Loan Watch Rides Again!

So, who are Wiesbaden and why such a low attendance figure?

Well ....

Originally known as SV Wehen, the club relocated about six miles from the town of Taunusstein to the city of Wiesbaden and a brand spanking new 13,000 all seater stadium, changing their name in the process. This in 2007 to coincide with promotion to the 2.Bundesliga for the first time in their history

There's nothing to suggest the move was unpopular with Wehen's hardcore Ultras (their old ground only held 5k) but I'll stick my neck out here and say relegation followed by another ten seasons in 3.Liga probably failed to capture the imagination of the good people of Wiesbaden (population similar in size to Leicester or Coventry)

So it's gotta be that and/or being bottom of the league with one solitary point etc   :dry:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just setting our own 1st team celebrations to one side for a moment ...

giphy.gif

28 September

Hamilton  2-1  Livingston                    (att:  1,075)

Pity Jack Stobbs couldn't celebrate his first start for Livi with a win

They started well enough, went ahead, but then conceded an equalizer in first half injury time

Jack was the first player subbed off (58mins) but it perhaps backfired as the Accies took the spoils with a late penalty

Watched by a crowd smaller than Gainsborough's midweek clash at South Shields

Macclesfield  1-1  Colchester                (att:  1,532)

Connor Kirby restored to Macc's starting XI also saw his side lose a first half advantage in stoppage time

The difference being, he saw out the whole game and his side managed to keep the point

Maybe it was a good point given Colchester's higher league placing and midweek cup heroics

But it sees Macc continue their gradual slide down the table to 17th

Gainsborough  2-2  Mickleover Sports

Ciaran Brennan also played the whole game on his 3rd appearance for Trinity

But they had to come from behind twice and rely on a last minute goal grab a valuable point

It doesn't help their own precarious league position much but it still probably felt like the winner ...

We know what that feels like   :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

On 25/09/2019 at 22:16, Ethel The Tree said:

While we're on about attendances ...

The non-league games don't generally publish theirs straight away, hardly surprising really

But the South Shields v Gainsborough game attracted 1,205

Which is pretty good for a 7th tier match on a Tuesday night   ;-)

I've got a friend who's stopped going to league matches and watched Gainsborough instead ,people are being priced out of professional football

29 September

St Pauli  2-0  SV Sandhausen               (att:  29,546)

Matt Penney's 4th appearance - 3rd start - saw St Pauli increase their unbeaten run to five games

He played the whole game, initially in a more advanced role on the left of a midfield three

Then more of a conventional LB in the 2nd half

Well that's according to the uk.soccerway graphic anyroad  :dry:

The win sees them move ahead of Sandhausen (and Osnabruck) and up to 6th in the table

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, akbuk said:

I've got a friend who's stopped going to league matches and watched Gainsborough instead ,people are being priced out of professional football

Sad but true  :sad:

Non-league football does have it's appeal though, and the standard can be surprisingly good sometimes

The Twitter updates failed to credit Ciaran with an assist for Trinity's first goal (about 6mins 20sec ^)

In fact, he showed a few nice touches throughout these clips

He's blue No.2 by the way  :rolleyes:

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Sad but true  :sad:

Non-league football does have it's appeal though, and the standard can be surprisingly good sometimes

The Twitter updates failed to credit Ciaran with an assist for Trinity's first goal (about 6mins 20sec ^)

In fact, he showed a few nice touches throughout these clips

He's blue No.2 by the way  :rolleyes:

Some familiar names on both sides.

Well done to Ciaran. Did great for first goal.

On 23/09/2019 at 21:07, Groundhopping Owl said:

It was pretty reasoned chat in fairness, not like Carlos threads where it tends to devolve into "what a c***, ruined our club" blah, blah, blah...

But yes, back to the loanees - I get the feeling this move is the end of Penney's time with us, I doubt he took kindly to being loaned out when we've only really got one true left back in the squad and not a particularly great one at that.

The lads young and learning his trade if he racks up 30 games in Germany he'll come back a far better player and more ready for the mayhem and chaos of championship football. 

It worked wonders for Thornily being out on loan, so I wouldn't write the kid off playing for us just yet. 

1st October

Gainsborough  4-1  Bamber Bridge

A comfortable win by the looks, 3-0 up at half time then adding the 4th in the 93rd minute

It was actually Trinity's first league win since August and a welcome 3pts that moves them out the bottom three,

above Brig and up to 16th in the table

Ciaran Brennan played the whole game and was even voted player of the month in one on-line poll

Although I don't know whether the award was official - or whether he had a load of 'visiting' Wednesday fans to thank for it  :mellow:

Still, he's doing well

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

This Penn (e) y makes the FC St. Pauli richer!

After his stuttering start against Holstein Kiel, when he had to shower early on his debut with a yellow-red card early, Matthew Penney has provee valuable:

With the left-hander in the neighborhood the club is unbeaten , In four games with the Englishman there were two wins and two draws.

In the summer, Matt Penney came to FC St. Pauli - and feels comfortable right away. A special highlight for him was the 2: 0 at Millerntor against HSV. "The Derby victory was my best experience so far," he tells the MOPO, describing: "Incredible, the atmosphere that prevailed in this game. I know how important it was for FC St. Pauli and its fans to win against HSV. "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

This Penn (e) y makes the FC St. Pauli richer!

After his stuttering start against Holstein Kiel, when he had to shower early on his debut with a yellow-red card early, Matthew Penney has provee valuable:

With the left-hander in the neighborhood the club is unbeaten , In four games with the Englishman there were two wins and two draws.

In the summer, Matt Penney came to FC St. Pauli - and feels comfortable right away. A special highlight for him was the 2: 0 at Millerntor against HSV. "The Derby victory was my best experience so far," he tells the MOPO, describing: "Incredible, the atmosphere that prevailed in this game. I know how important it was for FC St. Pauli and its fans to win against HSV. "

I'm quite certain that St Pauli got 10 points from 4 games that Penney played in. 3 wins and 1 draw.

• Thanks 1