All new attack next season?

I really hope we can see Jordan Rhodes finally shine next season. He's cost us a fortune, but I don't think I've ever wanted it to work out more for one person. He's clearly a genuinely good person too, with a wise and professional head. Rhodes and Winnall next season?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

In fairness to Fletcher he had one bad knee injury last season that should have been addresssed far sooner. He was run into the ground under Carlos, playing whilst barely training, rather than getting it sorted. (Same as Hunt, FF)

Since then his fitness has been fine.

Agreed.

Like my OP, I think Bruce will keep a couple, and subject to the opinion of our S&M staff (sorry I mean physio team) Fletch May well be one of them.

But on the whole, I think Bruce will ship as many out as he is able.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Hooper and Matias are out of contract so will go.

Nobody will take the others.

Rhodes has been fit but not picked regularly.  My money is on him being the main man under Bruce next season.

I do hope not

An interesting question is, will we still play a lone striker like Fletcher, who works his socks off but is often ineffective because he needs someone to partner him. I don't know if Rhodes is such a player, but I'm placing my FFP-strangled bet on Fletch+Rhodes next season.

1 minute ago, FinnishOwl said:

An interesting question is, will we still play a lone striker like Fletcher, who works his socks off but is often ineffective because he needs someone to partner him. I don't know if Rhodes is such a player, but I'm placing my FFP-strangled bet on Fletch+Rhodes next season.

Rhodes is 100% NOT a lone-striker.

In all fairness you try not to change your defence and midfield but striker changes are inevitable throughout a season as players dip in and out of form. Not only that we have such a varied array of striking options that some suit opposition more than others. I probably only see one striker coming in the Summer. Only thing to change that would be  if we sold another of our under contract forwards.

You really think Bruce will bring in other strikers with these still at the club?

Fletcher

Nuhiu

Joao

Forestieri

Rhodes

Winnall

3 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

In all fairness you try not to change your defence and midfield but striker changes are inevitable throughout a season as players dip in and out of form. Not only that we have such a varied array of striking options that some suit opposition more than others. I probably only see one striker coming in the Summer. Only thing to change that would be  if we sold another of our under contract forwards.

You really think Bruce will bring in other strikers with these still at the club?

Fletcher

Nuhiu

Joao

Forestieri

Rhodes

Winnall

I think the OP is expecting Bruce to try and shift some of the above in order to make room for his own signings.

I still think there's s player in Winnall, and a future for Rhodes given a decent supply line. Firstly Winnall was treated poorly imho, scores winner in a derby then dropped a week later. What signal does that send out?

He goes to Derby and did very well. So much so he'd have been offered a deal by Rowett baring the injury then his sacking.

Rhodes although not setting it alight did well at Norwich, again with the supply could still do ok. Puki's form though means Rhodes ain't getting anywhere near, and he'll be sent back if they're promoted 

13 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I think the OP is expecting Bruce to try and shift some of the above in order to make room for his own signings.

In that case I agree as goalscores change games and results and I'm sure Bruce would love to bring in his own strikers to suit his preferred style. As it stands though we need takers for the likes of Winnall, Rhodes, Nuhiu and even maybe Forestieri.

6 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

In that case I agree as goalscores change games and results and I'm sure Bruce would love to bring in his own strikers to suit his preferred style. As it stands though we need takers for the likes of Winnall, Rhodes, Nuhiu and even maybe Forestieri.

Indeed. Trimming our strikeforce isn't going to be easy, as none of them are likely to attract sizeable bids, are they?

I suspect Bruce may want to have a look at Rhodes, as he's on record as admiring him.

Whether we're able to shift the likes of Forestieri or João for a decent fee given their injury records, remains to be seen.

35 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Indeed. Trimming our strikeforce isn't going to be easy, as none of them are likely to attract sizeable bids, are they?

I suspect Bruce may want to have a look at Rhodes, as he's on record as admiring him.

Whether we're able to shift the likes of Forestieri or João for a decent fee given their injury records, remains to be seen.

Would you say Joao has a poor injury record?

Hes prone to the odd short spell out, but I wouldn’t call it bad.

As for FF, yes nobody would offer a fee unless he gets a 12-15 game spell of playing 90 minutes, and even then it would be derisory with his record.

1 hour ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Fletcher

Nuhiu

Joao

Forestieri

Rhodes

Winnall

I really do, yes.

Nuhiu and Joao werent getting starts despite the horrendous injury list. 

You cant have this as your pecking order for strikers:-

1. Excellent but brittle, plays 40% of time

2. Excellent but long-term injuries

3. Excellent a few years back but now plays 1 in 5

4. Excellent a few years ago but not deemed good enough to play here or Norwich

5. Good goal scorer, bit iffy fitness, often doesn’t show up

6. Decent but meh two years ago, long term injuries

7. Good cameo player but rare starter apart from a brief period of top notch

I think most of our strikers will go if we can find them other clubs ,but that will be almost impossible . hooper,matias defo will leave . if we can get forestieri sold he will go ,but how many clubs would want to give him a 3 year deal on 30-40k a week? none I would guess , don't think he rates winnall but if he has a run until end of season he might change his mind. Rhodes we might be stuck with as its 3 years since he did anything and has played the odd 5mins here and there for last few months ,he must be the highest player per minute in the uk  since xmas as his 40k a week plus loan fee say 1million makes him 60k a week his 5 mins work out at 12k a minute ,even aguero per minute is cheaper . fletcher will probably be still here as again don't think anyone out there will match his wages . 

Guest LittleG

Unless we can offload some of the forwards still under contract (Fletcher. FF, Joao, Nuihu, Winnall and Rhodes), we may be stuck with the same set of players. Only Winnall and FF are saleable so even if we get rid it still leaves us with 4 options. At the most we may see one striker coming in.

22 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Would you say Joao has a poor injury record?

Hes prone to the odd short spell out, but I wouldn’t call it bad.

As for FF, yes nobody would offer a fee unless he gets a 12-15 game spell of playing 90 minutes, and even then it would be derisory with his record.

Maybe I'm being unfairly influenced by his current injury which seems to have come relatively soon after his last one.

2 hours ago, Castleford Owl said:

I really hope we can see Jordan Rhodes finally shine next season. He's cost us a fortune, but I don't think I've ever wanted it to work out more for one person. He's clearly a genuinely good person too, with a wise and professional head. Rhodes and Winnall next season?

You get goals from Rhodes when he has two uut and out wingers supplying him with ammo . I feel next season Bruce will see Rhodes as our number one striker ,and play to his strengths. 

Hope we can get Rhodes out on loan again. The lower the projected wage bill the more Bruce will have to work with. It won't be much and we could probably get someone as effective as Rhodes for half the wage. Shame he's not done the business at Norwich so that we can sell him for a decent fee.

2 hours ago, Castleford Owl said:

I've been a big advocate of Rhodes as the answer but I've belatedly come to the conclusion he isn't.

In the last 3 years since he left Blackburn he's 104 games and scored 20 goals. No manager has had him as a first on the team sheet type striker. I've got to conclude they know more than I do so it looks like his day of being a deadly finisher are probably over. He's a bit expensive to have around as a back up striker.