Loan Watch Rides Again!

On 30/09/2019 at 19:15, shezzas left peg said:

The lads young and learning his trade if he racks up 30 games in Germany he'll come back a far better player and more ready for the mayhem and chaos of championship football. 

It worked wonders for Thornily being out on loan, so I wouldn't write the kid off playing for us just yet. 

Oh I do think Penney will improve in Germany - but I doubt we'll get to reap the benefits, his contract is up in the summer.

17 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Oh I do think Penney will improve in Germany - but I doubt we'll get to reap the benefits, his contract is up in the summer.

I do think well asses the situation when he comes back and if mnk feels he's ready for first team offer the lad a new contract. 

It will then depend on where he wants to be playing his football next year. 

1 hour ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Our chance of retaining Penney probably depends on whether there's any chance of a recall in January. If he stays there til the end of the season his head's likely to be turned by someone else, whether it be here or abroad. 

I'll repeat an earlier post on the subject ...

On 17/09/2019 at 14:43, Ethel The Tree said:

I'm sure Lee Bullen said in interview that although the loan was for the whole season it would be reviewed around Christmas time

As for him being lured abroad for peanuts?

I can't imagine the club would walk into such an obvious trap

I'm guessing we have an option to renew, similar to Keiren Westwood over the summer

We thought we might lose him but were in the driving seat all along

I'm not ITK or anything (more like KFA in this case)

But we have to give those who make these decision a bit of credit, don't we?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I'll repeat an earlier post on the subject ...

I'm not ITK or anything (more like KFA in this case)

But we have to give those who make these decision a bit of credit, don't we?

In which case yes I think that would be much more positive - recalling him after a solid run of games ready to plug him into the team straight after Christmas could end up working brilliantly.

5th October

Cambridge Utd  2-2  Macclesfield            (att:  3,678)

Home side led at half time but then needed a late-ish equalizer to salvage a point

A good away point for Macc who'll probably feel disappointed they couldn't keep all three

Connor Kirby played the whole game but picked up another yellow card deep into injury time

Basford Utd  4-3  Gainsborough

This one looks like a thriller, but Ciaran Brennan probably got to watch most of it from the sidelines

He started but was subbed off on 36mins with his side trailing 2-0 (I'm hoping a tactical change rather than injury)

Trinity made it 2-1 shortly after the break but were 4-1 down not long after

What followed sounds like a grandstand finish

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stobbs not even on the bench for Livingston today.

Another start and good performance for Penney in hard away game at Nurmberg. Did great to create goal that sadly got ruled out for offside. After pulling ball back for scorer Penney got judged for obstructing keeper's view while in offside position. Unlucky.

• Thanks 2

Wasn't able to access Owlstalk at all yesterday  :unsure: ... or this morning

So better late than never

6th October

Livingston  2-0  Celtic               (att:  8,196)

Jack Stobbs failed to make the matchday squad for the first time

Nothing to suggest he was injured, more a case of his manager making changes after chucking 3pts away last time out

So naturally, Livi go and produce their best result of the season so far even though Celtic played most of the game with 10 men

Get the impression Jack might have his work cut out to get back in  :sad:

FC Nurnberg  1-1  St Pauli           (att:  32,117)

Matt Penney played the whole of this one though - as LB in an orthodox back four

Which meant his best work was mostly done in his own half

The only thing separating these sides is a +1 goal difference but St Pauli might feel it should be 3pts

They led at half time, had a couple of goals ruled out (one by VAR) but looked to be hanging on a bit at the end

The point moves them up to 5th

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

After seeing what Börner has done after moving here from 2. Bundesliga, I really really hope that we're doing everything we can to ensure we bring Penney back at the end of his loan. If he's being a main left back for a side chasing promotion from that league, he's clearly kicked on enough to be a main left back for a similar side in the Championship. 

Some good players on show in Bundesliga 2 from what I’ve seen so far.

Also lots of players have stepped up. Both full backs at Leipzig who are both German internationals were signed from Bochum and St Pauli respectively.

Some bargains to be had, just look at Borner and the guys Norwich signed and Huddersfield in their promotion season.