The art holding up the ball (Nuhiu thread)

10 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

True but he needs an end product.  

In a game like that I'm fine with his end product being a pass another team mate.

I know it's easy to say in hindsight but he should have started in a front two against Millwall and Preston. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beholder said:

In a game like that I'm fine with his end product being a pass another team mate.

I know it's easy to say in hindsight but he should have started in a front two against Millwall and Preston. 

I define end product as a pass or goal.  I wouldn't start him himself.

Edited by Mycroft

Nuhiu seems to suit certain games far more than others, it sometimes feels like the better the defence he's up against the better he'll play. The FA Cup was a perfect case in point - I remember him getting dominated away at Macclesfield a few years ago, then the next season he scores and puts in a brilliant performance at Man City.

21 hours ago, Beholder said:

The art of keeping the ball and making it stick so we can get higher up the pitch.

Nuhiu is a master of it.

In that system i think Nuhiu is a better option than Fletch.

They could put four defenders on him today and he'd still walk away with the ball. Them that slag him off always seem to forget this about Nuhiu. He is great in these tight physical away games.

It was only when he came of that other players were released and got to play their game. Bannan and Reach for example. Before that Bannan looked like an under 11s player.

Nuhiu should have come on sooner or started..

it's ok holding the ball up bud..but he's crap at putting it in the net,which none of our strikers will do often enough

He's very effective as a sub. There's been many so called clumbersome players that have been worth their weight in gold for what they do. He's scored goals wi his head but his feet, strength and he's technically good make up for heading. 

The atdhe issue for me is when the bad game he has which is not that often he looks really bad. On the flip side. When he good he is unplayable against. The trick is to utilise the benefits of atdhe in the right games and help him to be match fit for those appearances. The Millwall away and pne with leeds, Cardiff and hull perhaps away from home AN is ideal. I never know if he better to start or come on later when its apparent we being bullied. 

Bannan is a far bigger problem atm. He makes the difference how we play but is muscled out of the game far too often. He only effective when we winning the midfield battle. Og Bannan not able to play his passes then he a liability as he has nothing else to offer. KL had a tough time at PNE due to trying to do Bannans muscle work hoping to make space for BB to use. PNE sussed it straight away. It just made KL look anonymous taking responsibility for the lack in strength. Bannan makes our middle to flimsy 

13 hours ago, prowl said:

If Nuhiu could start a game  and do what he does as a sub there would be no argument but how many time does he play poorly when he's in the starting line up?

I'm a big fan of his but I can understand why he is disliked by many. He's not a British striker in the big strong centre forward mould despite his size. I don't quite know what he is but he's missed so many sitters when he's been asked to play the CF style. Many of the sitters were easier to score than miss. It does drive people up the wall.

If we play Fletcher we need a quick intelligent player to feed off him and with the best will in the world that is never going to be Atdhe. He just doesn't fit into the way we play unless it's as a sub to shake things up. It's a shame because he's got a lot to offer if the right manager could work out a way to play that made best use of his talents.

Totally agree. AN is a totally unique player. On his day he can do any skill set he wants. Its just not together. I genuinely think our downfall is playing high balls to him. He better with his feet than his head. He's not a bad header of the ball. But for his size he could be much better. 

The 2nd half of 16/17 season he was brilliant. Jos actually had the best out of him. He just never regained the form he showed us. 

If AN would play every game to the best of his abilities he would never be dropped. Perhaps we should use his skills better. We do seem to become very narrow minded when AN is playing. The predictable passes and general play does him no favours

• Like 1