U23s v Watford (a)

On 23/08/2019 at 17:46, Youth Hawker said:

Anyone watching 18's tomorrow?

I wasn't able to find any live updates from yesterday's match

But our U18s got off the mark with a nice 3-1 win home to Millwall

With a bit of luck details and clips will appear on the OS in the next day or two

U/23s have some good players but struggling defensively. They were looking for defenders pre season and we may have come up short. Only based on John's comments but sounds woeful defending cost us. Also think Thompson required back in charge of these lads to help them progress.

It’s always difficult to know for certain how good the current batch of young players we have are or could eventually be. This current first team squad needs an overhaul at some stage and it looks to me that any number between 5 and 10 of the current under-18 and under-23 team could be become a part of this overhaul.

That said who the manager is long term will probably dictate this? I would say it’s a certainty if it’s Bullen but as I’ve said in other posts I have my doubts about whether Bullen has the credentials or not to be the main man at S6.

56 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

It’s always difficult to know for certain how good the current batch of young players we have are or could eventually be. This current first team squad needs an overhaul at some stage and it looks to me that any number between 5 and 10 of the current under-18 and under-23 team could be become a part of this overhaul.

That said who the manager is long term will probably dictate this? I would say it’s a certainty if it’s Bullen but as I’ve said in other posts I have my doubts about whether Bullen has the credentials or not to be the main man at S6.

I think major strides have been made over the past 2-3 seasons regarding the quality of youngsters coming through the system

There are fewer trialists coming in and more players advancing through the ranks

As for breaking into the senior squad?

I'm a believer that if they catch the eye of our coaching staff then they'll get their chance

But it's hard for them with a squad like ours - strong in numbers and packed with experience

Just as a realistic promotion push would be hard with a squad that relies on youngsters to fill the gaps

Loaning these players out to gain experience (when they're ready) still seems like the best option

And I'm guessing those decisions have more to do with Steve Haslam & co than whoever happens to be in charge of the 1st team

21 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Hope you're looking after Billy.

Y' know, forget the umpteenth remake of Godzilla

I'm waiting for "Billy The Mountain - The Movie"

The idea of a mountain crunching across the Mojave Desert towards Las Vegas and destroying Edwards Airforce Base en route ...?

That has to be the kinda stuff CGI artists dream about  :laugh: