Chris Hughton

25 minutes ago, owlse said:

Yea 

Yea the current market can be manipulated at very little cost. 

Agree. He will want someone who can get us promoted ASAP.

plus I think he may well throw whatever money we have got from the   snake to fund it. 

I think last point partially true he will pay good wages the snake getting no more at new job than he was here unless he gets into top half of table. He has indicated looking for someone not currently in work which I personally not happy about as excludes lots of good candidates.

25 minutes ago, Quist said:

I think last point partially true he will pay good wages the snake getting no more at new job than he was here unless he gets into top half of table. He has indicated looking for someone not currently in work which I personally not happy about as excludes lots of good candidates.

chansiri a man of honour. I am ok with that.  

Bronckhorst is a good shout 

I’d worry about the career ambitions of this lad if he came here. We are a skint 2nd division side that’s been out of the top league for 20 years. No way would a manager with this reputation find here, and people need to get real. He doesn’t need to take the gamble. 

We are fishing firmly in the Monk, Rowett, Holloway pot. Failed managers trying to get back on the gravy train. 

5 minutes ago, vulva said:

I’d worry about the career ambitions of this lad if he came here. We are a skint 2nd division side that’s been out of the top league for 20 years. No way would a manager with this reputation find here, and people need to get real. He doesn’t need to take the gamble. 

We are fishing firmly in the Monk, Rowett, Holloway pot. Failed managers trying to get back on the gravy train. 

Skint ? Lets see what happens with Sheffield 2,3,4 and 5 .

i am sure it will all become clear.

32 minutes ago, owlse said:

chansiri a man of honour. I am ok with that.  

Bronckhorst is a good shout 

That is true but does not mean you can not approach clubs in dignified way for manager. You would never buy any player from another club if only approaching those out of contract. Just because Newcastle behaved in dishonourable way does not mean every approach has to be conducted in such a nasty manner. If the club says no you walk away.

Chris Hughton has always in the past behaved with integrity in his dealings.

This would rightly be important for the Chairman particularly after events of the last ten days.

I take the pioint that we have been out of the Premier League for nearly 20 years but we still have really good potential, in my view.

14 hours ago, OWO said:

If Hughton is waiting for a club from the Prem coming for him, I think he'll be disappointed 

Maybe but I can see him waiting until about Xmas and seeing if a Premier League club comes by then and if not will settle for a top half Championship club.
Houghton would be my first choice but he would probably turn us down.

On 15/07/2019 at 18:29, @owlstalk said:

Chris Hughton snubs becoming next Sheffield Wednesday boss

Chris Hughton has turned down the chance to become the next Sheffield Wednesday boss.

Former Brighton boss Hughton is the odds-on favourite with the bookies to take over from Steve Bruce who is heading to Newcastle.

But Mirror Sport can reveal Hughton has already turned down an approach and is not in the running, believing it was not the right job or the right time.

An 'old' story but all the same

I can accept timing might be an issue, but if managing Wednesday is not the right job then he's not the right fkn candidate

I'd hate to think our next boss is doing us a favour  :dry:

• Haha 1

On 10/07/2019 at 19:46, Mr Hooper said:

No thank you.

Boring, negative tactics, can't get the best out of technically gifted players.

Remind you of anyone? He just wouldn't suit what we're trying to do right now. 

Record aside, avoid him.

Record aside!!! I know we all have very different personal opinions, but this is a managerial/head coach appointment and really as long as Chansiri feels he can trust him (preferably for at least one whole season) we have to try to keep our personal opinions aside, which just leaves the potential manager's CV's. What else can we judge a manager on on Owlstalk? His looks, his dress sense, whether or not he has a nice moustache or well kept beard? These are all ok for a laugh, but mate, haircuts etc aside, it is generally accepted that any sensible chairman should look first at what he wants his manager to achieve and then find one that he is pretty sure can achieve it. It helps quite a lot if the manager he is after actually has some experience of winning promotion to the prem, because it shows that the chosen one can do it and either knows the championship well enough to get to the top, or knows how to get the very best from his players. Which kind of involves looking at the manager's/head coach's record as a manager/head coach.

How can you ignore a record like this;-

He has only manged three Championship teams, taking two up automatically and another to the playoffs, before being poached by Norwich (who were hanging on to being a prem club). In his first managerial role he took on a Newcastle team that was in freefall and took them up, turning a young unknown, under used Andy Carroll into a £35M (in 2011) premiership striker, playing a style of football that won him several manager of the month awards and Carroll 19 goals in his first proper run in the team. He took them up winning 30, drawing 12 and losing just 4. According to Newcastle, Hughton's league start to his managerial career was the best in Newcastle's history. Before he was sacked, against a tide of protests from ex players, the media and supporters, he had guided Newcastle to their first win over Arsenal for 5 years and was already showing that he was learning quickly how to get his team to cope in the prem. He took Brighton up automatically with 28 wins, 9 draws and 9 losses with a goal difference of +34. The only other club he has managed was Norwich in the prem, who were struggling at the time, but he kept them up and he got them up to 11th spot, but unfortunately took them down the season after. So not the best with a low spending prem club, but a definite front-runner for a championship post I would have thought, based on his football managing abilities.

He is definitely my number one choice, because he gets the best out of the players and plays to his players strengths. On a none footballing side, he seems to be a straight talking nice bloke, who knows how to get things done and conducts himself in a dignified way while others around him are losing their heads. No wonder the Newcastle fans loved him so much looking at what they (may) have now! If he genuinely does not want to come to us for whatever reason, then persuading him to come will not work and if given another opportunity in the prem, or whatever he really wants to do, he may do a Bruce, or an Atkinson and jump ship. If DC can persuade him however, then as long as the compensation clause is watertight, I would definitely take Chris Hughton over any of the other candidates, even if they got together and decided to work as a collective.

My personal take based also on the CV's of the bookies favourites, availability, current form and DC's possible criteria is that I and am dead against Zola & Olly and although I once thought Monk was OK, I really hope that his recent shenanigans rule him out too. Of the rest of the usual suspects, if DC is after UK football experience to help him as well as coach the team, he could consider Moyes, Big Sam, or Pearson, if he is after an outside bet he might fancy Bronckhorst, Jol or Stendel, but if he wants Championship Promotion then the only other likely candidates for me would be Rowett or Karanka and there are question marks next to Karanka's nerve and staying power.

It is really tough for DC especially if wormtongue Paixao is still whispering names from his own manager menu in his ear.

36 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Record aside!!! I know we all have very different personal opinions, but this is a managerial/head coach appointment and really as long as Chansiri feels he can trust him (preferably for at least one whole season) we have to try to keep our personal opinions aside, which just leaves the potential manager's CV's. What else can we judge a manager on on Owlstalk? His looks, his dress sense, whether or not he has a nice moustache or well kept beard? These are all ok for a laugh, but mate, haircuts etc aside, it is generally accepted that any sensible chairman should look first at what he wants his manager to achieve and then find one that he is pretty sure can achieve it. It helps quite a lot if the manager he is after actually has some experience of winning promotion to the prem, because it shows that the chosen one can do it and either knows the championship well enough to get to the top, or knows how to get the very best from his players. Which kind of involves looking at the manager's/head coach's record as a manager/head coach.

How can you ignore a record like this;-

He has only manged three Championship teams, taking two up automatically and another to the playoffs, before being poached by Norwich (who were hanging on to being a prem club). In his first managerial role he took on a Newcastle team that was in freefall and took them up, turning a young unknown, under used Andy Carroll into a £35M (in 2011) premiership striker, playing a style of football that won him several manager of the month awards and Carroll 19 goals in his first proper run in the team. He took them up winning 30, drawing 12 and losing just 4. According to Newcastle, Hughton's league start to his managerial career was the best in Newcastle's history. Before he was sacked, against a tide of protests from ex players, the media and supporters, he had guided Newcastle to their first win over Arsenal for 5 years and was already showing that he was learning quickly how to get his team to cope in the prem. He took Brighton up automatically with 28 wins, 9 draws and 9 losses with a goal difference of +34. The only other club he has managed was Norwich in the prem, who were struggling at the time, but he kept them up and he got them up to 11th spot, but unfortunately took them down the season after. So not the best with a low spending prem club, but a definite front-runner for a championship post I would have thought, based on his football managing abilities.

He is definitely my number one choice, because he gets the best out of the players and plays to his players strengths. On a none footballing side, he seems to be a straight talking nice bloke, who knows how to get things done and conducts himself in a dignified way while others around him are losing their heads. No wonder the Newcastle fans loved him so much looking at what they (may) have now! If he genuinely does not want to come to us for whatever reason, then persuading him to come will not work and if given another opportunity in the prem, or whatever he really wants to do, he may do a Bruce, or an Atkinson and jump ship. If DC can persuade him however, then as long as the compensation clause is watertight, I would definitely take Chris Hughton over any of the other candidates, even if they got together and decided to work as a collective.

My personal take based also on the CV's of the bookies favourites, availability, current form and DC's possible criteria is that I and am dead against Zola & Olly and although I once thought Monk was OK, I really hope that his recent shenanigans rule him out too. Of the rest of the usual suspects, if DC is after UK football experience to help him as well as coach the team, he could consider Moyes, Big Sam, or Pearson, if he is after an outside bet he might fancy Bronckhorst, Jol or Stendel, but if he wants Championship Promotion then the only other likely candidates for me would be Rowett or Karanka and there are question marks next to Karanka's nerve and staying power.

It is really tough for DC especially if wormtongue Paixao is still whispering names from his own manager menu in his ear.

Okay, so you've looked too much into that little quote of mine.

His Championship record is okay yes. (But so is Tony Pullis' - im guessing you don't want him)

His last season in football was terrible (with Brighton) negative tactics, wasted money and somehow turned the top scorer in Holland into a flop.

I stick my opinion, i don't want him. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr Hooper said:

Okay, so you've looked too much into that little quote of mine.

His Championship record is okay yes. (But so is Tony Pullis' - im guessing you don't want him)

His last season in football was terrible (with Brighton) negative tactics, wasted money and somehow turned the top scorer in Holland into a flop.

I stick my opinion, i don't want him. 

Sorry Hoops, the whole point is that his record is not just OK, it is exceptional and a good bet for getting us promoted this year, before the proverbial brown stuff hits the fan next season, when we cannot sell the ground again to balance the books. Out of the three Championship clubs he has managed he has either; won promotion in one season, automatically with two of them or got to the playoffs with the third. Your example of Pullis does not compare. He has done well in the lower divisions, struggled in the prem and has only taken one team from the Championship up to the prem and his football style has got more and more dour over the years. Now I would not mind that for one season and I admit that Hughton is no shining light in the prem either, but Brighton and Newcastle both played great, bright, attacking football to get promoted under Chris Hughton and Brighton's football has only suffered when they were struggling in the premiership last season, which happens to at least half the teams in the prem. Wednesday were one of the most boring teams to watch in the prem for the last few seasons seasons that we were up there and there were far more boring teams to watch than Brighton last season, some of whom still ended up getting relegated. We need somebody to get us up and then if they don't look capable of keeping us up we will need a manager to establish us in the division, if possible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Sorry Hoops, the whole point is that his record is not just OK, it is exceptional and a good bet for getting us promoted this year, before the proverbial brown stuff hits the fan next season, when we cannot sell the ground again to balance the books. Out of the three Championship clubs he has managed he has either; won promotion in one season, automatically with two of them or got to the playoffs with the third. Your example of Pullis does not compare. He has done well in the lower divisions, struggled in the prem and has only taken one team from the Championship up to the prem and his football style has got more and more dour over the years. Now I would not mind that for one season and I admit that Hughton is no shining light in the prem either, but Brighton and Newcastle both played great, bright, attacking football to get promoted under Chris Hughton and Brighton's football has only suffered when they were struggling in the premiership last season, which happens to at least half the teams in the prem. Wednesday were one of the most boring teams to watch in the prem for the last few seasons seasons that we were up there and there were far more boring teams to watch than Brighton last season, some of whom still ended up getting relegated. We need somebody to get us up and then if they don't look capable of keeping us up we will need a manager to establish us in the division, if possible.

Shame he's already said he doesn't fancy the job then.

Yes, according to a Mirror he has and I would not bet too heavily on everything that they say, but if true there is no need to make things up about him are there? If you don't want him just say you don't want him, don't try to hide behind false facts and statistics, the real ones support the case for him being ideally suited for the job. When he took Brighton up automatically they only lost two home games all season and one of them was to the eventual champions of the division who were odds on favourites for promotion that year and pipped them by one point.

For me, if factual.

Chris Hughton turning the job down, is a bigger blow than Steve Bruce leaving. 

Because Bruce left for a very specific reason; Whereas Hughton has highlighted that we aren't all that attractive to even accept a huge wage. Doubts creep in with knock backs.

We are probably Hector, a CM and another winger away from contending but they have to be quality. (Like the 2 wolves wingers who've just joined the championship)