Friendlys

12 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Have others announced theirs yet? Genuine question.

I think a lot have but lets say we are playing two friendlies in Portugal with the training camp over there, the fans have probably now 5 weeks to organise flights, travel and accommodation not to mention try and buy a ticket for the games.

For me it not acceptable to leave everything to the last minute the way we do.

Its like waiting until a month before the season starts to start selling season tickets. This would never happen so why are the friendlies and preseasons appeared to be run so badly every single season. Our team has been under cook for 3 of the last 4 season because of poor pre-seasons. We all remember how bad we were against Preston or the first season of Carlos taking 10 games to get going, that probably cost us automatic that season.

This is probably the reason why when we celebrated the 150th year we didn't get any marque games.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I think a lot have but lets say we are playing two friendlies in Portugal with the training camp over there, the fans have probably now 5 weeks to organise flights, travel and accommodation not to mention try and buy a ticket for the games.

For me it not acceptable to leave everything to the last minute the way we do.

Its like waiting until a month before the season starts to start selling season tickets. This would never happen so why are the friendlies and preseasons appeared to be run so badly every single season. Our team has been under cook for 3 of the last 4 season because of poor pre-seasons. We all remember how bad we were against Preston or the first season of Carlos taking 10 games to get going, that probably cost us automatic that season.

This is probably the reason why when we celebrated the 150th year we didn't get any marque games.

I get as frustrated as anyone with our (lack of) organisation. In this instance though I am holding back on the criticism. I genuinely think Portugal is a training camp and nothing more.

7 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I get as frustrated as anyone with our (lack of) organisation. In this instance though I am holding back on the criticism. I genuinely think Portugal is a training camp and nothing more.

Those at S2 have announced they are also going to Portugal but will be playing two soon to be announced friendlies (maybe one is us),

They also have arrange the preseason friendlies but not arranged the last friendly before the season kicks off due to their promotion this fixture could change.

Imagine if we did play Sheff Utd at a neutral venue and very few Owls get to go because of the short notice.

• Haha 2

Like posted above I had hoped we had learnt the lesson and were now being run professionally but alas the Friendlies issues is the same as kit and memberships 

A shambles 

I forgive the other mistakes as does not impact on the pitch but when we cant sort friendlies and therefore start the season badly no excuse.

I take it we were playing Bolton and Bury and other clubs going into administration?

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

F00k me this is revisionist history on steroids. I'm not arguing we didn't start slowly that season, but costing us automatic? Give over...

We were 15 points (plus goal difference) off automatic that season. We also coincidentally got 15 points in our first 10 games. So the statement "our poor start cost us promotion" is exactly the same as saying "Because we didn't win our first 10 games we didn't get promoted". You don't want much do you...

The start we had obviously didnt help, but it was the whole season that meant we didn't get automatic, not just a "meh" start.

On 31/05/2019 at 18:33, Wiggo said:

I heard we are playing Hannover 96. 

There was a rumour about two games in Germany . How goods your source Wiggo, and any ideas of when. Wouldn’t mind a few days in Germany. 

On 31/05/2019 at 13:26, room0035 said:

I would have hoped preseason and the friendlies would have already been arranged.

I keep getting told the club is run better but we keep leaving everything to the last minute every season. 

We should be discussing with other club 4-6 months in advance to get friendlies arranged not leaving it till May/June.

How many other side's arramge their preseason friendlies 6 months in advance?

On 31/05/2019 at 14:16, room0035 said:

Those at S2 have announced they are also going to Portugal but will be playing two soon to be announced friendlies (maybe one is us),

They also have arrange the preseason friendlies but not arranged the last friendly before the season kicks off due to their promotion this fixture could change.

Imagine if we did play Sheff Utd at a neutral venue and very few Owls get to go because of the short notice.

You mean they haven't arranged them 6 months ago? 

We won't be playing United in Portugal. So there's no need to panic.