Fletcher and Nuhiu Partnership

3 hours ago, trumbullowl said:

We've started 4-4-2 with Nuhiu and Fletcher as the two on four occasions:

'Boro and Charlton away, Leeds and Swansea at home. 

Two wins and two draws. Seems worth trying it more!

And we average 2+ goals per game with them playing up front. 

442 isn't it?

Jumpersforgoalposts_ron.jpg.14b4984326da831d24f5d45790121d7b.jpg

3 hours ago, trumbullowl said:

We've started 4-4-2 with Nuhiu and Fletcher as the two on four occasions:

'Boro and Charlton away, Leeds and Swansea at home. 

Two wins and two draws. Seems worth trying it more!

Great point.

The other two times we did it...

Hull - Nuhiu and Winnall - Lost 1-0

QPR - Fletcher and Forestieri - Lost 2-1 

Fletcher and Nuhiu clearly looks the way to go. We score and we gather points.

Played together they are affective during certain matches but over the long term I just don’t think this partnership has enough goals in it if we are serious about challenging for a top 6 place.

A quick check of their stats shows Nuhiu’s most prolific league campaign at this level ended with about a dozen goals, the same with Fletcher.

That’s ok if you don’t concede many or if your midfielders are regularly chipping in with goals, I’m not sure if either can be said about us.

If we are still in the mix for a top 6 place come January I’d still like us to bring in a striker on loan to help us take some of these chances we keep on missing on a weekly basis, perhaps Che Adams or Matej Vydra.

Edited by TrickyTrev

33 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Played together they are affective during certain matches but over the long term I just don’t think this partnership has enough goals in it if we are serious about challenging for a top 6 place.

A quick check of their stats shows Nuhiu’s most prolific league campaign at this level ended with about a dozen goals, the same with Fletcher.

That’s ok if you don’t concede many or if your midfielders are regularly chipping in with goals, I’m not sure if either can be said about us.

If we are still in the mix for a top 6 place come January I’d still like us to bring in a striker on loan to help us take some of these chances we keep on missing on a weekly basis, perhaps Che Adams or Matej Vydra.

It’s all about the team, not individuals.

Compare two pairings.

Hooper - great scorer. Forestieri - good scorer. Pair them up and they became as dry as the Sahara. Team stopped scoring.

Nuhiu - not a great scorer. Fletcher - decent scorer. Pair them up and the team score freely. 

It works. Why overthink it?

• Like 1

Some fans demand goals from their forwards others don't care where the goals come from as long as the team are scoring and winning.

My United supporting mates are split down the middle over MCgoldrick who plays a similar role to Nuhiu dropping deap and looks at.laying th ball off, but scores few goals. Where they are better than us is the goals are spread across the team more, this is something we need to look at.

Edited by A E Neuman NYowl
Sp

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

It’s all about the team, not individuals.

Compare two pairings.

Hooper - great scorer. Forestieri - good scorer. Pair them up and they became as dry as the Sahara. Team stopped scoring.

Nuhiu - not a great scorer. Fletcher - decent scorer. Pair them up and the team score freely. 

It works. Why overthink it?

It is about the team.

I’m just saying that going with this partnership over the course of a season you’re probably looking at about 20 goals between them which is fine if you are keeping clean sheets or your midfielders are chipping in with goals on a regular basis.

At present neither can be said about us.

18 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Fletch lone striker - 804 minutes - 11 team goals - goal every 73 mins

Fletch + Nuhiu - 295 minutes - 7 team goals- goal every 42 mins

Fletch + FF - 149 minutes - 2 team goals - goal every 74 mins

Fletch + Nuhiu + FF - 113 minutes 4 team goals - goal every 28 mins

Overall - Fletch and Nuhiu on the pitch - 408 mins - 11 goals - goal every 37 mins

Very selective stats!

4 goals vs boro, 3 vs injury ravaged charlton, 2 very poor sides.

0 goals vs leeds at home, stats dont always give the whole picture.

We've only won vs bottom 8 sides, maybe more pace and movement next to a big man would help address that.

2 slow strikers wouldn't get anyone promoted so still need a pacy 20 goal striker at some point imo

Some fans don't like the pairing as they say Fletcher and Nuhiu are too similar. 

Other than both being over 6ft I don't think they are, they have very different skillsets and it's very rare you see them going for the same ball or getting in each other's way. I am not saying they are an ideal pairing as I prefer more pace but they look like the best out of our current crop of forwards.

I go way back to when we had Hirst and Atkinson, who individually had everything that you want in a forward. But as a pairing you didn't see the best of either of them as they were too similar.

It was only when we signed Paul Williams who created the space for Hirst to exploit that we started to get the best out of Hirst.

It all depends on the tactics. If you play them two up front you can't play nando on the wing. You need two out and out wingers, either Harris or reach on the left and Murphy on the right. Then just make it simple get the ball out wide and cross it, result goals

this fall's apart when we have nando and reach on the wings as they don't play as wingers, they drift inside all the time.

For now I'd stick with Murphy and Harris/reach with Fletcher and Dave up front and stop trying to be clever by changing it up to one up and three in the middle. Also drop hutch and stick with lonugo he's a good combo of fight, movement and skill.

17 hours ago, gizowl said:

Some cloth head  on another thread says Nuhui's goal masked a poor performance, really don't know what some are watching. On a serious note the quality and consistency of crosses needs to be better. The Nuhui disallowed goal, and the goals scored by him and Fletch were all from quality deliveries, for the rest of our attacking dominance the final ball or delivery was poor. But well done today, got what we deserved. UTO

We do have players that can put in quality crosses. Yesterday, decent attempts on goal resulted from crosses by FF, Bannan, Harris, Reach. Only one wasn't from open play. In previous games, Fox has put over some quality crosses.

The difference between yesterday and previous games that made yesterday's crossing better is that we had two big men in the middle. The "crossing" was no better than previously, but with two men up top finding space, getting ahead of the defender, it's easier for the attackers to get to the cross. Even a random cross, made without looking at the forwards' positioning, is twice as likely to find a target with two men waiting for it.

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

Our squad isnt good enough for top 6 thats why.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Ash77 said:

Very selective stats!

4 goals vs boro, 3 vs injury ravaged charlton, 2 very poor sides.

0 goals vs leeds at home, stats dont always give the whole picture.

We've only won vs bottom 8 sides, maybe more pace and movement next to a big man would help address that.

2 slow strikers wouldn't get anyone promoted so still need a pacy 20 goal striker at some point imo

Its not selective. It’s 100% of the season. 

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Its not selective. It’s 100% of the 

Potentially misleading then imo, stats like these often come out after we beat a bottom 8 side but theres often alot more reasoning behind these sorts of figures that get banded about by people.

At 5 a side several of us probably scored more goals per minute than any striker in europe, we must have been worth £100m then ey!

20 hours ago, Royal_D said:

People can slate Nuhiu all they want , I don’t listen anymore 

All I take notice of is what Atdhe does on the pitch,  he’s limited , always has been but anybody who can say he has nothing to contribute to our side is a joker ! He’s a huge part to play in this squad and will nick a few important goals I’ve no doubt whatsoever in the man 

I agree with this entirely and have felt this way for a few seasons. It's great to hear that there are a few Owls who appreciate the lad.  When you also consider the calibre of player who have stolen a living at S6 down the years - Jeffers,  De Bilde, Rhodes for instance  - Atdhe should be celebrated and valued by more supporters. And I feel his partnership with Fletcher could get us into the play offs.  

10 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Age is catching up with him,he no longer has that blistering pace that made him a threat out wide,centre is his best position,as he can still motor over a shorter distance

1. He's 29... now I've been as critical of our "older" players (and how much of the squad they make up) as much as the next, but he's probably got another year or two before age is a valid worry.

2. He's never had "blistering pace". He's agile and not slow, but "blistering pace" makes him sound like some sort of sprint machine.

3. Centre is still not his best position. The inside left position is, as it has always been. 

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

I think you’re probably right but I do think we need to be looking at our main 2 strikers to be getting as near to 30 goals between them as we can.

Be nice. But they arent that kind of striker. One of those gets injured and we are royally screwed. Crying out for 2 decent loans and to gey rid of winnall and rhodes. Cant see either happening thougj.