All new attack next season?

2 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

So many tough decisions to be made over the summer. Especially upfront.

Do we risk offering Hooper, our best forward, a new contract.

Can Bruce get the best out of Rhodes? 

Can we afford to keep Rhodes?

Can FF stay fit for longer than a few games?

Can Bruce get Joao to become more consistent?

Will Winnall start scoring again before the end of the season?

Personally I’d be happy to go with, 

Fletcher, Winnall, Hooper, FF & Joao next season.

Sell/Loan Rhodes and Nuhui.

I’m just glad we’ve got Bruce to make the decisions and not Jos.

Though you have elected to keep the 5 with the worst injury records, and sell the two who stay fit.

11 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I think our attacking options and certainly our first-choice attack will be unrecognizable next season. 

Bruce will not go into a new 46 match campaign with his current group of forwards, who are either way too unreliable or proven not to be quite good enough.

Consider the mainstay players in other departments over the past two seasons:-

Defence

Lees 6444 minutes - 87% of time available 

Hector 2342 minutes - 93% (of his short time here)

Midfield

Reach 7157 minutes - 97%

Bannan 5416 minutes - 73%

These are players Bruce trusts and can build a team around with confidence in their availability and form.

Attack

Joao 3023 minutes - 41%

Fletcher 3005 minutes - 41%

Nuhiu 2785 minutes - 38%

Rhodes 2566 minutes - 35%

Hooper 1930 minutes - 26%

Forestieri 1645 minutes - 22%

Matias 1521 minutes - 20%

Winnall 808 minutes - 11%

To a man, our attackers are either unavailable far too often (Winnall, FF, Hooper, Fletcher) or considered not quite good enough by various managers (Nuhiu, Joao, Rhodes) or a combination of ability and fitness (Matias).

IMO there is no way Bruce will allow this to continue. He will focus 75% of his Summer efforts on getting reliable first-pick quality forwards. I suspect only a couple of our current forwards will still be here in August. Big shame. Some of our lads are top of the tree forwards, or whole-hearted triers, but another season relying on this group simply cannot happen.

It’s what’s needed as our only clinical striker is Hooper and he looks finished. Give Winall a go till the end of the season he needs to be given a chance. Keep Nando as he offers something different, change the rest. 

10 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Hooper and Matias are out of contract so will go.

Nobody will take the others.

Rhodes has been fit but not picked regularly.  My money is on him being the main man under Bruce next season.

Rhodes the main man ? I thought the plan was top six next season ?

:duntmatter:

12 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Rememebr that time Aguero scored a hat trick for us in the Champions League final?

Hang on a minute...

I watch Wednesday and I don't watch a great deal of other football as I don't really have an awful lot of time to do so.

I made a mistake.

My comments were almost correct thought in as much as I thought Rhodes didn't play much in a promotion chasing side - pretty much as this season.

However if we are in a predicament next term, he may play for us still, and that is what I was getting at.

8 hours ago, HarryPlopper said:

I watch Wednesday and I don't watch a great deal of other football as I don't really have an awful lot of time to do so.

I made a mistake.

My comments were almost correct thought in as much as I thought Rhodes didn't play much in a promotion chasing side - pretty much as this season.

However if we are in a predicament next term, he may play for us still, and that is what I was getting at.

I wouldn't worry about it - we all make mistakes.

Just for future reference though - what you're supposed to do is double down on the mistake, swear that black is white and start hurling insults at anyone who dares question you.

It's kind of an Owlstalk tradition.

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

Most on here would love to see a fit and confident Rhodes at Hillsborough, and not the one we have seen so far, falling over and tip toeing around centre backs looking lost. It was all very strange under CC

Edited by unkastav

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t know what will happen with our existing forwards, but I’m pretty certain a new centre forward will be top of Bruce’s list of targets Nobody that we have currently, can play the lone striker role

Can you list a handful of lone-strikers who do it better than Fletcher for a promotion-seeking Championship team?

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Can you list a handful of lone-strikers who do it better than Fletcher for a promotion-seeking Championship team?

I can think of plenty who might, but as we will only be shopping in the loan market, it will certainly limit our options. I’m hoping he can identify a new Tammy Abraham, someone with goals and mobility

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I can think of plenty who might, but as we will only be shopping in the loan market, it will certainly limit our options. I’m hoping he can identify a new Tammy Abraham, someone with goals and mobility

Give us a few of the plenty please.

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Give us a few of the plenty please.

Abraham himself would be good, but I’d maybe try for Brewster at Liverpool. There will be changes aplenty at the big clubs, so we don’t know who might be available. 

What we do have though, is someone who might have the ability to identify such a player, and get him here against all odds That’s what Steve Bruce can do

On 10/03/2019 at 08:51, WayneTheOwl said:

Rhodes and Winnall next season’s deadly duo .... 

Be a formidable strike force that .. get the ball forward in to the box for this to get on the end of and it will rain goals...

In relation to the other strikers, Bruce is either a) checking his options out or b) not keen on some of em .. Only Fletcher seems to be getting more game time than the rest ..

Bit of wheeling and dealing in the summer

On 10/03/2019 at 08:44, Holmowl said:

I think our attacking options and certainly our first-choice attack will be unrecognizable next season. 

Bruce will not go into a new 46 match campaign with his current group of forwards, who are either way too unreliable or proven not to be quite good enough.

Consider the mainstay players in other departments over the past two seasons:-

Defence

Lees 6444 minutes - 87% of time available 

Hector 2342 minutes - 93% (of his short time here)

Midfield

Reach 7157 minutes - 97%

Bannan 5416 minutes - 73%

These are players Bruce trusts and can build a team around with confidence in their availability and form.

Attack

Joao 3023 minutes - 41%

Fletcher 3005 minutes - 41%

Nuhiu 2785 minutes - 38%

Rhodes 2566 minutes - 35%

Hooper 1930 minutes - 26%

Forestieri 1645 minutes - 22%

Matias 1521 minutes - 20%

Winnall 808 minutes - 11%

To a man, our attackers are either unavailable far too often (Winnall, FF, Hooper, Fletcher) or considered not quite good enough by various managers (Nuhiu, Joao, Rhodes) or a combination of ability and fitness (Matias).

IMO there is no way Bruce will allow this to continue. He will focus 75% of his Summer efforts on getting reliable first-pick quality forwards. I suspect only a couple of our current forwards will still be here in August. Big shame. Some of our lads are top of the tree forwards, or whole-hearted triers, but another season relying on this group simply cannot happen.

Fvvck me! Eight forwards! That’s criminal!!!