Bruce says 5/ 6 new signings at least

Just now, gurujuan said:

Although I agree it’s important that we have a solid spine, and re-signing Hector would go a long way to achieving that, my worry would be lack of goals. Assuming we did manage to sign Hector, Aarons and Lazaar, as many have suggested, we could line up in Bruce’s favoured 4-2-3-1 formation, something like this.

Westwood

Palmer/Iorfa

Lees

Hector

Lazaar

Hutchinson

Lee

Reach

Bannan

Aarons

Fletcher

That team might be hard to beat, and it would be good to see Bannan playing further forward, but seriously, where would the goals come from?

Dont see Bannan as a number 10. I see him playing in a conventional midfield 3 on the left side of midfield ahead of a defensive midfielder, ie, Hutchinson. You will get the best out of him there, especially if he had a runner playing in midfield and you had pace and movement ahead of him.

I think Bruce would like to bring in a top, pacy and mobile striker but this will be dependant offloading a raft of strikers with a minimum of Rhodes, Winnall and either Dave or Joao going. 

I hope Bruce has a plan with how we are going to play next season and we have a targeted recruitment on the back of it. 

Just now, DELUDED OWL said:

You're assuming that no new players brought in would/will be forwards.

Yes, I was just going on what people have suggested we do. Personally, I think we will see new attacking players arriving, but without leaving a few favourites out, where do they play. From that envisaged set up, the obvious candidates to drop out would be Bannan and Fletcher For all their strengths, I can see those two giving us selection headaches in that system

3 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Dont see Bannan as a number 10. I see him playing in a conventional midfield 3 on the left side of midfield ahead of a defensive midfielder, ie, Hutchinson. You will get the best out of him there, especially if he had a runner playing in midfield and you had pace and movement ahead of him.

I think Bruce would like to bring in a top, pacy and mobile striker but this will be dependant offloading a raft of strikers with a minimum of Rhodes, Winnall and either Dave or Joao going. 

I hope Bruce has a plan with how we are going to play next season and we have a targeted recruitment on the back of it. 

I wouldn’t be unhappy with that, so are you suggesting a 4-3-3, instead of the 4-2-3-1?

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I wouldn’t be unhappy with that, so are you suggesting a 4-3-3, instead of the 4-2-3-1?

Yes a variation of 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1. If Forestieri stays, I’d like to see him on the left of a front 3, ideally. 

22 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Although I agree it’s important that we have a solid spine, and re-signing Hector would go a long way to achieving that, my worry would be lack of goals. Assuming we did manage to sign Hector, Aarons and Lazaar, as many have suggested, we could line up in Bruce’s favoured 4-2-3-1 formation, something like this.

Westwood

Palmer/Iorfa

Lees

Hector

Lazaar

Hutchinson

Lee

Reach

Bannan

Aarons

Fletcher

That team might be hard to beat, and it would be good to see Bannan playing further forward, but seriously, where would the goals come from?

Hutchinson  am afraid does not stay fit enough ,Lets look to the future ,I like the man ,But too injury prone.

9 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Hutchinson  am afraid does not stay fit enough ,Lets look to the future ,I like the man ,But too injury prone.

Yes, if we want to play a midfield enforcer, we’ll need to bring another one in. I liked the idea of Hector in that role, but that would require bringing in another centre back as well.

34 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Westwood

Palmer/Iorfa

Lees

Hector

Lazaar

Hutchinson

Lee

Reach

Bannan

Aarons

Fletcher

We need better than that. Hutchinson has reminded us again we cannot rely on him to play a full part in any season. There are also no goals in that team. Don’t think either of the Newcastle players will be here next year, and we can do better anyway. 

1 minute ago, Pale Rider said:

We need better than that. Hutchinson has reminded us again we cannot rely on him to play a full part in any season. There are also no goals in that team. Don’t think either of the Newcastle players will be here next year, and we can do better anyway. 

Agreed, from that line up, we can upgrade on Lazaar, Hutchinson, Aarons and Fletcher for a start

23 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Hooper is superb, but has to go. No way can he be an integral part of a promotion season.

Westwood

Iorfa Lees Hector Palmer

New Bannan New Reach

Fletcher New

Yet you play Palmer at LB :wacko:

Palmer should be before Iorfa for RB. Iorfa not impressed at all on the ball

As for the OP, how can LB be a bonus? Fox looked really poor again yesterday despite previous promising performances, and he is the only option we have there

Edited by smhouston

23 hours ago, Daz said:

However he wheels and deals we really need an injection of pace. Was really impressed with Eze for QPR today.. we need to find someone like him.

I’ve seen Eze on numerous occasions this season and although talented is just as inconsistent as our current crop 

We need someone who can perform on a weekly basis 

I can see Bruce trying to offload 2/3 strikers I think winnal will go we was willing to loan him out but he wanted to stay in January I think he will be told he can look for a new club either on loan or sold I can’t see him here next year 

then I see and I suppose it depends on offers at least another one going 

rhodes Fletcher forestieri Joao and nuihiu 

my guess is both rhodes and Joao might end up else where again either on loan or sold I’d we get a buyer then I can see this really being shuck up with one or two strikers I think Bruce will go with 4/5 strikers depending on formation 

my guess is is we will see pace added down both sides two wingers and at least a full back then possibly a forward depending on what our business we do 

I think we’re going to have serious pace in our ranks next year 

19 hours ago, fpowl said:

I think without doubt he will look at two wide men 

we really struggled out wide this season and he’s released two in matias and boyd plus Aarons has gone back that only leaves our options being 

reach, Joao, forestieri and penny which is all very makeshift 

being that Bruce wants pace out wide and younger legs I think we will look at adding at least two out wide and another full back 

what do you do with reach, bannan, and hutch if you play 2 wide men?

1 hour ago, dorian gray said:

what do you do with reach, bannan, and hutch if you play 2 wide men?

Bannan and hutchinson are center midfielders and I wouldn’t be suggesting we play without a Cm I’d also recommended going into the season with a squad and there for have more than two wide men just in case we have injuries, suspensions, or we might want to bring a sub on 

2 hours ago, fpowl said:

Bannan and hutchinson are center midfielders and I wouldn’t be suggesting we play without a Cm I’d also recommended going into the season with a squad and there for have more than two wide men just in case we have injuries, suspensions, or we might want to bring a sub on 

IF reach stays? does he play?, are you envisaging a 5 man m/f?

On 05/05/2019 at 16:46, Bukta said:

How on earth have we managed to cook the P&S books? Genuine question.

Just shaved probably 250k per week off the wage bill (£13m a year) - if we can sell two more of our strikers and loan out the likes of Fox/Van Aken then we can certainly replace these with 5-6 singings and still be spending less that at the start of 18/19.  I'd imagine this had a lot to do with it. 

6 hours ago, dorian gray said:

IF reach stays? does he play?, are you envisaging a 5 man m/f?

I think over the season we will play a 5 man or a 4 man either way we need a minimum of at least three wide men for a season. Regardless of if reach stays or not we currently only have reach and possibly forestieri to take those positions then we are really clutching at straws thinking penny and Joao will do the job we need to be signing 2 wide men. A full championship season we need those options. I’ll stand hanging if Bruce  doesn’t bring in two with pace. Like I say matias and boyd have both been released and Aarons have gone back and thats an area we struggled with. It’s critical that we get the right players in in these positions and Bruce as allowed that by releasing two 

Edited by fpowl

1 minute ago, fpowl said:

I think over the season we will play a 5 man or a 4 man either way we need a minimum of at least three wide men for a season. Regardless of if reach stays or not we currently only have reach and possibly forestieri to take those positions then we are really clutching at straws thinking penny and Joao will do the job we need to be signing 2 wide men. A full championship season we need those options. I’ll stand hanging if Brice doesn’t bring on two with pace. Like I say matias and boyd have both been released and Aarons have gone back and that an area we struggled with. It’s critical that we get the right players in in these positions and Bruce as allowed that by releasing two 

I think IF money was no object, he'd let ff go and want someone 100% committed, reach? he may go anyway, I guess it depends upon what were offered?, and how much we'll save on his wage?

I think squad wise he'll have a couple of wide men, but i'm not sure he'll bring 2 in and keep ff and reach.

at present it's looking like there'll not be a small fortune to spend, unless reach, ff, or both go, IF they both go then we still need a c/b, l/f/b, defensive m/f, and one hell of a 'big numbers' goal scorer.

although loans will cover some of the needs, I doubt they'll cover the striker, time will tell, the more he ships out (hopefully) better coming in.

Bruce will want to go into next season with wide options and have pace he has reach, forestieri can play there but I suspect when forestieri will play it will be off the striker or a free role we saw him so this a few times this year especially when hooper wasn’t playing.

we know Bruce wants pace in the team and younger legs I fully expect him to add two players already made for the wife positions with high energy and pace regardless of if he seek either forestieri or reach. He will want to kick off the season with options and an attacking threat. And he will want to play each game with two wide players and one on the bench.

i think when Bruce said 5/6 players at least that’s with our current squad. I’m sure if he gets a decent price for reach or forestieri he will bring in another wide man making it 3 in. 

4 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Bruce will want to go into next season with wide options and have pace he has reach, forestieri can play there but I suspect when forestieri will play it will be off the striker or a free role we saw him so this a few times this year especially when hooper wasn’t playing.

we know Bruce wants pace in the team and younger legs I fully expect him to add two players already made for the wife positions with high energy and pace regardless of if he seek either forestieri or reach. He will want to kick off the season with options and an attacking threat. And he will want to play each game with two wide players and one on the bench.

i think when Bruce said 5/6 players at least that’s with our current squad. I’m sure if he gets a decent price for reach or forestieri he will bring in another wide man making it 3 in. 

Steve Bruce also said he doesn’t expect to get 5-6 in this summer , it will take longer .