The art holding up the ball (Nuhiu thread)

3 hours ago, Beholder said:

The art of keeping the ball and making it stick so we can get higher up the pitch.

Nuhiu is a master of it.

In that system i think Nuhiu is a better option than Fletch.

They could put four defenders on him today and he'd still walk away with the ball. Them that slag him off always seem to forget this about Nuhiu. He is great in these tight physical away games.

It was only when he came of that other players were released and got to play their game. Bannan and Reach for example. Before that Bannan looked like an under 11s player.

Nuhiu should have come on sooner or started..

He arguably should have come on at Milwall too, instead of Rhodes.

last 20 mins-ish I have no problem bringing him on, he’s usually exactly what we need 

3 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

He arguably should have come on at Milwall too, instead of Rhodes.

last 20 mins-ish I have no problem bringing him on, he’s usually exactly what we need 

Oh ffs, we're conveniently ignoring the 96% percent of the time he does fizz all when coming on.  Reactionary nonsense.

I think the main issue is that in a 4-3-3 we need your wide forwards to get much closer to the front man, or you need to overload support through the middle 

In our system we ask them to maintain width and yet no-one else ever gets in the box frequently enough...it’s like we’re caught in between two systems a little.

• Like 1

Guest Bulgaria

Just play 2 up front FFS.

We have 2 speedy wingers now.

You don't need any frikking coaching badges to realise this.

2 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

Just play 2 up front FFS.

We have 2 speedy wingers now.

You don't need any frikking coaching badges to realise this.

But not the right balance in a 4 man midfield. Bannan not productive enough in terms of goals, getting into the box and beyond the strikers. Hutchinson isn't that player either. If you want to rely on two wingers for supply, you have to be strong in the middle and one has to be capable of taking the oppositions centre mids for a run, otherwise they will remain compact and starve the wingers of possession.

You see you say you don't need coaching badges but you've just proved in one post you probably do.

12 hours ago, akbuk said:

Absolutely 

If Nuhiu could start a game  and do what he does as a sub there would be no argument but how many time does he play poorly when he's in the starting line up?

I'm a big fan of his but I can understand why he is disliked by many. He's not a British striker in the big strong centre forward mould despite his size. I don't quite know what he is but he's missed so many sitters when he's been asked to play the CF style. Many of the sitters were easier to score than miss. It does drive people up the wall.

If we play Fletcher we need a quick intelligent player to feed off him and with the best will in the world that is never going to be Atdhe. He just doesn't fit into the way we play unless it's as a sub to shake things up. It's a shame because he's got a lot to offer if the right manager could work out a way to play that made best use of his talents.

Guest Bulgaria
2 hours ago, spike1867 said:

But not the right balance in a 4 man midfield.

So go 3-5-2 then.

Do I get my badges now?

nuhiu will be able to do certain things better than fletcher on certain days, and vice versa.

neither are perfect, but who is?

it's up to the manager to get the side performing to it's best by choosing the correct team, the correct tactics, and implementing effective substitutions.

7 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

So go 3-5-2 then.

Do I get my badges now?

Do we have good enough wingbacks? Are the midfielders mobile enough and tactically astute enough to understand the defensive shortcomings and plug the gaps? You're trying to shoe horn another striker in and there is no evidence of any sort of partnership or understanding between any of them.

Guest Bulgaria
3 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

Do we have good enough wingbacks? Are the midfielders mobile enough You're trying to shoe horn another striker in and there is no evidence of any sort of partnership or understanding between any of them.

Teams sign strikers for millions without knowing if the current striker will form a partnership.

I am absolutely tired of watching us struggle up top, we are all bark but no bite.

We have lots of strikers, but just use one and it's not working.  The new season/ new coach feel has worn off all ready, it's plain to see that we need more up top. 

What do they do in training all week? Just hit it up to Fletcher and hope for the best?  I can't remember the last time someone played a through ball splitting the defence. Everytime we go behind we then look dangerous because we move up 10 yards and play more attacking. 

5 hours ago, McRightSide said:

I think the main issue is that in a 4-3-3 we need your wide forwards to get much closer to the front man, or you need to overload support through the middle 

In our system we ask them to maintain width and yet no-one else ever gets in the box frequently enough...it’s like we’re caught in between two systems a little.

For me this is where we're going wrong, especially at goal kicks.

We're not playing it out from the back anymore, we're generally going long to Fletcher, in this instance Harris and Murphy need to move inside in support.

1 hour ago, Bulgaria said:

Teams sign strikers for millions without knowing if the current striker will form a partnership.

I am absolutely tired of watching us struggle up top, we are all bark but no bite.

We have lots of strikers, but just use one and it's not working.  The new season/ new coach feel has worn off all ready, it's plain to see that we need more up top. 

What do they do in training all week? Just hit it up to Fletcher and hope for the best?  I can't remember the last time someone played a through ball splitting the defence. Everytime we go behind we then look dangerous because we move up 10 yards and play more attacking. 

Yeah, but they sign strikers with an understanding of what the team needs and complements what they have. If you play a target man, you want players to get in and around him. You sign a striker who has a record of playing the role of feeding off a target man. All our strikers are much the same. We've been crying out for a smaller, quick striker, playing off the last defender who can finish, a Gayle, a Vardy type. We've got Nuhiu, Rhodes and Winnall. FF seems to struggle centrally, although the first time I saw him play for us Burnley away, he and Nuhiu looked promising.

1 hour ago, Weshallovercome said:

For me this is where we're going wrong, especially at goal kicks.

We're not playing it out from the back anymore, we're generally going long to Fletcher, in this instance Harris and Murphy need to move inside in support.

One, because of the rule change which has affected a lot of teams and we don't have Hector this year who was more comfortable receiving the ball short from goal kicks, and two because Bannan and Hutch drop so deep we have this huge void in centre mid and no link.

7 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Trouble is with Nuhiu is that he look more surprised than anyone when he still has the ball after going on a mazy run.  He confuses everyone including himself.

Yeh one particular run out of a crowd of about 6 players yesterday defied belief. 

How it stuck to his foot I don't know and im sure nor did he. 

But he does it too often for it to be accidental

Edited by Beholder
  • Like 1