Shots taken v Shots conceded

I love proper stats, ie results, points and goals, but I think most other stats are unimportant and unhelpful.

However, for once from me, something does stand out from Monk’s short reign, which suggests that we are a much tighter and better organised team under Monk.

Look at the number of shots our opponents have had.

Wigan 5 (we had 8)

Hull 8 (v 12)

Boro 9 (v 12)

Fulham 9 (v 12)

Hudders 9 (v 13)

Compare that to the average shots by Championship sides this weekend - 13

So our average shots conceded has been 8.

Our average shots taken has been 12.

And this is all the more impressive given that we have had 3 aways and 2 homes.

We have been no better than average in an attacking creative sense, and tight as a camel’s bum defensively, and I’m referring to all ten outfield players, rather than simply the back 4.

Most good managers focus on tightening up a side defensively before moving onto attacking prowess. This certainly does seem to be the case so far with our new manager.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Its better to be more direct and more positive than fanny around the back with it for ages then do nothing. 

A lot of the past few years has been dire in terms of attacking. We've been slow, ponderous,negative and basically were drilled to let the opposition dictate tempo whilst we sat back (Carlos era tactics). Unfortunately if we did win the ball back we didn't have the pace to counter anyome hence why we only scored 1 counter attack goal last season, the least in the league. 

This season we are playing more directly. Midfielders aim to get it forward quicker and have much better full back and wing options. I've personally been crying out for this since the Play off final defeat. About bloody time basically. 

Guest LittleG

Good stats this time. Defensively we are doing well but like you say we need to improve our creative play and to cash in on the chances made. Unless FF comes back firing we definitely  need to look at signing another striker come January.

Most pleasing aspect is the chance creation element, weve not been particularly fluent in this regard in recent seasons. 

Tightening up at the back perhaps owes a lot to the team shape monk has embedded. Still work in progress  but we look much tighter knit as a unit and players know who should be where. Still work to do on what to do with the ball when we have it and how to take a throw in, but all in good time. 

The international break has come at a good time to refresh players and work on the training ground. 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

I love proper stats, ie results, points and goals, but I think most other stats are unimportant and unhelpful.

However, for once from me, something does stand out from Monk’s short reign, which suggests that we are a much tighter and better organised team under Monk.

Look at the number of shots our opponents have had.

Wigan 5 (we had 8)

Hull 8 (v 12)

Boro 9 (v 12)

Fulham 9 (v 12)

Hudders 9 (v 13)

Compare that to the average shots by Championship sides this weekend - 13

So our average shots conceded has been 8.

Our average shots taken has been 12.

And this is all the more impressive given that we have had 3 aways and 2 homes.

We have been no better than average in an attacking creative sense, and tight as a camel’s bum defensively, and I’m referring to all ten outfield players, rather than simply the back 4.

Most good managers focus on tightening up a side defensively before moving onto attacking prowess. This certainly does seem to be the case so far with our new manager.

I watched several of our extended highlights today back to back and what is noticable is that we look like the best side in all of them.

Watching the whole game it seems different, like we are 2nd best as we are not dominating but clearly we are valuing being organised over possession. 

It's ok while we are doing well ......

9 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

I watched several of our extended highlights today back to back and what is noticable is that we look like the best side in all of them.

Watching the whole game it seems different, like we are 2nd best as we are not dominating but clearly we are valuing being organised over possession. 

I love the idea of binge-watching our season so far.

Try The Sopranos or Blackadder. 

Yes when you watch our highlights we do seem to dominate the key areas. 

41 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Looking at all these stats and with what you say above this is a reason why we have good reason to believe we can be challenging for the playoffs this season. 

We seem to have the right blend at the moment.

2 hours ago, CF_Owl said:

If your'e interested in those stats you should check out Experimental361 (https://experimental361.com/). Ben Mayhew does some amazing stuff on there and gives a great insight in to how we're playing. This chart shows we are very close to becoming a good all round team, just need to get the attack firing a little more.

image.png.8c2ed8414a024bf982d989d04e0f099a.png

I agree Ben Mayhew does some good stuff, if you look at our stats he did under Jos we didn't create many chances which meant we were more reliant on the defence or Reach worldies.

6 hours ago, LittleG said:

Good stats this time. Defensively we are doing well but like you say we need to improve our creative play and to cash in on the chances made. Unless FF comes back firing we definitely  need to look at signing another striker come January.

I don’t understand this creativity comment that people keep saying...if I’m right we’ve only scored 4/5 less than the highest scoring team in the league (I could be wrong?) and to be honest winnall and fletcher alone could have closed that gap had they taken chances. 

7 hours ago, CF_Owl said:

If your'e interested in those stats you should check out Experimental361 (https://experimental361.com/). Ben Mayhew does some amazing stuff on there and gives a great insight in to how we're playing. This chart shows we are very close to becoming a good all round team, just need to get the attack firing a little more.

image.png.8c2ed8414a024bf982d989d04e0f099a.png

Wow, look at Leeds, Champions of Europe

Gary will not rest until we've dismantled them, like we did Boro

garymegson

6 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

That's why I like iFollow and the full match replay available 24 hours after the game for free as part of the annual audio subscription. 

Even the extended highlights are just that, edited highlights which are not impartial. The club will want to show our efforts in a positive light. Even Jos had highlights during a game.

What I liked about the Wigan game the most was the workrate throughout the game. Wigan didn't roll over and we didn't have it all our own way, but generally we had them contained and we still looked a threat going forward. 

18 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Weirdly I was on a treadmill in Japan which had You Tube....

• Haha 2