Hull and Wigan

Two to go before the International break. Which, for once, I’m happy to see arrive because our relatively old side will benefit from some R&R.

Form, starting with most recent games first:-

Hull home form

Cardiff 2-2 draw

Wigan 2-2 draw

Bristol C 1-3 lost

Blackburn 0-1 lost

Reading 2-1 win

Wigan away form

Fulham 0-2 lost

Hull 2-2 draw

QPR 1-3 lost

Boro 0-1 lost

Preston 0-3 lost

I’m not going to jinx by suggesting anything about these 10 results. 

Instead, concentrating on us, given that the players do get a two week break I don’t imagine there will be any voluntary resting or rotation. Maybe Luongo for Hutch at Hull due to his knock, but that’s no detriment.  Clearly Reach nailed his shirt on yesterday. Can’t see Odu or Iorfa (doh) being moved aside for Tom, who may as well get back to rude health over the next 3 weeks.

I suppose the question is, will we be 442 or 433? Monk went with Nuhiu-Fletcher because he saw something in Boro’s CBs. Surely he will be sorely tempted to stick with it though?

Cant wait for Tuesday to come round. Really looking forward to these next two games. Imagine if we take 4 or 6 points to sit us in the top six or top two, knowing our players then get into those lovely ice-baths for two weeks. 

I think Ive said before about my theory on ice baths....an eminent professor did three years of intense research and concluded that “a nice bath” was the best way to rejuvenate aching athletes, but his secretary was slightly hard of hearing. Thousands of current and ex-athletes have taken out a contract on her.

• Haha 1

Can we capitalise on a good result and have a bit of consistency going into the international break. 

This is Monks big test with this squad. Can he get performances out of them game after game, rather than the 1 in 3 we’ve been used to. 

I still think there is a lot more to get out of this team but the work ethic and organisation in his first 3 games has been pleasing (something that should be a given however)

4 points from the next two games is very doable and would be an excellent base to take into the next international break 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

If we are serious contenders for promotion these are two games we have to win. Simple really.

I think after these two it will be a good indicator as to where we are as a squad. 

Think monk needs more time to fine tweek us and some reinforcements in Jan, but yes against these 2 surely 4 points is a must. 

13 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Fletcher, Palmer, Nuhiu, and maybe Westwood and Bannan and Luongo(?) won't be getting two weeks rest...

...unless they pick up a knock v Wigan.

Oh, and Iorfa will be replacing Keane in the England squad.

I didn’t think that thru did I ?

Lets hope Fletcher and Bannan get one of those pre-International knocks that Ryan Giggs used to get so often.

21 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

If we are serious contenders for promotion these are two games we have to win. Simple really.

I think after these two it will be a good indicator as to where we are as a squad. 

Thats getting ahead of ourselves.

Four points would be great too.

That would give us 11 points from Monk’s 5 games, three of which away from home.

If that’s not promotion form, nothing is.

We should be beating Wigan at Hillsborough. Hull away is always tough but a point is a worthy result from all away games I suppose.

That being said We should have been beating Qpr at home and getting a point at millwall away in what was a very favourable opening 6 games.

I would be happy with 4 points from these 2 games. Anything less than that we can forget about the champions league this year

4 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

We should be beating Wigan at Hillsborough. Hull away is always tough but a point is a worthy result from all away games I suppose.

That being said We should have been beating Qpr at home and getting a point at millwall away in what was a very favourable opening 6 games.

I would be happy with 4 points from these 2 games. Anything less than that we can forget about the champions league this year

QPR who were at the time one of the form teams in the division 

15 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Thats getting ahead of ourselves.

Four points would be great too.

That would give us 11 points from Monk’s 5 games, three of which away from home.

If that’s not promotion form, nothing is.

Disagree. I think sides who are serious about promotion collect 6 points here. We have tougher tests coming up. If the aim is promotion, which it is according to DC, we have to beat Hull and Wigan.

For the record, I think 4 points is much more realistic and would still be a great return. But the club expects promotion, so we should get 6.

12 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Disagree. I think sides who are serious about promotion collect 6 points here. We have tougher tests coming up. If the aim is promotion, which it is according to DC, we have to beat Hull and Wigan.

For the record, I think 4 points is much more realistic and would still be a great return. But the club expects promotion, so we should get 6.

How many points do teams that are serious about  promotion get from Barnsley ?

I may be wrong but I’m fairly certain Fulham are serious about promotion 

• Thanks 1

Were in decent form, but both our next opponents, decent on their day (as with most championship teams) and will be in or around the top 12.

Taking nothing for granted, but if we continue with the momentum we've started to build, have a good chance to get some positive results. 

I'd say Hull the most difficult game, but I'm coming up for the Wigan game and don't want to jinx it. Happy with 4, but 6 points would put us in a great position to consolidate in the top 6 going into Christmas.

Edited by striker

This is kind of the reason we have not challenged top 6 we get a great result again a better team then drop points again the weaker teams. 4-6 points against Hull and Wigan we go into the break top 6, anything less and it's another missed opportunity.

come on Wednesday let's ave em.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Two to go before the International break. Which, for once, I’m happy to see arrive because our relatively old side will benefit from some R&R.

Form, starting with most recent games first:-

Hull home form

Cardiff 2-2 draw

Wigan 2-2 draw

Bristol C 1-3 lost

Blackburn 0-1 lost

Reading 2-1 win

Wigan away form

Fulham 0-2 lost

Hull 2-2 draw

QPR 1-3 lost

Boro 0-1 lost

Preston 0-3 lost

I’m not going to jinx by suggesting anything about these 10 results. 

Instead, concentrating on us, given that the players do get a two week break I don’t imagine there will be any voluntary resting or rotation. Maybe Luongo for Hutch at Hull due to his knock, but that’s no detriment.  Clearly Reach nailed his shirt on yesterday. Can’t see Odu or Iorfa (doh) being moved aside for Tom, who may as well get back to rude health over the next 3 weeks.

I suppose the question is, will we be 442 or 433? Monk went with Nuhiu-Fletcher because he saw something in Boro’s CBs. Surely he will be sorely tempted to stick with it though?

Cant wait for Tuesday to come round. Really looking forward to these next two games. Imagine if we take 4 or 6 points to sit us in the top six or top two, knowing our players then get into those lovely ice-baths for two weeks. 

I think Ive said before about my theory on ice baths....an eminent professor did three years of intense research and concluded that “a nice bath” was the best way to rejuvenate aching athletes, but his secretary was slightly hard of hearing. Thousands of current and ex-athletes have taken out a contract on her.

You've implied it though, which amounts to the same thing, so it will be your fault if it goes boobies up. 

• Haha 1

Ahhhh I know this.

I know what's going on here..

This is the thread where our fans predict/expect 6 points from these two games then have a meltdown when the reality of the Championship hits home. 

One game at a time for me. Lets try and get a point or 3 away at Hull which will be tricky. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think four points would be fantastic but we should be careful about drawing too many conclusions even if we do six.

Edited by Sonny