Loan Watch Rides Again!

On 19/09/2019 at 19:21, LSOwls said:

Kinda feel like the best thread on Owlstalk has been ruined by the Jos chat :ph34r:

It was pretty reasoned chat in fairness, not like Carlos threads where it tends to devolve into "what a c***, ruined our club" blah, blah, blah...

But yes, back to the loanees - I get the feeling this move is the end of Penney's time with us, I doubt he took kindly to being loaned out when we've only really got one true left back in the squad and not a particularly great one at that.

57 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

It was pretty reasoned chat in fairness, not like Carlos threads where it tends to devolve into "what a c***, ruined our club" blah, blah, blah...

But yes, back to the loanees - I get the feeling this move is the end of Penney's time with us, I doubt he took kindly to being loaned out when we've only really got one true left back in the squad and not a particularly great one at that.

no idea if your right or wrong but the club would know that its possible and were happy for him to go …...we cant have it  both ways that we need to send young players out on loan  and then worry that if they do well they wont come back …...IF  he has got the hump and doesn't re sign then he either stays abroad or he comes back finds a club in England and we get a fee . 

On 19/09/2019 at 21:34, malek said:

I rate your opinion, but I'm not sure about that. Think his lack of experience and how to balance his attacking and defensive duties coused him some problems. Certainly got all tools to combat Championship wingers.

His positional sense was abysmal. 

On 18/09/2019 at 17:50, OwlinOldham said:

Obviously just speculation on my part, but anyone think Jos was told by DC to offload the big earners? Maybe this was the reason he froze them out, hoping they would move on? No secret that we were screwwed in terms of FFP if we didnt go up that year. Maybe DC didnt have the stadium sale plan lined up at that point and told Jos to move big earners and those deemed surplus on. 

Think he was always gonna struggle here. He came, he tried, he failed. Club was a mess behind the scenes anyways so anyone would have probs failed.

Either he was told not to play them by DC or some senior players were trouble.

The glaring clue was Westwood. Only a fool would say Westwood was our third-choice. There was something else afoot.

On 19/09/2019 at 18:33, malek said:

Nope. For start he is quick and left footed, and those two are base requirements for left back position that none of our other left backs have.

Moving on then.

Had a quick look around on the Reading Hob-nob forum, and searched “Joao”.

Its like Owlstalk from 16/17 when Lucas couldn’t stand up.

He is an odd one. Talent to burn, all the physical attributes, yet something missing.

Macclesfield  2-3  Port Vale               (att:  757)

2nd round of Trophy matches and as if to confirm my earlier assertion that Connor Kirby has nailed his place in Macc's starting XI ...?

He was an unused sub for this one

South Shields  2-0  Gainsborough

Ciaran Brennan started his game though, made a goal line clearance and picked up his first booking too

But the league leaders broke the deadlock in the 42nd minute

Then added a second in the 93rd, after Trinity had played the last 25mins with 10 men

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 24/09/2019 at 07:15, Holmowl said:

Moving on then.

Had a quick look around on the Reading Hob-nob forum, and searched “Joao”.

Its like Owlstalk from 16/17 when Lucas couldn’t stand up.

He is an odd one. Talent to burn, all the physical attributes, yet something missing.

I had a look too. Comments range from a shìtter version of Emile Heskey when Heskey was at his shìttest to the worst striking performance they've ever seen Vs Blackburn. They're the more polite ones...

• Haha 1

25th September - Scottish League Cup qtr final

Livingston  0-1  Rangers              (att:  8,160)

Tempted to say Jack Stobbs has nailed his place on Livi's bench, but it might be taken too literally

Despite going a goal down after just 5mins and failing to have a single shot on target throughout the whole game

His manager obviously decided that was the best place for him  :sad:

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Macclesfield  2-3  Port Vale               (att:  757)

The attendences for that competition are shocking in the early rounds.

imagine the number of fans at Wembley if 2 premier league academy teams make the final.

Mate of mine is a season ticket holder at Swindon and doesn't go to any league trophy games and has literally zero interest in them. Having said that I think he went when they made the final (DiCanios Swindon v Sheridans Chesterfield).

4 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

While we're on about attendances ...

The non-league games don't generally publish theirs straight away, hardly surprising really

But the South Shields v Gainsborough game attracted 1,205

Which is pretty good for a 7th tier match on a Tuesday night   ;-)

see that the not so young anymore jon shaw  scored for south shields …...I believe shields have got some rich bloke who chucks money at it and the locals have bought into it . 

• Thanks 1

Guest Grez Bez
42 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

While we're on about attendances ...

The non-league games don't generally publish theirs straight away, hardly surprising really

But the South Shields v Gainsborough game attracted 1,205

Which is pretty good for a 7th tier match on a Tuesday night   ;-)

Check non league matters website

27th September

Wehen Wiesbaden  2-0  VfL Osnabruck              (att:  3,723)

This a clash between two newly-promoted sides

VfL finished up 3.Liga champions while Wiesbaden went up via the play-offs after finishing 3rd

Joost van Aken's 6th consecutive start probably marks VfL's worst result of the season so far as their hosts were rooted bottom

of the league with one solitary point, no clean sheets and 23 goals conceded after seven games .... until tonight !!

• Thanks 1