Loan Watch Rides Again!

On 20/10/2019 at 15:00, Ethel The Tree said:

I don't know why Jack Stobbs is being overlooked but I'd prefer to hear his coach's version of events and not some fan claiming it's because he's crap

If you want, I can do it for you: he's crap

One of those that probably just doesn't have a future in the game. He's never looked good enough (boo, StudentOwl being negative, booooo)

• Thanks 1

Ciaran Brennan turned out for our U23s this afternoon

So it's probably safe to say his loan spell at Gainsborough expired sometime over the last few days

In summary he managed five games for them in total - 4 league (1 cup)  =  W1  D1  L2(1)

Injury in the last game no doubt preventing a higher total

He also collected their Player Of The Month Award for September   :biggrin:

Well done, Ciaran 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

30th October

Hibernian  2-2  Livingston         (att:  14,662)

Well that Livingston manager is a right tease, in't he?   :dry:

He sat there and watched his side ease themselves into a comfortable 2-0 half time lead then started to make changes around the hour mark

Couple of minutes after his first sub, Hibs pull a goal back from the spot

Two more changes followed that and then Hibs go and rescue a point in injury time

Think how differently things might have turned out if Jack Stobbs had been one of 'em ....

St Pauli  1-2  Eintracht Frankfurt

Still waiting for the crowd figure, but I don't know whether the Germans treat cup ties like squad competitions like we do over here

Either way, top flight opposition at home? Seemed keenly contested

A change of formation saw St Pauli play three at the back and Matt Penney given another 90mins higher up the pitch

Frankfurt raced into an early 2-0 lead but were then pegged back before HT when St Pauli scored from the spot

The rest of the game was played mostly in the visitor's half but with too few clear cut chances

Ah well ...

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

30th October

Hibernian  2-2  Livingston         (att:  14,662)

Well that Livingston manager is a right tease, in't he?   :dry:

He sat there and watched his side ease themselves into a comfortable 2-0 half time lead then started to make changes around the hour mark

Couple of minutes after his first sub, Hibs pull a goal back from the spot

Two more changes followed that and then Hibs go and rescue a point in injury time

Think how differently things might have turned out if Jack Stobbs had been one of 'em ....

St Pauli  1-2  Eintracht Frankfurt

Still waiting for the crowd figure, but I don't know whether the Germans treat cup ties like squad competitions like we do over here

Either way, top flight opposition at home? Seemed keenly contested

A change of formation saw St Pauli play three at the back and Matt Penney given another 90mins higher up the pitch

Frankfurt raced into an early 2-0 lead but were then pegged back before HT when St Pauli scored from the spot

The rest of the game was played mostly in the visitor's half but with too few clear cut chances

Ah well ...

Attendances are generally pretty solid - hats off in particular to Dynamo Dresden who took 35,000 away fans (not a misprint) to Hertha Berlin tonight. Lost on penalties after a 3-3 draw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Attendances are generally pretty solid - hats off in particular to Dynamo Dresden who took 35,000 away fans (not a misprint) to Hertha Berlin tonight. Lost on penalties after a 3-3 draw.

Leeds would have taken more.

lol

• Haha 2

Guest Grez Bez
49 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Wowsers

48 minutes ago, Slogboy said:

Another 90 mins in a great atmosphere. What an experience Penney is having. No wonder he's loving it

Yeah, we need to bring him back to the half empty Hillsborough to play Wigan on a wet Tuesday night. 

8 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

St Pauli v Frankfurt attendance now confirmed at 29,500 - which is a full house, give or take

They obviously aren't hampered by any SAG restrictions

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Slogboy said:

Exactly, Penneys living the dream.

Playing in front of 29500 fans/ ultras

I'm sure he's enjoying his time there - regular games, big crowds, exotic locations  :rolleyes:

I'm just hoping their results pick up as the mood from the terraces might alter things

Same applies to VfL as it's more likely Joost van Aken is in the shop window there. Success breeds confidence etc

Jack Stobbs? Bit of a knife edge there, I reckon

He's not getting the game time and that's the one thing he needs most of all

Connor Kirby is getting plenty of game time - he's clocked up 17 appearances already

But Macclesfield are in the news again today for being unable to pay their staff and players ... again

Plus their form is patchy at best - still, it's all good experience  :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I've been to Dresden, really interesting and nice place. I'd recommend it for anybody going over the East side of Germany. The football club as well has a pretty interesting history. 

Still not been to a German game which is criminal really. Our lass is from Saarland though and I think the nearest Bundesliga team is Mainz which is 2 hours away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CalmJimmers said:

I've been to Dresden, really interesting and nice place. I'd recommend it for anybody going over the East side of Germany. The football club as well has a pretty interesting history. 

Still not been to a German game which is criminal really. Our lass is from Saarland though and I think the nearest Bundesliga team is Mainz which is 2 hours away. 

Was just there a couple of weeks ago, yeah it’s a brilliant city.

German games and the atmosphere are a double-edged sword - I did the real Leipzig derby (Chemie v Lokomotiv, sod Red Bull) a few weeks ago and I got to enjoy the bonkers atmosphere from the open terrace behind the goal. On the downside, the relationship between clubs, footballing authorities and police is dreadful, even worse than England, to the point where there were no away fans allowed because they couldn’t agree on an allocation.

Edited by Groundhopping Owl
  • Thanks 1

Who ...?

No.4   SSV  Jahn  Regensburg

Regensburg ... another beauty spot set in the heart of Bavaria and regarded as Germany's 'best preserved medieval city'

Built on the banks of the Danube and located between Munich, Nuremberg and the Czech border

It looks like the kind of place you'd expect to see decorating the front of a biscuit tin  :biggrin:

Current population puts it on a par with ...... Huddersfield ... but I think all comparisons should probably end there 

Like most present-day clubs, SSV Jahn trace their origins back to the 19th c. but football would come later

Also like many of their rivals, the club would regularly re-invent itself over the years -  most recently around the turn of this century

But struggling away in the 4th tier and on the brink of going bust, it took moving to a new 15k capacity stadium in 2015 to give 'em the boost they needed

They won successive promotions, first to 3.Liga and then via the 2017 play-off to 2.Bundesliga at the expense of 'local' rivals 1860 Munchen *

Now they've established a foothold in the 2nd tier things are looking up

* They actually drew the home leg 1-1 and then won 2-0 in Munich in front of over 62,000

So given their status and the timing of those games (May 2017) perhaps they have more in common with Huddersfield than I thought  :dry:

• Thanks 1