Things tonight showed

2 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Winnall's fluffing a lot of chances. Ok, he hasn't really had that much time on the pitch this season; 7 appearances, but only 2 have been for more than a half, and none were 90 minutes. Had really hoped he'd kick on after his goal, but it doesn't seem to be happening. With Adthe seemingly only effective in the super-sub role, and with Rhodes seemingly a peripheral figure in Monk's eyes.. we are kinda screwed if Fletch gets injured. Unfortunately we don't look able to do much about this. We can't move Winnall or Rhodes on, so to me the only sensible thing to do is play Rhodes in Fletch's absence, but with 30% of the ball, we're not exactly going to be giving Rhodes the supply he needs, he's not the kind of striker to bully defenders like Fletch does.. none of our other options are.

So yeah.. central midfield and up front are slightly worries, as is our ability to impose yourselves on a game.

Fingers crossed Monk can improve these situations.

Good analysis this bit ...

I think that your observation that we are a mid table side is pretty close to the mark.

I think that we made Hull look quite good !

Their ball retention was far superior to ours and they pinged it around with pace and accuracy, playing their way out of tight corners with relative ease.

What concerns me is our percentage of possession. Even in the games we have won we seem to surrender possession and territory at will.

We are a mid table team - its fine.  As I have said before, there is a Zen like state you can achieve when supporting a mid table team.  The destination is not important (there is, in reality, no difference in the impact of finishing between 7th and 21st), only the journey is.   We haven't been promoted to the top flight for 28 years.  We won't this year either.  You can't sweat this stuff.  We will win some games and it will be lovely.  We'll lose some games, lots in fact, because we are a mid table team.  No need to dwell on them.

11 hours ago, Nando45 said:

We aren’t a top 2 team. 

Just need to stay in and around the mix for play offs, I think we could end up anywhere between 6th-10th this season 

im not sure where we will end up , at times this season we have looked a bottom 6 team ie last night ,qpr . to be top 6 we have to be a lot more consistent and having a striker who finishes even if your team aint played well ,hooper in his prime would have done that ,nuhiu,winnall,rhodes clearly cant.

5 hours ago, mcmigo said:

We are a mid table team - its fine.  As I have said before, there is a Zen like state you can achieve when supporting a mid table team.  The destination is not important (there is, in reality, no difference in the impact of finishing between 7th and 21st), only the journey is.   We haven't been promoted to the top flight for 28 years.  We won't this year either.  You can't sweat this stuff.  We will win some games and it will be lovely.  We'll lose some games, lots in fact, because we are a mid table team.  No need to dwell on them.

Its not a zen like state though when you charge the prices we do and our chairman says we are aiming for top two.

There will always be frustration when this is the case. 

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Its not a zen like state though when you charge the prices we do and our chairman says we are aiming for top two.

To be honest I don't think anyone takes the Chairman's top two claims seriously.  

Though it was worth it to see Monks face when he said it.

5 hours ago, mcmigo said:

This should be pinned at the top of the match day page 

Edited by FreshOwl

Understandably, Sam Winnall hasn't been the same player since he suffered that nasty injury whilst on loan at Derby. The Sam Winnall before that injury would have buried those chances 

Whilst he doesn't offer a lot of pace, he's the perfect partner for Fletcher in a 4-4-2. He's not your target man to hold up the ball, he's the sort of player that would be looking for the knock downs etc. He just needs time to get back to where he was, which may or may not happen given a serious injury can completely change a player.

I would have said Fletcher would be good for Rhodes given most of Rhodes' goals was when partnering the likes of Gestede and Novak who did the work Fletcher does. However, Rhodes has lost all confidence in his game ever since his move to Middlesbrough

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not been promoted to top flight for 28 years. I wouldn’t get too wound up about it if 28 becomes 29. 

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Not been promoted to top flight for 28 years. I wouldn’t get too wound up about it if 28 becomes 29. 

We were hardly going to get promoted to the top flight when we were already there. That’s a weird way to exaggerate the number of years (unless you’re just miscounting).

On 01/10/2019 at 23:05, Steve Down South said:

Good post - only point I would disagree with is re Joao - far too inconsistent to be regarded as quality and would never put in same class as Hooper.

Absolutely.

Joao is struggling to hold his place at Reading. Hasn’t scored for 8 games and hasn’t been picked in 3 of their last 4. 

Thought this from the BBC website sums things up nicely. Not much in it and we could just have easily won as lost. 

"The second half saw one huge moment for either side, with the difference being Eaves' super header and Winnall's inability to convert from close range."

Sheffield Wednesday manager Garry Monk thought his side should have had a penalty in the latter stages of the match when Jacob Murphy was brought down by Eric Lichaj. 

"Clear cut, 100 per cent, I knew that at the time. Ref's in a good position, linesman's in a good position, the fourth official's in a good position, somehow they don't get it. We have to live with that. Of course it's frustrating. It's clear cut, not even close. Of course you expect at this level to be given those decisions, but it's done now and we can't do anything about it."