All new attack next season?

I think our attacking options and certainly our first-choice attack will be unrecognizable next season. 

Bruce will not go into a new 46 match campaign with his current group of forwards, who are either way too unreliable or proven not to be quite good enough.

Consider the mainstay players in other departments over the past two seasons:-

Defence

Lees 6444 minutes - 87% of time available 

Hector 2342 minutes - 93% (of his short time here)

Midfield

Reach 7157 minutes - 97%

Bannan 5416 minutes - 73%

These are players Bruce trusts and can build a team around with confidence in their availability and form.

Attack

Joao 3023 minutes - 41%

Fletcher 3005 minutes - 41%

Nuhiu 2785 minutes - 38%

Rhodes 2566 minutes - 35%

Hooper 1930 minutes - 26%

Forestieri 1645 minutes - 22%

Matias 1521 minutes - 20%

Winnall 808 minutes - 11%

To a man, our attackers are either unavailable far too often (Winnall, FF, Hooper, Fletcher) or considered not quite good enough by various managers (Nuhiu, Joao, Rhodes) or a combination of ability and fitness (Matias).

IMO there is no way Bruce will allow this to continue. He will focus 75% of his Summer efforts on getting reliable first-pick quality forwards. I suspect only a couple of our current forwards will still be here in August. Big shame. Some of our lads are top of the tree forwards, or whole-hearted triers, but another season relying on this group simply cannot happen.

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 3

How we are playing now, you'd say Rhodes.  Not simply because Norwich won't want him and I doubt any of the teams coming down will.   No one else will gamble on his wages.

But didn't Bruce consistently not play him for Hull?  Or am I making that up?

7 minutes ago, HarryPlopper said:

How we are playing now, you'd say Rhodes.  Not simply because Norwich won't want him and I doubt any of the teams coming down will.   No one else will gamble on his wages.

But didn't Bruce consistently not play him for Hull?  Or am I making that up?

Mixing it up with an FM19 save?

• Haha 4

Guest wilyfox

Personally, I think Hooper & Matias will be released. I think we'll try to move Winnall on. We'll be stuck with Nuhiu. Fletcher will see out his final year here. Bruce will try and get more from FF. Rhodes...hard to say. Selling him will be difficult. Might be another loan for him, unless Bruce wants to give him a go. Lack of pace & presence goes against him though. 

33 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I think our attacking options and certainly our first-choice attack will be unrecognizable next season. 

Bruce will not go into a new 46 match campaign with his current group of forwards, who are either way too unreliable or proven not to be quite good enough.

Consider the mainstay players in other departments over the past two seasons:-

Defence

Lees 6444 minutes - 87% of time available 

Hector 2342 minutes - 93% (of his short time here)

Midfield

Reach 7157 minutes - 97%

Bannan 5416 minutes - 73%

These are players Bruce trusts and can build a team around with confidence in their availability and form.

Attack

Joao 3023 minutes - 41%

Fletcher 3005 minutes - 41%

Nuhiu 2785 minutes - 38%

Rhodes 2566 minutes - 35%

Hooper 1930 minutes - 26%

Forestieri 1645 minutes - 22%

Matias 1521 minutes - 20%

Winnall 808 minutes - 11%

To a man, our attackers are either unavailable far too often (Winnall, FF, Hooper, Fletcher) or considered not quite good enough by various managers (Nuhiu, Joao, Rhodes) or a combination of ability and fitness (Matias).

IMO there is no way Bruce will allow this to continue. He will focus 75% of his Summer efforts on getting reliable first-pick quality forwards. I suspect only a couple of our current forwards will still be here in August. Big shame. Some of our lads are top of the tree forwards, or whole-hearted triers, but another season relying on this group simply cannot happen.

In fairness to Fletcher he had one bad knee injury last season that should have been addresssed far sooner. He was run into the ground under Carlos, playing whilst barely training, rather than getting it sorted. (Same as Hunt, FF)

Since then his fitness has been fine.

I expect SB will start with Rhodes or he goes out on loan again. We can't afford his wages just sat on the bench or squad.

FF and Fletcher will have a year left so these two are likely IMO to start if Rhodes goes, with Nuhiu and Joao as back up.

Winnall may be sold and Matias and Hopper will be released.

27 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Hooper and Matias are out of contract so will go.

Nobody will take the others.

Rhodes has been fit but not picked regularly.  My money is on him being the main man under Bruce next season.

I agree , Rhodes will be given the chance ,, but we need pace , out wide we're just not good enough , I can see us playing a 4/3/3 next season.                 Westwood 

Iorfa.     Lees.    Hector.  Penney       

?      Hutchinson. bannan

?      Rhodes.   ?

Guest mkowl

Definitely going to be looking at those stats and whilst a player may be good that is irrelevant if they are not on the pitch 

Hooper being a classic example 

11 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I think one of Bruce’s main priorities will be to to bring in a striker with real pace. 

I'd be happy to sign a striker who can score goals. I don't ask for much in life.