Loan Watch Rides Again!

12th October

Macclesfield  2-1  Port Vale            (att:  3,467)

Understatement to say this is a welcome 3pts for Connor Kirby & co

Macc's first league win in eight, and only their second win in eleven (all competitions)

They had to work for it too - going behind and levelling things up before half time

They were good value for their lead but were clinging on a bit towards the end

Connor played the whole game

Despite such a lousy run, the win moves them above Vale on goal difference and up to 12th

• Thanks 5

Gainsborough  0-2  Atherton Colliery

No sign of Ciaran Brennan for this one, which suggests either

a) he's out injured - possible, he was subbed early last time out

b) his youth loan period has expired - also possible but he's only been there three weeks or so. I think it's more likely

c) he's away with the Rep of Ireland U19s who have a friendly v Denmark on Monday

If that's the case then Conor Grant has probably joined him, but as there's been no official word ....

Anyroad, looks like Trinity could've done with him

They went behind to a 1st half penalty

Then Atherton missed another penalty

Then Trinity missed one of their own before the visitors wrapped things up late on

• Thanks 1

Just now, Statto Owl said:

Conor Grant is with the Rep Ireland u19s, Ciaran Brennan isn't

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/ireland-u19-mohan-names-squad-for-denmark-friendlies

I was just typing that if Grant isn’t good enough for the Ireland u19 I would eat my hat, fortunately it can stay on my head now.  He’s a top player 

• Like 1

Heard it confirmed earlier that Ciaran Brennan is out through injury

I'd imagine he's receiving treatment back at S6

Whether he'll return to Gainsborough when fit again is anyone's guess

But it seems only fair to keep one eye on their progress just in case ...

15th October

Gainsborough  0-0  Buxton

Buxton sit bottom of the league and got beat 7-0 last time out

They won 7-0 the time before that

So I reckon this one had 0-0 written all over it  :dry:

54 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Not sure if he is too old for the Ireland U19s from this season as he is a year in front of Grant.  Brennan 2nd year pro whilst Grant is a first.

I'm not too sure how these things work either

But I do know Ciaran was in their U19 squad (with Conor Grant) in pre-season and won his first cap v Portugal on 24th July

He's also named in their current squad for this year's UEFA U19 Championship - if uk.soccerway can be relied upon

But as he's missed the last couple of Gainsborough games through injury that might explain why he was overlooked for last week's

friendlies v Denmark

The Irish lads are back in competition with three games next month, so let's see if he gets the call for those

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I'm not too sure how these things work either

But I do know Ciaran was in their U19 squad (with Conor Grant) in pre-season and won his first cap v Portugal on 24th July

He's also named in their current squad for this year's UEFA U19 Championship - if uk.soccerway can be relied upon

But as he's missed the last couple of Gainsborough games through injury that might explain why he was overlooked for last week's

friendlies v Denmark

The Irish lads are back in competition with three games next month, so let's see if he gets the call for those

Sad thing is that at European Championship's that ROI played this summer Grant didn't get to play much. He got twice off the bench in what were no more but token appearances. In his favorite left wing/left midfield spot he was in packing order behind Southampton left-back and Brighton's 16 years old left winger. If 12 players didn't pulled out of Irish squad, there is no way that he would have been picked into the squad.

On a positive note he got 70 minutes in 2:0 defeat to Denmark, and going by what I heard was arguably Irish best player.

• Thanks 2

19th October

An anticlimax for us Loan Watchers  :mellow:

Oldham  0-1  Macclesfield              (att:  4,428)

Connor Kirby did his bit, playing the first 80mins of a tight encounter before being subbed off

Turned out to be tactically inspired as his replacement grabbed the winner six minutes later

Macc's 2nd win on the bounce moves them up to 9th in the league

St Pauli  0-1  Darmstadt 98             (att:  29,412)

Matt Penney on the other hand watched this one as an unused sub

Poor result for Jos - losing at home to a team that started 5pts below them

Wouldn't help matters that the visitors waited until he'd played all his subs before scoring the goal that won the game

Kilmarnock  2-1  Livingston             (att:  4,828)

No sign of Jack Stobbs in Livi's matchday squad .... again

I suppose it worked last time, they beat Celtic, but this defeat sees Kilmarnock leapfrog them in the table

Ashton Utd  3-1  Gainsborough

And once again, Ciaran Brennan missing presumed injured and Trinity continue to struggle without him

They conceded three goals in 8mins either side of half time before pulling one back from the spot

Unfortunately, this defeat together with other results leaves them bottom of the league

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

20th October

Hannover 96  0-0  VfL Osnabruck              (att:  37,600)

I'm guessing this wasn't a thriller

Still, Joost van Aken's side earned a good point away at one of the division's 'big fish'

And they kept a clean sheet too. But that's now five games without a win and it doesn't help their league position much

Can't imagine Hannover's fans being too chuffed though, the point also leaves them in the bottom half

They're more used to playing in the top flight and were relegated last season (for the second time in recent years)

As VfL are newly promoted (and currently below them in the table) this probably feels like another two points down the drain  :mellow:

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, LSOwls said:

Has anybody seen any of their fans opinions of them on their club forums?

I'd be more interested in any comments from their coaches or team mates tbf

I think fan comments can be erm... misleading  :dry:

I mean, imagine any geordies coming on Owlstalk to see what we think of Jacob Murphy

And yet if he'd been awarded the penalty that saw us grab a point at Hull - along with the one he should've got at Huddersfield - he might be playing with more confidence and receiving more praise than he is right now

I don't know why Jack Stobbs is being overlooked but I'd prefer to hear his coach's version of events and not some fan claiming it's because he's crap

• Like 1

22nd October

Cheltenham  3-0  Macclesfield          (att:  2,632)

Macclesfield no doubt hoped to extend their two-match winning run and gradual climb up the table

But Cheltenham are on an impressive run of their own

This, their 6th league win in eight unbeaten, moves them up to 2nd - and Macc back down to mid-table

Another 90mins under Connor Kirby's belt though

• Thanks 2

26th October

Another abridged loan update - mostly due to the weather this time

Macclesfield v Bradford City was called off early, which gave Connor Kirby a free afternoon

As was Gainsborough's FA Trophy match away to Dunston

But since I have no idea about Ciaran Brennan's fitness and/or current loan situation, I've decided to cut them loose

We know they're struggling. They've just sacked their manager and replaced him with an ol' pig fer chrissakes. How bad can it get?

But seriously, I'll resume regular updates if or when there's an active Wednesday connection to report ....

... which is why I still feel compelled to include Livingston's weekly progress even though Jack Stobbs no longer seems to be part of it

Livingston  0-0  Hearts         (att:  3,854)

Yep, totally absent from their matchday squad once again  :unsure:

It's tempting to jump to conclusions, especially given his previous experience at Port Vale, which seems almost identical to this one

But maybe there are other circumstances we simply aren't aware of, fitness for one?

Either way, this loan can hardly be called a success

As for the game, Livi played virtually the whole of the 2nd half with 10 men, which perhaps says more about the state Hearts are in tbf

• Thanks 1

27th October

On the face of it, two mid-table clashes in 2.Bundesliga involving our boys ...

VfL Osnabruck  0-0  Greuther Furth        (att:  13,386)

... although VfL need to remember how to win games and quickly, or else they'll find themselves in a relegation scrap

Joost van Aken played his usual role on the left side of a back three and, like last time, got subbed off after about 70mins

He also picked up a yellow card

The point leaves his side six games without a win and just 3pts above the drop zone

Heidenheim  1-0  St Pauli         (att:  13,500)

Matt Penney was recalled for this one and appeared to play the whole game at LB

A long journey for this game - about 800 mile round trip from Hamburg - and perhaps it was a factor

Despite edging all the match stats St Pauli suffered another defeat that leaves them just one point above JvA's team

So the same concerns would seem to apply  :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

So who're this lot then?

No.3   FC  Heidenheim  1846

Heidenheim an der Brenz looks fantastic - a small picturesque town in Southern Germany close to the border with Bavaria

Although the club reckon to trace their roots back all those years it has nothing much to do with football

A lot of these German clubs seem to have complex histories but the current set-up at Heidenheim has only existed for about 12 years

They won the 3.Liga title in 2014 and their promotion to 2.Bundesliga is the highest they've ever managed in all their previous guises

Still, not bad for a town with a population of around 50k and a stadium that holds around 15k - and regularly does

Beating St Pauli today moves them up to 5th in the table

• Thanks 2