U23s v Watford (a)

21 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I think major strides have been made over the past 2-3 seasons regarding the quality of youngsters coming through the system

There are fewer trialists coming in and more players advancing through the ranks

As for breaking into the senior squad?

I'm a believer that if they catch the eye of our coaching staff then they'll get their chance

But it's hard for them with a squad like ours - strong in numbers and packed with experience

Just as a realistic promotion push would be hard with a squad that relies on youngsters to fill the gaps

Loaning these players out to gain experience (when they're ready) still seems like the best option

And I'm guessing those decisions have more to do with Steve Haslam & co than whoever happens to be in charge of the 1st team

Wouldn’t necessarily knock the trialists, as that’s how most of the group got here in the first place, including John’s lad

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Wouldn’t necessarily knock the trialists, as that’s how most of the group got here in the first place, including John’s lad

I'm talking about U23 level

I think John's lad was about 17 when he signed up, so I'd say he's 'progressed through the ranks'  :unsure:

Four or five years back though, we were taking on players released by the likes of Wigan, Preston & Millwall who turned out for our U23s and got no further

More recently, Thorniley (from Everton) has fared better and now we have this new lad from Wimbledon

But by and large our current U23s are dominated by lads who have stepped up from the U18s

And that's what I meant  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

On 25/08/2019 at 11:47, Ethel The Tree said:

Great goal by Lewis Farmer for the 3rd. He's converted to a right back this season and done really well there. 

Good result and decent performance.

• Like 1