Matt Penney

Feel like what has happened with him has been very confusing. Got his chance at left back, took it and was brilliant. Then got moved forward to left wing where he was not very good at all. Then disappeared injured for the rest of the season. 

Now he seems to keep being used at left Midfield again, if what I am assuming from the line ups is correct? 

I think he is a better option than fox at left back and I really hope, if he is playing, it is there and not further forward. 

• Thanks 1

Looked poor against the Germans today. Not trying to be harsh, I know he hasn't been in and around the 1st team for a while but Penney, Baker and Fox were very poor, McEachran did ok but we had no width and no good delivery, we need to hope and pray Harris and Odubajo stay fit this season! 

24 minutes ago, jrh said:

Feel like what has happened with him has been very confusing. Got his chance at left back, took it and was brilliant. Then got moved forward to left wing where he was not very good at all. Then disappeared injured for the rest of the season. 

Now he seems to keep being used at left Midfield again, if what I am assuming from the line ups is correct? 

I think he is a better option than fox at left back and I really hope, if he is playing, it is there and not further forward. 

he wasn't brilliant at left back though was he , going forward he was  very good but defensively he was all over the shop and went missing for 2 or 3 goals which is probably the reason they moved him into midfield .

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GY-owl.4 said:

Already proved last season that he is well capable so thats wrong!

Had about 2 decent games after that he was rubbish

Just now, dan1980 said:

Had about 2 decent games after that he was rubbish

As other posters have said, he became rubbish once he moved upfield.

While a loan may be a decent idea to improve him, id rather he improves while with us cos hes miles better than fox already.

Yes he got caught out at times. But as a young lad under jos i can forgive him for that. 

2 minutes ago, GY-owl.4 said:

As other posters have said, he became rubbish once he moved upfield.

While a loan may be a decent idea to improve him, id rather he improves while with us cos hes miles better than fox already.

Yes he got caught out at times. But as a young lad under jos i can forgive him for that. 

Like i said my opinion is he nowhere near good enough hope i proved wrong .

3 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

Basically our left back position is fkd unless odobeju stays fit and can play both sides

Fox is fkn useless liability

Palmer looked decent at left back

36 minutes ago, dan1980 said:

Not slating the kid but he not good enough for the 1st team nowhere near

Disagree he looked the real deal on occasions last season, needs a good run, though a season loan somewhere would benefit him (and us long term).

To be fair I don't think he really fits the way we play he's not an orthodox fullback, nor is he a rampaging winger. 

His best role is probably as a natural wingback. 

He may with development and progression become one or the other, but at the moment that's the role he's probably best suited to. 

Needs to nail down a position at his age, you don't want to be the utility man.

Last session at left back he was quality, blocked crosses got up the wing well. Then he started getting messed with a pushed higher up which ment the opposition was on his back pressureing him and he didn't handle that well.