Michael Hector.

I realise i'm swimming against the tide here, but surely I can't be only one who doesn't fully get this Hector love-in, and the clamour to sign him!!??. He's decent enough, but he's hardly a budget Baresi!!!. We've got Lees, Borner & v Aken as CB's, plus Hutch' &  Iorfa can fill in there if needed. Yet we've only really got Fox as a LB, and with all due respect, he's not much good. So with a very tight budget would funds be better served going on areas we desperately need to strengthen in, rather than ones we not too bad in!???

1 minute ago, tommycockles said:

I realise i'm swimming against the tide here, but surely I can't be only one who doesn't fully get this Hector love-in, and the clamour to sign him!!??. He's decent enough, but he's hardly a budget Baresi!!!. We've got Lees, Borner & v Aken as CB's, plus Hutch' &  Iorfa can fill in there if needed. Yet we've only really got Fox as a LB, and with all due respect, he's not much good. So with a very tight budget would funds be better served going on areas we desperately need to strengthen in, rather than ones we not too bad in!???

He's quality.

Powerful, can step into midfield with ease. Takes games by the scruff of the neck and leads by example.

Look at how much Maguire is worth, is he really that much better?

We had to get him. 

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

He's quality.

Powerful, can step into midfield with ease. Takes games by the scruff of the neck and leads by example.

We had to get him. 

I don't disagree with the idea of signing him. But to be fair, he maybe decent at championship level, but he's 27 and had 15+ loans in his career and NO prem appearance. There's a reason for that, this is his level. He's got plenty of mistakes in him, for all the good defending he may do. So the implied hope that 'we had to get him' cos he's a new maguire is a bit bonkers!!!. But as  i say, not upset if we sign him, merely that we've got a limited budget, a number who can play CB, but no decent LB!!!!

1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Do you need a lay down or something? 

About three years ago I was in the minority on here saying Maguire was quality while the majority were calling him Herman and saying they didn't want him. 

On the other hand, now he's worth 80 million it doesn't suddenly make him 16 times the player Hector is. 

Both started at the same level and I don't see a massive difference.

12 minutes ago, Beholder said:

About three years ago I was in the minority on here saying Maguire was quality while the majority were calling him Herman and saying they didn't want him. 

On the other hand, now he's worth 80 million it doesn't suddenly make him 16 times the player Hector is. 

The massive difference might be that Maguire is a premier league title winner, full England international, and now the most expensive CB in europe!!!. In comparison, Hector has 24 caps for Jamaica !!!

Edited by tommycockles

2 minutes ago, tommycockles said:

The massive difference might be that Maguire is a premier league title winner, full England international, and now the most expensive CB in europe!!!. In comparioson, Hector has 24 caps for Jamaica !!!

Maguire isn't a premier league title winner lol

4 minutes ago, tommycockles said:

The massive difference might be that Maguire is a premier league title winner, full England international, and now the most expensive CB in europe!!!. In comparioson, Hector has 24 caps for Jamaica !!!

Who did he win a Prem title with?

And the price is irellevant.

Who would have paid 80 million for Maguire 3 years ago?

I think Hull paid a similar amount as what we are paying for Hector.

Edited by Beholder

3 minutes ago, Castleford Owl said:

Maguire isn't a premier league title winner lol

2 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Who did he win a Prem title with?

And the price is irellevant.

Who would have paid 80 million for Maguire 3 years ago?

No my mistake, after leicester had won it!!!!. How is price irrelevant though???, you suggesting we had to sign Hector cos look how much maguire has just gone for!!, the whole point being the sale price!??

1 minute ago, tommycockles said:

No my mistake, after leicester had won it!!!!. How is price irrelevant though???, you suggesting we had to sign Hector cos look how much maguire has just gone for!!, the whole point being the sale price!??

I'm saying the price changes (and wildly so in this market) 

The quality of the player is more constant. 

Maguire was the same player when he went to Hull and was worth only a few million. 

Which means Hector is a great investment, because he isn't that different. 

29 minutes ago, Beholder said:

He's quality.

We had to get him. 

Totally agree.

He is quality and to get better you'd be paying premier league prices.

He does make mistakes but at this level he's got to be up there and worth the money.

9 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I'm saying the price changes (and wildly so in this market) 

The quality of the player is more constant. 

Maguire was the same player when he went to Hull and was worth only a few million. 

Which means Hector is a great investment, because he isn't that different. 

But Hector is already a year older than Maguire and has yet to play a single Premier league game!!, . 'The quality of the player is more constant', yep, fair do's, Hector has constantly played at champ level, Maguire at prem level!!!. So i'm not sure how the two can be compared!!!!??.  While Maguire was at Hull, Dawson & Davies won player of year, suggesting they were better than Maguire, following your argument does that mean 80+ mill' bids are likely for them???

Like I say, im not disappointed at the idea of signing Hector, he's is decent at this level, and will improve the squad. Merely asking if spaffing most of Joao money on a CB is the best idea, when LB, in my opinion, is a far greater area of concern!!

Edited by tommycockles

3 minutes ago, tommycockles said:

But Hector is already a year older than Maguire and has yet to play a single Premier league game!!, . 'The quality of the player is more constant', yep, fair do's, Hector has constantly played at champ level, Maguire at prem level!!!. So i'm not sure how the two can be compared!!!!??.  While Maguire was at Hull, Dawson & Davies won player of year, suggesting they were better than Maguire, following your argument does that mean 80+ mill' bids are likely for them???

Fair argument.

But let's wait and see. 

Hector never worked out at Hull which makes it look like he's inconsistent. That could just be down to the situation at Hull at the time 

The Hector I watched isn't inconsistent. He's awesome . 

Edited by Beholder
  • Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat
31 minutes ago, Beholder said:

You are definitely right about there being similarities especially on the ball. Thought this myself

if hector does well for us( which he is well capable of doing) then 5 million could be a  bargain coz he could double his value in a years time the way the transfer market is going …...if the total outlay of our summer rebuild is only 5 million and we have recouped 7 million for joao, 4 million for the 3 steves  and possibly a decent sum if we can off load Rhodes then I think that's decent business .