Hull and Wigan

4 hours ago, debram said:

Think monk needs more time to fine tweek us and some reinforcements in Jan, but yes against these 2 surely 4 points is a must. 

Why are people settling for 4 points, that not the way to finish top 6, it's a state of mind, for me it has to be 6 points if we are serious about trying to get out of this division.

You didn't hear Wilder saying we'll settle for a point against Liverpool.

6 points from the next 2 and we should be in and around the top 4, which will breed confidence within the squad.

5 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

QPR who were at the time one of the form teams in the division 

You have misunderstood the point I was making. I said we should be beating teams at home like we should have beaten Qpr BUT we didnt.... which was my point that nothing is a given not everything goes as expected.

As you kindly wasted your time pointing out Qpr were a form team at the time I'd still expect us to put them away at Hillsborough as I do any team that comes here. If home games arent winnable then we are in trouble

I love the heart and passion that we get from Hutch...but his injuries and lack of flair/vision means that Luongo should be automatic for me.

Hutch passed nearly every ball backwards yesterday as he does most games. Hutch is great in the air too. I'm really not knocking him (much).

Luongo will be more progressive with the ball, he reads the game better and he's strong. He fills the spaces oppositions like to play in between the lines.

Luongo is a starter for me and a possible captain going forwards

5 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Disagree. I think sides who are serious about promotion collect 6 points here. We have tougher tests coming up. If the aim is promotion, which it is according to DC, we have to beat Hull and Wigan.

For the record, I think 4 points is much more realistic and would still be a great return. But the club expects promotion, so we should get 6.

Your lads would probably get 7 points with chrissy in charge. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Two to go before the International break. Which, for once, I’m happy to see arrive because our relatively old side will benefit from some R&R.

Form, starting with most recent games first:-

Hull home form

Cardiff 2-2 draw

Wigan 2-2 draw

Bristol C 1-3 lost

Blackburn 0-1 lost

Reading 2-1 win

Wigan away form

Fulham 0-2 lost

Hull 2-2 draw

QPR 1-3 lost

Boro 0-1 lost

Preston 0-3 lost

I’m not going to jinx by suggesting anything about these 10 results. 

Instead, concentrating on us, given that the players do get a two week break I don’t imagine there will be any voluntary resting or rotation. Maybe Luongo for Hutch at Hull due to his knock, but that’s no detriment.  Clearly Reach nailed his shirt on yesterday. Can’t see Odu or Iorfa (doh) being moved aside for Tom, who may as well get back to rude health over the next 3 weeks.

I suppose the question is, will we be 442 or 433? Monk went with Nuhiu-Fletcher because he saw something in Boro’s CBs. Surely he will be sorely tempted to stick with it though?

Cant wait for Tuesday to come round. Really looking forward to these next two games. Imagine if we take 4 or 6 points to sit us in the top six or top two, knowing our players then get into those lovely ice-baths for two weeks. 

I think Ive said before about my theory on ice baths....an eminent professor did three years of intense research and concluded that “a nice bath” was the best way to rejuvenate aching athletes, but his secretary was slightly hard of hearing. Thousands of current and ex-athletes have taken out a contract on her.

I’d take 4points outta them 2 games personally

1 hour ago, Spookone said:

Why are people settling for 4 points, that not the way to finish top 6, it's a state of mind, for me it has to be 6 points if we are serious about trying to get out of this division.

You didn't hear Wilder saying we'll settle for a point against Liverpool.

6 points from the next 2 and we should be in and around the top 4, which will breed confidence within the squad.

cant argue with that.

4 points would be a good return from the next 2 games. Don't think we will come across a central defence as poor as Middlesboro again this season.

Hull have possibly the best pair of wide forwards in the division in Bowen and Grozicki and should not be underestimated.

Wigan will be scrapping for everything under the savvy management of Paul Cook.

Edited by A E Neuman NYowl
Sp

7 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

If we are serious contenders for promotion these are two games we have to win. Simple really.

I think after these two it will be a good indicator as to where we are as a squad. 

Absolutely agree Sal.

These are the sort of games that have tripped us up in the last few seasons.

Wigan in particular will battle desperately.

Two wins against teams struggling for form will convince me we are on the right track.

Cardiff and Leeds after the break though will see if we are good enough to compete with opponents nearer the top of the table.

We’re having a very winnable series of games right now don’t forget.

6 hours ago, Owling said:

You've implied it though, which amounts to the same thing, so it will be your fault if it goes boobies up. 

Just for a bit of balance.

Hull: unbeaten in four. Eight goals in those games.

Wigan: one loss in four.

Two tough games coming up. Do well to get two draws.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

4 points would be a good return from the next 2 games. Don't think we will come across a central defence as poor as Middlesboro again this season.

Hull have possibly the best pair of wide forwards in the division in Bowen and Grozicki and should not be underestimated.

Wigan will be scrapping for everything under the savvy management of Paul Cook.

Don’t think we should be aiming for just “good”, and we shouldn’t be worrying about the opposition... 6 points it is then.

17 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Just for a bit of balance.

Hull: unbeaten in four. Eight goals in those games.

Wigan: one loss in four.

Two tough games coming up. Do well to get two draws.

lol I really hope that’s not how the players and management are thinking FFS lol

I know there's two games before Cardiff, but they're currently SIX unbeaten. Gonna be tough.

That said, their three wins this season are all against teams currently 17th and lower, and they haven't played a team higher than Fulham in 10th. And some reckon we've had an easy start!

These obviously really are winnable games but, equally obviously there are dangers especially from Hull's strikers. However, we should play like United do, go out on the front foot to win every game.  As Paul Sturrock used to say, draws kill you. So far this season we've only drawn one, and were unlucky not to win at Millwall, which would have put us in the top two. Nowt to lose, go for it.

33 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

These obviously really are winnable games but, equally obviously there are dangers especially from Hull's strikers. However, we should play like United do, go out on the front foot to win every game.  As Paul Sturrock used to say, draws kill you. So far this season we've only drawn one, and were unlucky not to win at Millwall, which would have put us in the top two. Nowt to lose, go for it.

You are right we should try to win both games, but 4 points would be a good return.