Bruce says 5/ 6 new signings at least

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Wasn’t really meant to be harsh, but I suppose it shows, that outside factors can often determine whether a signing is judged a success or not Looked at in the cold light of day, you wouldn’t say the signings of Aarons and Lazaar were a success, would you.

No ……………….but that is more to do with them swiftly catching the Hillsborough curse ha ha...…………….in terms of quality I think we saw enough from both of them to see that they were good players (better than the Pessy,s Van Akens, Butterfields etc) were it not for the sodding injuries.

36 minutes ago, EcclesallOwl said:

Newcastle fans seem to rate him 

Not the ones I work with. They think he’s ok and there’s the nostalgia about the goal at Brighton. Don’t get me wrong we could do worse But there was similar feeling from Burnley fans before Boyd came here too. 

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Wasn’t really meant to be harsh, but I suppose it shows, that outside factors can often determine whether a signing is judged a success or not Looked at in the cold light of day, you wouldn’t say the signings of Aarons and Lazaar were a success, would you.

Ultimately the answer is no because of their injuries. On the flip side when they are on the pitch (I include Iorfa in this) we look a much better balanced side. 

Lazaar - looks far better technically than owt we’ve got at fullback - he just looks like a proper player. 

Iorfa - what he lacks technically he more than makes up for imo as he gives us the physical side and pure pace, and maybe surprisingly  pops up with the odd goal. 

Aarons - Again gives us that pace out wide that we lack and a bit of trickery.

It looks to me like Bruce instantly identified our weaknesses and addressed them with those three signings...tbf most Wednesdayites could have told you what and where we were lacking. Just a shame a two of the three succumbed to the Wednesday injury plague as ultimately when fit they did (imo) significantly improve us.

Would I re-sign the two? Probably not, just because of the injuries. Whatever happens I reckon Bruce knows exactly what we need. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Daz said:

However he wheels and deals we really need an injection of pace. Was really impressed with Eze for QPR today.. we need to find someone like him.

I've never even heard of him or seen him before, but he was class. Best player on the pitch today. 

There must be players in the EFL or the continent that are rangy and get box to box. We need to sign one with their best years ahead of them rather than behind them.

Matt Crooks is an example at Rotherham. They only signed him in January but he’s scored a few goals from defensive mid.

3 hours ago, dorian gray said:

not so sure we'll be looking for 2 wingers, figure bruce will want to be tight in the middle.

CB

LB

CM anchor to act as hutch replacement when hutch is not available.

CM playmaker to replace bannan, when bannan is not available.

Winger, fast and skilful.

Striker, at least one, with pace, movement, and goals in him (vardyesque). hopefully 2, the second being a more mobile version of fletcher when he's out.

I think without doubt he will look at two wide men 

we really struggled out wide this season and he’s released two in matias and boyd plus Aarons has gone back that only leaves our options being 

reach, Joao, forestieri and penny which is all very makeshift 

being that Bruce wants pace out wide and younger legs I think we will look at adding at least two out wide and another full back 

1 hour ago, fpowl said:

I think without doubt he will look at two wide men 

we really struggled out wide this season and he’s released two in matias and boyd plus Aarons has gone back that only leaves our options being 

reach, Joao, forestieri and penny which is all very makeshift 

being that Bruce wants pace out wide and younger legs I think we will look at adding at least two out wide and another full back 

It depends, if we plan to persist with Fletcher in the lone striking role, then we will need goals from out wide. That’s what you get from Reach, Joao and Forestieri You most certainly wouldn’t get that from Aarons. We would need a much more prolific front man than Fletcher, were we to use traditional wingers

22 hours ago, Daz said:

However he wheels and deals we really need an injection of pace. Was really impressed with Eze for QPR today.. we need to find someone like him.

This stood out for me yesterday, we really missed someone like Aarons out on wing, if he's going to be another crock we should go for someone else though. 

Bruce generally has a striker on one flank, and a winger, or a midfielder on the other. At Villa he used Kodija and Adomah, and this will be more important to us, because whatever Fletcher offers, he isn’t exactly a prolific goal scorer 

23 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Build a spine to the team ,Westwood  ,Hector , A solid fit midfield ball winner ? Who I do not know  but someone in the middle for Bannon and Lee to work alongside. Fletcher if staying fit up front.

Although I agree it’s important that we have a solid spine, and re-signing Hector would go a long way to achieving that, my worry would be lack of goals. Assuming we did manage to sign Hector, Aarons and Lazaar, as many have suggested, we could line up in Bruce’s favoured 4-2-3-1 formation, something like this.

Westwood

Palmer/Iorfa

Lees

Hector

Lazaar

Hutchinson

Lee

Reach

Bannan

Aarons

Fletcher

That team might be hard to beat, and it would be good to see Bannan playing further forward, but seriously, where would the goals come from?

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Although I agree it’s important that we have a solid spine, and re-signing Hector would go a long way to achieving that, my worry would be lack of goals. Assuming we did manage to sign Hector, Aarons and Lazaar, as many have suggested, we could line up in Bruce’s favoured 4-2-3-1 formation, something like this.

Westwood

Palmer/Iorfa

Lees

Hector

Lazaar

Hutchinson

Lee

Reach

Bannan

Aarons

Fletcher

That team might be hard to beat, and it would be good to see Bannan playing further forward, but seriously, where would the goals come from?

You're assuming that no new players brought in would/will be forwards.