Rotherham Owls

10 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

I understand your view and respect it, I don't care where Wednesdayites come from, if they support Wednesday they're ok with me BUT I'm different I support Wednesday because they like me are from Sheffield. 

Although I'm no Rugby, basketball, netball or ice hockey fan I also like to see Steelers, Eagles, Sharks and hatters do well.

As a youngster I used to go to speedway and support the Tigers and I still keep an eye out for their results today.

This extends to single sportsman Bomber Graham, Naz (a tail but a Sheffielder) Clinton Woods, Kelly Brook, (yes even a Blade), Sebastian Coe (a Sheffielder when I was growing up) Jess Ennis and Nicholas Matthew.

As a Sheffielder I'm also a Yorkshire man so like to see Yorkshire Cricket do well, I'm English so want to see England (and or GB) do well at all sports (first and foremost football).

It even goes down as far as being a "European" whist the rider cup is on.

I support where I'm from.

For me there's nothing better than a day out and then standing (or nowadays sitting) with my mates who I've grown up with or who I have worked with, cheering on "our" team.

This is the reason I personally don't get Sheffielders who support Man Utd, Liverpool,  Chelsea, Leeds etc, it's like being English and supporting Germany or Brazil. 

But I understand many people support Wednesday from outside Sheffield and I welcome em, they were lucky to be chosen but if I was born in say Rochdale that would be my team.

Nail on head pal. I wouldn't even contemplate supporting any other team who isn't from Sheffield and quite frankly don't give two fvucks about anyone else.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

And this doesn't happen in the glorious Sheffield?

Reading this thread tells me one thing. The reason why Wednesday is so hated by many other teams.

wednesday are hated by the smaller local sides in the area because they are all 'tinpot', and being small minded and bitter, they'd rather see wednesday do badly than 'their' version of tinpot do well.

let's be fair here, coming from buxton I very much doubt it's the epicentre of 'street culture' or whatever we call it now, I imagine you don't get a stabbing or two on the w/e.

2 hours ago, dnhc said:

wednesday are hated by the smaller local sides in the area because they are all 'tinpot', and being small minded and bitter, they'd rather see wednesday do badly than 'their' version of tinpot do well.

let's be fair here, coming from buxton I very much doubt it's the epicentre of 'street culture' or whatever we call it now, I imagine you don't get a stabbing or two on the w/e.

Buxton is very much a quarry town mate. It's nowhere near a gentrified as you might think.

15 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

At last a toytowner who understands his own townsfolk/City/Club, (still illiterate though).

Btw sometimes the suave, sophisticated City boys (and girls) fall on hard times,  rather than being homeless some people find it better to downgrade and move to Rotherham  (not often mind). ;-)

Sheffield folk should move there. This way we can follow in our Victorian forefathers to went out to the farflung places in the world in an attempt to civilise and educate the local inhabitants. It is a challenge but one we have a duty to undertake.

11 hours ago, AlanLee said:

But Rotherham's my town and I'm proud that we here are able to support any football club, nevermind one playing in the 4th strongest league in Europe. Especially considering we are surrounded on all sides by towns and cities with football clubs playing at a decent level, it makes it even more of an achievement.

Too right mate.  Not too shabby for a team the 'Great' Ronnie Moore described as the 4th best supported club in Rotherham.

• Haha 2

If you want the full story, here it is :-

I was born in HOYLAND, which is virtually in  the centre of the triangle between Sheffield, Rotherham and Barnsley, although the nearest by a couple of miles was Barnsley.

Hoyland had a strong sheffield Wed. Supporters club, as did nearby Hoyland Common.  My father, who originated from Swinton, Rotherham, was a keen W'ite, and took me , like so many fathers did at that time (1947) to my first match at Hillsborough. It was MY decision that I became a W'ite . I had relatives who were keen Barnsleyites.

I travelled from hoyland, and later after marriage from Hoyland Common. In 1968, to advance my career in Coal Mining, I moved to CLOWNE in Derbyshire (more passed thro' than ever lived in). I could have chosen then to follow any of the Yorkshire clubs including Leeds or the ground I passed on my way to S6, the Lane, or i could just as easily have followed the Nottingham sides, or  ore easily my local the Town'.-Chesterfield.

I moved after retirement from the Coal Industry, and eventually moved to Buxton to live near my Daughter and Granddaughter. Were I to follow my 'nearest' league side it would be either Macclesfield Town or Stockport County. I could even go with some of my friends to either of the Manchester sides , or even Stoke City. I prefer  to watch my beloved Wednesday, and am taken by my daughter to S6 where I struggle with two sticks to take my place alongside the 'prawn sandwich brigade

In my life, I have worked , and drunk, alongside people from Rotherham,, supporters of the Blades, Notts For, Man Utd & City, and have argued football with the best.

I know for a fact that there are a minimum of 10 car loads who travel from Buxton to S6 every game

Please don't continue with the misbegotten idea that Buxton is full of geriatric old rich duffers. I did my time in the pits, often working alongside men who were earning more than me, but I learned two important lessons. The first was that the humblest worker underground was just as important as the high paid collier. The other was never to judge a man by his looks. All men were the same colour when you got underground.

I will never change my allegiance to my beloved Wednesday, and have the greatest respect for supportersof the so-called 'TinPot'Clubs.   

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

If you want the full story, here it is :-

I was born in HOYLAND, which is virtually in  the centre of the triangle between Sheffield, Rotherham and Barnsley, although the nearest by a couple of miles was Barnsley.

Hoyland had a strong sheffield Wed. Supporters club, as did nearby Hoyland Common.  My father, who originated from Swinton, Rotherham, was a keen W'ite, and took me , like so many fathers did at that time (1947) to my first match at Hillsborough. It was MY decision that I became a W'ite . I had relatives who were keen Barnsleyites.

I travelled from hoyland, and later after marriage from Hoyland Common. In 1968, to advance my career in Coal Mining, I moved to CLOWNE in Derbyshire (more passed thro' than ever lived in). I could have chosen then to follow any of the Yorkshire clubs including Leeds or the ground I passed on my way to S6, the Lane, or i could just as easily have followed the Nottingham sides, or  ore easily my local the Town'.-Chesterfield.

I moved after retirement from the Coal Industry, and eventually moved to Buxton to live near my Daughter and Granddaughter. Were I to follow my 'nearest' league side it would be either Macclesfield Town or Stockport County. I could even go with some of my friends to either of the Manchester sides , or even Stoke City. I prefer  to watch my beloved Wednesday, and am taken by my daughter to S6 where I struggle with two sticks to take my place alongside the 'prawn sandwich brigade

In my life, I have worked , and drunk, alongside people from Rotherham,, supporters of the Blades, Notts For, Man Utd & City, and have argued football with the best.

I know for a fact that there are a minimum of 10 car loads who travel from Buxton to S6 every game

Please don't continue with the misbegotten idea that Buxton is full of geriatric old rich duffers. I did my time in the pits, often working alongside men who were earning more than me, but I learned two important lessons. The first was that the humblest worker underground was just as important as the high paid collier. The other was never to judge a man by his looks. All men were the same colour when you got underground.

I will never change my allegiance to my beloved Wednesday, and have the greatest respect for supportersof the so-called 'TinPot'Clubs.   

Good post that. Interesting, moved around a fair bit myself and lived in a few towns with less attractive clubs met loads of lower league fans of these clubs all decent and welcomed as a wednesday fan dont have this animosity that Some millers have for Owls fans living in Rotherham. 

7 hours ago, alanharper said:

I've just seen a kid in a Rotherham top get on the train at Sheffield and get off at Rotherham and walk to the ground. I thought they hated that kind of thing? Bloody gloryhunter. 

God I hate them Sheffield millers. If it wasn't for them we would have loads more fans lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Bleeder said:

It certainly int but if you worked in the industry there certainly aren't many soft lads about. That I do know.

I remember more than a decade ago dodworth lads where i worked saying  'IT HAD ALL KICKED OFF BIG STYLE IN'T TOP HOUSE ON THE BANK HOLIDAY, COPPERS HAD TO BE SENT FOR, YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT'.

meanwhile in a village of the same size further east, police resources from 7 different stations had to be called in with riot gear used to it's full potential including tear gas to bring to an end the evening's entertainment.  it's all about perspective.

5 hours ago, dorian gray said:

I remember more than a decade ago dodworth lads where i worked saying  'IT HAD ALL KICKED OFF BIG STYLE IN'T TOP HOUSE ON THE BANK HOLIDAY, COPPERS HAD TO BE SENT FOR, YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT'.

meanwhile in a village of the same size further east, police resources from 7 different stations had to be called in with riot gear used to it's full potential including tear gas to bring to an end the evening's entertainment.  it's all about perspective.

Eh?

6 hours ago, dorian gray said:

Ah.... I get it. Just over 100 years ago millions of people including steelworkers from Sheffield and Germany and farmers from both countries were blowing each others heads off over a few yards of ground. One lot 'harder' than the other. Don't think so or that it matters one bit. Perspective. (Sorry, I'm being a t.at now.)