U23 First team action minutes

I saw this report on Twitter so not sure how accurate it really is (although it did have a blue tick).

And its the number of minutes players 23 and under have played this season in the league.

Doesnt make good reading if you are into this type of stat.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, GibKev said:

I'm fine with this tbh - it just shows we have a strong and experienced squad

Might also point out that we've fielded no over-age players in our U23 games (so far) - and I'm fine with that too

Let the coaches pick the teams and players earn their places on merit  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

A little misleading.

Dawson for example is homegrown but has just turned 24 (which surprised me).

Penney is playing regularly in a very competative German 2nd tier.

Several other players in League 1, 2 and Scottish Prem.

The stat may not be inaccurate but there are several home grown players getting game time.

It’s not misleading in the slightest. We have nobody under the age of 23 playing in our first team and we’re the only club in country where that’s the case. I don’t think it’s the end of the world, but it does highlight the main problem of the Chansiri era; we’ve bought a lot of older players, on big wages with no re-sale value.

• Thanks 1

Interesting stat. our youth development does need to improve. But with our current squad not a major issue, one to be sorted over time, play youngsters when opportunities arise etc. When Westwood, Lees, Bannan, Fletch get too old then we might need a new younger spine, but right now we are ok.

3 hours ago, GibKev said:

I saw this report on Twitter so not sure how accurate it really is (although it did have a blue tick).

And its the number of minutes players 23 and under have played this season in the league.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Thornley??? 

How many of the squads listed there (outside of the PL) have the depth of experience now available to Garry Monk?

Filling your side with youth isn't necessarily a sign of strength, some of those teams may have no other option

Besides, we're hardly Dad's Army

Of the 22 players selected so far, nine are 26 or under and only five are over 30 (Hutch & Atdhe just weeks ago)

And I wouldn't call the other three (Fletch, Westy & Kieran Lee) our weakest links either

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Promotion to the PL should be top priority, but it is a travesty how much we are neglecting production and development of young players within the club. 

Especially now with FFP in place it was never more important to produce players and create value.

7 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Barnsley 6931......in the relegation places  

Sheff wed 0....win there next game and top of the table 

I find that very good reading 

If Barnsley weren't producing their own players or creating value by buying cheap and developing they would have been League Two club by now.

Not their fault that they can't afford value they produce at their club longer, and that they can't afford to add quality experienced players to help their curent bunch this season.

49 minutes ago, Slogboy said:

That's the problem. Chansiris needs to be receptive to loaning the players out  . Borokov and hunt need to be playing mens football. 

Look at Thorniley and baker - not even featuring!

SWFC need to look after their youngsters before they're poached elsewhere!

Other clubs simply might not be interested 

2 hours ago, Slogboy said:

That's the problem. Chansiris needs to be receptive to loaning the players out  . Borokov and hunt need to be playing mens football. 

Look at Thorniley and baker - not even featuring!

SWFC need to look after their youngsters before they're poached elsewhere!

Baker would struggle for a weekly start in League Two, it's a shame for Thorniley as he's clearly very talented and will have a good career, but at the minute he's not going to get a look in, but he's too important to be loaned out in case of an injury crisis.

What a difference a year makes. This time last year we had 4 u23s in the first team - Baker, Thorniley, Penny and Dawson.

All ended up struggling somewhat, and potentially setting them back on their development, although you could say it made men of the boys - who knows.

1 hour ago, Animis said:

What a difference a year makes. This time last year we had 4 u23s in the first team - Baker, Thorniley, Penny and Dawson.

All ended up struggling somewhat, and potentially setting them back on their development, although you could say it made men of the boys - who knows.

Think it did Dawson and Thorniley good, both are good enough at this level. Penney seems to be doing the business in Germany now as well so hopefully we can sort him a contract out. Kirby performing well at Macclesfield too, but think League One would be his next logical step up.