get to my age and you think the arm band doesn't mean that much, but I actually think it brought out another side to the Fletcher character and I liked it. Shame about the knee. But I won't hold Monk out for that. It was a jarr, it could have happened at any time in any game. He's had it E-rayed and it looks like his just over extended it so hopefully nothing too serious.

Luongo - 8- I like this lad. And I liked him more with Pelupessy and Lee. They almost gave us a zig-zag shape in midfield at times. We really cut out so many passing options for the opposition. I also love his bravery. For a so called attacking midfield player he's no qualms about getting himself thrown into a 50/50 and also isn't afraid to invite a painful foul to get us a dead ball. 

Reach -7- Like Murphy, you can argue -goal aside- that he didn't have the end product today. But again, always available. Always an out ball. Touch evaded him at times but his stamina and willingness to run were there to see, and again, same as Murphy gave us the opportunity to get out and get out quickly.

Winnall - 7- In a game like this away from home it's always going to be tough for the forwards. It was tough for Fletch and it was tough for Winnall. What I will say is that this lad does have a drive to get himself in the box. He's desperate to score goals. The ball didn't always come but he kept making those runs and that is half the job. Making those runs even when you think the ball might not come. 

Harris - 7.-  Glad he was rested. Not because I don't like him but because I thought he was looking a bit frazzled in the league. Came on and like Reach and Murphy gave Wednesday and out. Helped stretch the pitch. Sometimes wish he'd taken the Fox option who was giving him support on the overlap. But did the job he was clearly sent on to do and drove Brighton back as they desperately tried to claw back. 

=============

Monk - Got his Cup tactics spot on. Much like Carlos did in year one. Will he revert to the other formation in the league and back at Hillsborough. Sometimes you can't appease the masses. When something works it works and is worth trying again.

I hope this game becomes a platform and doesn't become Monks 'Arsenal' 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

38 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Certainly not. Huge fan of him and delighted he got his opportunity today and showed us all what we've been missing. 

Quick sharp, reads danger and keeps things ticking over. 

Knows what speed to move the ball.

Sadly the auto fill stuck an S on the end of his name in the poll!

But it was too late to edit!

Edited it for you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Laid very low with the seasonal lurgi today and had to resort to the Ifollow commentary. Surprisingly considering the Snootyscores above, Lee and Pelupessy hardly got a mention .

The unseen work Blatters. They were super at it today. 

People blocking out opposition passing angles off the ball would probably make for boring commentary to be fair!

57 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I went for Iorfa again

But Reach, Luongo and Murphy had good games

Big shout out to the youngster too, he had a debut to be proud of.

Thought Murphy was wasteful. Despite being heavily involved he didn't give us any real edge in the final third.

His deadballs were mostly poor

Good solid team performance so mostly 7's 

Reach 7.5, alot more natural on left so didnt see why harris should go on left when murphy came off, leave reach on left imo

Luongo 7.5, everywhere

Big dom back to 8's (next to borner, no coincidence) and yet again mom, bailed borner out snuffing out connolly and schooled maupay too, 2 very quick prem strikers, that should shut the iorfa to rb merchants up for a while!

Only way lees plays for me is in a back 3, bit even then hutch would be the central one (never play him cm tho) due to lees' poor distribution, but lees is likely a favourite so expect borner to be dropped again!

Dawson - 6 

nothing to do

Urhoghide - 8 

A very composed debut, comfortable on the ball, good awareness. How old is he? 

Iorfa - 9 MOM

What to say just class, nearly let maupay in when he should have shepherd the ball out, but his overall performance was top notch. If I was Brighton I’d want him after that 

Borner - 8 

Solid and was everywhere. Great at playing out and pinged a few beauties

Fox - 7 

Routine performance, did the simple stuff well. Not much to deal with on their right 

Murphy - 6 

Delivery was poor on a number of occasions, as he kept going for the low option and couldn’t get it right. His running and energy was positive throughout but again final ball wasn’t there 

Luongo - 8 

Love him. A real battler. He’s like a more robust version of Kieran Lee, neat deft touches to get out of tight areas. He’ll be a key player for us 

Lee - 7 

More like the old Lee. Zipping about everywhere, seemed to tire fairly early which is understandable due to lack of game time 

Reach - 7 

thought he was poor first half but seemed to take it on the chin and step it up 2nd so credit to him. Hogged the touchline and good running with the ball 

Fletcher - 6 

super effort which they’re keeper amazingly kept out. Praying it’s nothing serious 

Very encouraging performance and gives Monk more food for thought. I think we know Iorfa and Borner is the perm back 2, though I’m worried if we lose fletcher where on earth the goals will come from, and I find it hard to believe we will get anyone of similar standard on the market. We will need to play tactically more like today as the long ball up to Dave/Winnall/Rhodes can’t continue 

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

We looked at our best, when we can control the game out of possession, and look to break. Both Reach and Murphy provided good, forward facing options, and with Luongo and Lee providing support alongside `Fletcher, it never felt that we were ever under any prolonged period of pressure. 

It's frustrating in a way, because, that blueprint, should be how we play when we're defending leads late on. Yet, we seem totally unable remain composed like we did throughout, today. 

Some big decisions for Monk now, with Leeds coming up. That shape and performance goes hand-in-hand with a trip to Elland Road. Sit, block the avenues, intercept and break. Of course, he'll be tempted to bring Bannan and Hutchinson back in, but it'll be tough on any of the midfield trio, if they are dropped. 

Spot on.