Danny Cowley

Guest LondonOwl313
56 minutes ago, trev said:

I see your point, but I just think they have that man management and motivational magic touch that players respond to.

If a player has an arrogance and attitude that means they won't play for a manager who hasn't played top flight football, maybe they are the type of players we don't need or want?

It might work or it might not, but there is a tendency amongst players to respect people who've achieved things in the game more. Not sure that would be unique to us.

One of the good things about the Bruce appointment was that he has won promotion from this division 4 times, played at the highest level including captaining the biggest club and has good contacts within the game through being involved playing and managing in the top 2 divisions for the best part of 40 years.

We're going to lose all of that if he goes. Would rather us go for a name that attracts players to come. No more obscure foreign coaches or ones that are a bit of a punt

17 minutes ago, vulva said:

Top 3 in the Championship last season had 2 years worth of managerial experience at this level between them. Add into the mix Lampard, and the trend is changing.

Tired of the conveyor belt of failed managers. Hughton is 60 FFS. Cowley would be a really smart appointment. 

The common denominator was experience either at Chairman level or Managerial level.

Inexperience with both at the same time having just cashed in the last substantive asset we have is too bigger a risk IMO...

The biggest success of Bruce's likely short tenure has been his experience in all football matters.

Guest LondonOwl313
37 minutes ago, vulva said:

Top 3 in the Championship last season had 2 years worth of managerial experience at this level between them. Add into the mix Lampard, and the trend is changing.

Tired of the conveyor belt of failed managers. Hughton is 60 FFS. Cowley would be a really smart appointment. 

That's being a bit selective though, Bielsa has managed teams at world cups and teams in the champions league at the top level in European countries, so think that outweighs the fact he had no championship experience. Wilder earned the right to manage at this level by bringing the pigs up from League 1, and it's probably easier to do it that way if you've never been at this level before than it would be if you're plucked out of obscurity by a top championship team where you're expected to hit the ground running. There's nothing on Farke's CV prior to Norwich that looks any different to Jos' CV but he was a total disaster, so that was a lucky gamble that payed off for them. Lampard played at the very highest level for nearly 20 years.

We don't need to go for the same old names but Cowley has nothing on his CV apart from playing for Romfrod, Boreham Wood and Concord Rangers, then impressively managing some non-league teams and getting Lincoln back to back promotions. Would rather us go down the route of appointing someone who is young and hungry but was a top player. There must be plenty of ex-Champions League players who are looking to get into management. Derby just appointed Phillip Cocu to replace Lampard so it's not unrealistic  

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

That's being a bit selective though, Bielsa has managed teams at world cups and teams in the champions league at the top level in European countries, so think that outweighs the fact he had no championship experience. Wilder earned the right to manage at this level by bringing the pigs up from League 1, and it's probably easier to do it that way if you've never been at this level before than it would be if you're plucked out of obscurity by a top championship team where you're expected to hit the ground running. There's nothing on Farke's CV prior to Norwich that looks any different to Jos' CV but he was a total disaster, so that was a lucky gamble that payed off for them. Lampard played at the very highest level for nearly 20 years.

We don't need to go for the same old names but Cowley has nothing on his CV apart from playing for Romfrod, Boreham Wood and Concord Rangers, then impressively managing some non-league teams and getting Lincoln back to back promotions. Would rather us go down the route of appointing someone who is young and hungry but was a top player. There must be plenty of ex-Champions League players who are looking to get into management. Derby just appointed Phillip Cocu to replace Lampard so it's not unrealistic  

Some good points, and the recently retired player is another route I like. Craig Bellamy, Carrick etc? Problem is, these lads have so much money, they don’t need to take a risk. 

5 minutes ago, vulva said:

Some good points, and the recently retired player is another route I like. Craig Bellamy, Carrick etc? Problem is, these lads have so much money, they don’t need to take a risk. 

Could ya say that about Lampard though 

2 hours ago, 1867Heaven said:

Get what we can for Bruce and go get Cowley.....let him rebuild us properly

I mentioned the Cowley brothers when Dross was sacked. Those two have a massive future in the game . 

the cowley brothers or tisdale are worth a punt on what they have achieved .....harry Catterick and wilko proved that a gamble can come off ......burtenshaw , Williams and countless others showed otherwise .......hows your luck chansiri ?

Also mentioned this a couple of times last week. Progressive appointment, I could only support and applaud. 

I cant bare the thought of appointing one of the usual suspects off the managerial merry go round. 

24 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I’m surprised a Championship club hasn’t taken a punt on the Cowley brothers already. I like them, if we do go for up and coming I would be happy with them here. 

They reportedly rejected an offer from Ipswich, before the Hurst appointment 

9 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Again though both were fairly decent well known players and had both only had success with one team prior to us 

the cowleys have had success from the bottom so far with I think if I’m right three different teams? 

Very similar to wilder and smith. 

Any new manager is a risk , but I would rather take a punt on a upcoming manager who stock is rising and trying to prove a point   

I wouldn't have problem with the cowleys or tisdale but  are they a better bet than the been round the block types like allardyce, , Holloway Pardew , pearson,hughton etc etc .......the gamble though is those ive mentioned have achieved the success we crave the cowleys and tisdale havnt ......it's a tough call for chansiri 

Guest LondonOwl313
58 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

See this for me is a huge problem with football fans, what’s wrong with lower league and non league and maybe even non players working their way up? Does it mean because they didn’t play at the top levels they can’t be successful? Thinking only ex top players can manage is dinosaur talk. 

Quote a few on here slagging potter off too at Brighton, he will move on to much bigger things eventually too 

eddie Howe, Dean Smith, Sean Dyche and wilder all were lower league players and now they have all worked from bottom to the top. 

The cowleys will be one of the next to do it too imo 

Not saying they will or won’t, it’s the risk factor. We’ve basically spent a fortune over the last 4 seasons trying to get promoted and the last 2 have been a total write off mainly because Carlos went stale and we got the injuries, then Jos was a complete waste of a year. If none of this stuff with Bruce had happened, a week ago I was pretty confident we’d be up there again this season, and he might have just got us over the line this time too.

If he does leave, which is looking likely, we can’t afford to let this season be a write off. DC has pumped too much money in and we need promotion to show for it ASAP. I don’t see anything special about Potter yet and if I was a Brighton fan I’d be disappointed to appoint a manager that finished mid table with a newly relegated side that had parachute payments.

All of the other names you mention have done great jobs, but Wilder and Howe got their teams promoted from the lower leagues which gave them the right to manage at this level and they made a success of it. Don’t know how Dyche got the Watford job originally so can’t comment really, and Dean Smith worked up from Walsall to Brentford before Villa.

Maybe this is an arrogant thing to say, but this is Sheffield Wednesday we’re talking about. If a bottom end Championship team took a punt on Cowley and they did a good job, then we could go in for them. But to go from Lincoln to Wednesday directly is a huge step up, and it’s a big risk. We don’t have the luxury of writing a season off if it goes wrong

At least with a big name ex player we’d be able to use their contacts and reputation to attract players

A big name ex-player would be a much bigger risk than hiring a manager with a track record of promotions (albeit at a lower level).

Management is very different to playing and very few big name English players turn out to be good managers.

Guest LondonOwl313
8 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

This is what I mean though, you obviously don’t know how much people like potter are respected in the game, he went and begged for a job pretty much all over Europe, he wasn’t a big name so struggled, he eventually got the job at Östersund in Sweden, a division 4 side!!! Within 5 years they made it to the top division in his 6th year he got them i to the europa league before being picked out by Swansea ( to be fair it should have been a bigger club) Swansea were a mess when he got them but he left them with some great young prospects ( exactly how he worked in Sweden, building the club) most respected people I. The game have tipped him for the very top, but because he isn’t a world class ex footballer he had to work for years to get his chance, just like the cowleys are now.  

So yeah. Once again any manager is a risk, but I would rather take a risk on a hardworking manager who have proved there worth on a continual rising level than some ex player who we don’t know can do the job but just because he was a good player and is well known.

at least that’s my take on it  

Yeah I must admit I don’t know much about what Potter did in Sweden other than knowing he got a team promoted up the ladder. 

I’d just rather we went after those with experience of our league or the one we want to get to. 

So personally would much prefer a Lampard or a Gerrard to a Cowley or a Potter. Tbh whoever we get in, as long as we win games I don’t care either way