Rotherham Owls

On 16/02/2019 at 11:23, Buxtongent said:

If you want the full story, here it is :-

I was born in HOYLAND, which is virtually in  the centre of the triangle between Sheffield, Rotherham and Barnsley, although the nearest by a couple of miles was Barnsley.

Hoyland had a strong sheffield Wed. Supporters club, as did nearby Hoyland Common.  My father, who originated from Swinton, Rotherham, was a keen W'ite, and took me , like so many fathers did at that time (1947) to my first match at Hillsborough. It was MY decision that I became a W'ite . I had relatives who were keen Barnsleyites.

I travelled from hoyland, and later after marriage from Hoyland Common. In 1968, to advance my career in Coal Mining, I moved to CLOWNE in Derbyshire (more passed thro' than ever lived in). I could have chosen then to follow any of the Yorkshire clubs including Leeds or the ground I passed on my way to S6, the Lane, or i could just as easily have followed the Nottingham sides, or  ore easily my local the Town'.-Chesterfield.

I moved after retirement from the Coal Industry, and eventually moved to Buxton to live near my Daughter and Granddaughter. Were I to follow my 'nearest' league side it would be either Macclesfield Town or Stockport County. I could even go with some of my friends to either of the Manchester sides , or even Stoke City. I prefer  to watch my beloved Wednesday, and am taken by my daughter to S6 where I struggle with two sticks to take my place alongside the 'prawn sandwich brigade

In my life, I have worked , and drunk, alongside people from Rotherham,, supporters of the Blades, Notts For, Man Utd & City, and have argued football with the best.

I know for a fact that there are a minimum of 10 car loads who travel from Buxton to S6 every game

Please don't continue with the misbegotten idea that Buxton is full of geriatric old rich duffers. I did my time in the pits, often working alongside men who were earning more than me, but I learned two important lessons. The first was that the humblest worker underground was just as important as the high paid collier. The other was never to judge a man by his looks. All men were the same colour when you got underground.

I will never change my allegiance to my beloved Wednesday, and have the greatest respect for supportersof the so-called 'TinPot'Clubs.   

I was born not too far from where you were. i used to attend home and away with a guy from hoyland common.

things have altered a tad since 1968, in fact way more than a tad, way, way more than a tad. 

now buxton may not be full of 'geriatric old rich duffers', and I've not seen anyone who has posted that it was.

but lets be fair here, it's certainly more 'gentile' than some other places around, that may also have moved on a tad since 1968.

I presently work with numerous dingles, and they all to a man BITTERLY F*****G HATE WEDNESDAY, and will repeatedly tell you so, it's what they live for, they HATE wednesday more than they love the dings, a good many of the shitpots don't go when they're not doing well, but they'll still butt into a conversation to tell you 'I HATE WEDNESDAY', it's inbred into them.

28 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I was born not too far from where you were. i used to attend home and away with a guy from hoyland common.

things have altered a tad since 1968, in fact way more than a tad, way, way more than a tad. 

now buxton may not be full of 'geriatric old rich duffers', and I've not seen anyone who has posted that it was.

but lets be fair here, it's certainly more 'gentile' than some other places around, that may also have moved on a tad since 1968.

I presently work with numerous dingles, and they all to a man BITTERLY F*****G HATE WEDNESDAY, and will repeatedly tell you so, it's what they live for, they HATE wednesday more than they love the dings, a good many of the shitpots don't go when they're not doing well, but they'll still butt into a conversation to tell you 'I HATE WEDNESDAY', it's inbred into them.

Having been on one of their forums they talk some absolute poo about us constantly more so than Rotherham fans. The only other club I don't mind from our region is Donny as they don't give fizz about us they just have a strong dislike for toytown and dingles. 

5 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Having been on one of their forums they talk some absolute poo about us constantly more so than Rotherham fans. The only other club I don't mind from our region is Donny as they don't give fizz about us they just have a strong dislike for toytown and dingles. 

can you actually understand what the six fingered monkeys post?

they must have one hell of a spell check, as they're non too good in the handwriting column.

I grew up on traveller sites, went to school in Barnsley and started going to Wednesday with my older brothers & some mates I had met who were all from Barnsley, even when our site moved I was still a Wednesdayite.

My Dad was old school Irish Gypsy who didn't really like football.

Left the community in the late 80's & have lived on the Cross ever since with my non traveller Wife (who is from Sheffield) & my 3 kids are all mad wednesday fans

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

I grew up on traveller sites, went to school in Barnsley and started going to Wednesday with my older brothers & some mates I had met who were all from Barnsley, even when our site moved I was still a Wednesdayite.

Left the community in the late 80's & have lived on the Cross ever since with my non traveller Wife (who is from Sheffield) & my 3 kids are all mad wednesday fans

Do you still consider yourself to be a Traveller? Sorry to pry. I’m just interested. 

4 hours ago, gypsyowl said:

Feyt yer for a fiver :ph34r:

22 hours ago, shandypants said:

Do you still consider yourself to be a Traveller? Sorry to pry. I’m just interested. 

No not really mate, my parents are sadly not here anymore, they were the last traveller relatives I was close to, it's a past & I'm not ashamed of it, my kids know their heritage but that's about it.

I can speak Shelta, I can bare knuckle fight (not as well anymore... dodgy back & just turned 50!) & I am still a Catholic... but that's just all of who I am.

Now I'm just a normal Dad, Husband, full time worker & Wednesday fan like the rest.

• Like 1