All new attack next season?

Bruce said this week that we might have to sell players in the summer. I certainly don’t think it will be the likes of Lees Bannan or Reach so our bloated strike force is the obvious area.

He is good at working the market and agents and will soon be hard at work trying to move people on.

Equally he will already be working with the new recruitment people looking for summer targets with the attributes he sees we need.

Bruce has eluded to the fact we have too many strikers, some will be moved on if possible. 

If Winnall gets and stays fit could be in his plans if his comments yesterday about offering something different are accurate. 

Bruce likes athletic players with power and pace, think a Tammy Abraham type on loan will be on his radar. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see onomah and Aarons back on loan next season, along with other premier league loans up front and in midfield. Any purchases will be modest, similar to the Iorfa deal.

1 hour ago, marshy said:

I still think there's s player in Winnall, and a future for Rhodes given a decent supply line. Firstly Winnall was treated poorly imho, scores winner in a derby then dropped a week later. What signal does that send out?

He goes to Derby and did very well. So much so he'd have been offered a deal by Rowett baring the injury then his sacking.

Rhodes although not setting it alight did well at Norwich, again with the supply could still do ok. Puki's form though means Rhodes ain't getting anywhere near, and he'll be sent back if they're promoted 

Perhaps we need to find our own 'Pukki'.

Edited by prowl

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Rhodes is 100% NOT a lone-striker.

Sorry, meant Rhodes partnering Fletcher so Fletch can do what he seems to do best - keep the CBs busy and battered and create space and chances for a strike partner to put the ball in the net. We've seen that playing Fletcher alone doesn't produce that many goals but then again, Bruce has been saying that the minds of the players must be switched from playing backwards and sideways to going forward. So he probably has some ideas on what to improve up front.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, prowl said:

I've been a big advocate of Rhodes as the answer but I've belatedly come to the conclusion he isn't.

In the last 3 years since he left Blackburn he's 104 games and scored 20 goals. No manager has had him as a first on the team sheet type striker. I've got to conclude they know more than I do so it looks like his day of being a deadly finisher are probably over. He's a bit expensive to have around as a back up striker.

20 in 104 is an unsuitable measure mate. He’s had many 5/10 minute cameos.

At Norwich He has scored 6 in 975 league minutes. That’s very good. 

3 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Hooper and Matias are out of contract so will go.

Nobody will take the others.

Rhodes has been fit but not picked regularly.  My money is on him being the main man under Bruce next season.

I imagine fletcher will have 'caught bruce's eye' whilst he's been here, and on the money he's on would be very difficult to move away, other than a loan where we're chipping in for his wage.

ff should still attract a 'fee' so maybe a mover along with reach?

winnall, and rhodes, could be of use here, or shipped out, and he may see joao as having 'had his chance' who knows.

if anyone is interested nuhiu should be gone, and hooper and matias are no brainers.

the money raised from ff and reach along with what dc can muster will 'hopefully' allow bruce to 'equip' the side with more  'potent' forwards who can move at pace* (*my worry over the retention of fletcher).

5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I think our attacking options and certainly our first-choice attack will be unrecognizable next season. 

Bruce will not go into a new 46 match campaign with his current group of forwards, who are either way too unreliable or proven not to be quite good enough.

Consider the mainstay players in other departments over the past two seasons:-

Defence

Lees 6444 minutes - 87% of time available 

Hector 2342 minutes - 93% (of his short time here)

Midfield

Reach 7157 minutes - 97%

Bannan 5416 minutes - 73%

These are players Bruce trusts and can build a team around with confidence in their availability and form.

Attack

Joao 3023 minutes - 41%

Fletcher 3005 minutes - 41%

Nuhiu 2785 minutes - 38%

Rhodes 2566 minutes - 35%

Hooper 1930 minutes - 26%

Forestieri 1645 minutes - 22%

Matias 1521 minutes - 20%

Winnall 808 minutes - 11%

To a man, our attackers are either unavailable far too often (Winnall, FF, Hooper, Fletcher) or considered not quite good enough by various managers (Nuhiu, Joao, Rhodes) or a combination of ability and fitness (Matias).

IMO there is no way Bruce will allow this to continue. He will focus 75% of his Summer efforts on getting reliable first-pick quality forwards. I suspect only a couple of our current forwards will still be here in August. Big shame. Some of our lads are top of the tree forwards, or whole-hearted triers, but another season relying on this group simply cannot happen.

hope so,we have some real crap

I expect Bruce to try to shake up the forward department in the summer but given only Hooper and Matias are the only forwards out of contract this will probably be difficult. I think he might have to concentrate in the short term in trying to make us more creative in midfield in an effort to try to make us more of a free scoring side.

So many tough decisions to be made over the summer. Especially upfront.

Do we risk offering Hooper, our best forward, a new contract.

Can Bruce get the best out of Rhodes? 

Can we afford to keep Rhodes?

Can FF stay fit for longer than a few games?

Can Bruce get Joao to become more consistent?

Will Winnall start scoring again before the end of the season?

Personally I’d be happy to go with, 

Fletcher, Winnall, Hooper, FF & Joao next season.

Sell/Loan Rhodes and Nuhui.

I’m just glad we’ve got Bruce to make the decisions and not Jos.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I think our attacking options and certainly our first-choice attack will be unrecognizable next season. 

Bruce will not go into a new 46 match campaign with his current group of forwards, who are either way too unreliable or proven not to be quite good enough.

Consider the mainstay players in other departments over the past two seasons:-

Defence

Lees 6444 minutes - 87% of time available 

Hector 2342 minutes - 93% (of his short time here)

Midfield

Reach 7157 minutes - 97%

Bannan 5416 minutes - 73%

These are players Bruce trusts and can build a team around with confidence in their availability and form.

Attack

Joao 3023 minutes - 41%

Fletcher 3005 minutes - 41%

Nuhiu 2785 minutes - 38%

Rhodes 2566 minutes - 35%

Hooper 1930 minutes - 26%

Forestieri 1645 minutes - 22%

Matias 1521 minutes - 20%

Winnall 808 minutes - 11%

To a man, our attackers are either unavailable far too often (Winnall, FF, Hooper, Fletcher) or considered not quite good enough by various managers (Nuhiu, Joao, Rhodes) or a combination of ability and fitness (Matias).

IMO there is no way Bruce will allow this to continue. He will focus 75% of his Summer efforts on getting reliable first-pick quality forwards. I suspect only a couple of our current forwards will still be here in August. Big shame. Some of our lads are top of the tree forwards, or whole-hearted triers, but another season relying on this group simply cannot happen.

Andy your analysis is flawed by not examining the proved correlation of positional players between those that dish it out and those that have to take it. Repeat the same exercise at any number of Clubs and you would reveal very similar results. Reduce the number of strikers and you will increase the minutes on the pitch of the remaining strikers. 

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I really do, yes.

Nuhiu and Joao werent getting starts despite the horrendous injury list. 

You cant have this as your pecking order for strikers:-

1. Excellent but brittle, plays 40% of time

2. Excellent but long-term injuries

3. Excellent a few years back but now plays 1 in 5

4. Excellent a few years ago but not deemed good enough to play here or Norwich

5. Good goal scorer, bit iffy fitness, often doesn’t show up

6. Decent but meh two years ago, long term injuries

7. Good cameo player but rare starter apart from a brief period of top notch

Dont forget Bruce wants a smaller squad, not a bigger one!

8 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

In all fairness you try not to change your defence and midfield but striker changes are inevitable throughout a season as players dip in and out of form. Not only that we have such a varied array of striking options that some suit opposition more than others. I probably only see one striker coming in the Summer. Only thing to change that would be  if we sold another of our under contract forwards.

You really think Bruce will bring in other strikers with these still at the club?

Fletcher

Nuhiu

Joao

Forestieri

Rhodes

Winnall

ship out Nuhui,think FF looks disinterested..again..Rhodes.be great if bruce could get him firing..keep Fletcher..Winnall if fit ..keep..not sure about Joao,depends what's available

3 minutes ago, Brando17 said:

ship out Nuhui,think FF looks disinterested..again..Rhodes.be great if bruce could get him firing..keep Fletcher..Winnall if fit ..keep..not sure about Joao,depends what's available

All easier said than done my friend.

• Like 1