The art holding up the ball (Nuhiu thread)

The art of keeping the ball and making it stick so we can get higher up the pitch.

Nuhiu is a master of it.

In that system i think Nuhiu is a better option than Fletch.

They could put four defenders on him today and he'd still walk away with the ball. Them that slag him off always seem to forget this about Nuhiu. He is great in these tight physical away games.

It was only when he came of that other players were released and got to play their game. Bannan and Reach for example. Before that Bannan looked like an under 11s player.

Nuhiu should have come on sooner or started..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Beholder said:

The art of keeping the ball and making it stick so we can get higher up the pitch.

Nuhiu is a master of it.

They could put four defenders on him today and he'd still walk away with the ball. Them that slag him off always seem to forget this about Nuhiu. He is great in these tight physical away games.

It was only when he came of that other players were released and got to play their game. Bannan and Reach for example. Before that Bannan looked like an under 11s player.

Good at holding the ball up, useless at winning headers or even properly challenging for them resulting in the ball coming straight back at us. Also  not as good at Fletcher at closing down centre backs.

4 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Good at holding the ball up, useless at winning headers or even properly challenging for them resulting in the ball coming straight back at us. Also  not as good at Fletcher at closing down centre backs.

He received the ball from a long punt with his back to goal about 5 or 6 times after he came on.

Then he held onto it, then he released it to one of our players after attracting about 4 defenders to him.

That is what you need in these physical away games.

That fact hasn't changed since the days of Stuart Gray.

Edited by Beholder

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

He received the ball from a long punt with his back to goal about 5 or 6 times after he came on.

Then he held onto it, then he released it to one of our players after attracting about 4 defenders to him.

So as i said then

2 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

We never looked like scoring till Dave came on , but why is that ? 

Cos he attracts defenders to him and free's up the other players.

That was vintage Nuhiu today.

Shame it was only for the last 20 minutes

Edited by Beholder
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Beholder said:

If it comes onto his chest rather than his head then he can hold it up and bring players in. I agree he is a useful squad member to have for this approach and could have been used earlier today.

Not sure he would have been better to start though. Fletcher is unrivaled in our squad in terms of winning headers up front and much of our attacking play this season has come from him accurately heading into the path of our wingers to start our attacks.

Unfortunately in our last couple of away games our midfield seem to sit way too deep from the start and Fletcher is isolated when teams cotton on to the fact that the wide players are the only ones who look like supporting him in the opposition half.

By the time Nuhiu came on we were chasing the game and actually got players around our forwards in support of them. 

I don’t have a problem with Nuhiu. I think he’s a good squad player...but he’s not as good at leading the line / holding the ball / bringing others into play as Fletcher.

The Problem today was that Fletcher - and I don’t want to be too critical as he’s been excellent for the last 6-9 months - played like he’d aged 10 years overnight

Guest LittleG
52 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Nuhiu is a master of it.

It's possible that he could have come on a little earlier but to suggest to start him in front of Fletcher; no way, Fletch has been excellent this season

2 minutes ago, LittleG said:

It's possible that he could have come on a little earlier but to suggest to start him in front of Fletcher; no way, Fletch has been excellent this season

I think most would have been shocked if Fletcher had been benched for Nuhiu for the game today. Fletcher should get a rest at Rotherham though and Nuhiu is likely to replace him if we play a similar shape. Those who come in need to step up and show their worth. 

Expecting the likes of Iorfa and Luongo, maybe Bates to get a start in midweek.