Rotherham Owls

4 hours ago, AlanLee said:

Unfortunately the Rotherham Owls are in a lose lose situation. 

In Rotherham they are seen as a bit of a joke. Spineless 'plastic' fans who've attached themselves to another town's more illustrious club as they didn't want to lose face with their peers by supporting their local 'tinpot' club.

In Sheffield they are seen as bit of a joke because they have no affiliation with the club or the city. They've just jumped on the bandwagon (or following their father/grandfather who jumped on he bandwagon in the past) and are now mascarading as 'Sheffielders'.

Now they're very bitter that their hometown 'tinpot' club is competing in the same league (again) even though Rotherham's budget is an 8th of Wednesday's. But hey, they're Massive so who cares?

I also don't believe there are Sheffield people who would ever move to Rotherham like some say. Why would they? According to the people on this forum as well as those in attendance tomorrow, Rotherham is/Rotherham people are..

"full of paedofiles"

"full of scrubbers"

"full of sh!t"

"tinpot club"

"tinpot town"

"6 fingered"

"permit incest"

"on benefits"

"wearing tracksuits from Matalan"

So not somewhere I'd imagine the suave, sophisticated city boys from Sheffield would want to move to Rotherham for!

I got 'somewhat conned/invited' into a night out in rovrum a month ago, i'll have to say this in it's support, it's amazing what your girlfriends will do for two half's of lager and a bag o' chips, if you can drag 'em away from the ahem! 'local' taxi driver.

12 minutes ago, dnhc said:

I got 'somewhat conned/invited' into a night out in rovrum a month ago, i'll have to say this in it's support, it's amazing what your girlfriends will do for two half's of lager and a bag o' chips, if you can drag 'em away from the ahem! 'local' taxi driver.

And this doesn't happen in the glorious Sheffield?

Reading this thread tells me one thing. The reason why Wednesday is so hated by many other teams.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlanLee said:

In Rotherham they are seen as a bit of a joke. Spineless 'plastic' fans who've attached themselves to another town's more illustrious club as they didn't want to lose face with their peers by supporting their local 'tinpot' club.

In Sheffield they are seen as bit of a joke because they have no affiliation with the club or the city. They've just jumped on the bandwagon (or following their father/grandfather who jumped on he bandwagon in the past) and are now mascarading as 'Sheffielders'.

Now they're very bitter that their hometown 'tinpot' club is competing in the same league (again) even though Rotherham's budget is an 8th of Wednesday's. But hey, they're Massive so who cares?

I also don't believe there are Sheffield people who would ever move to Rotherham like some say. Why would they? According to the people on this forum as well as those in attendance tomorrow, Rotherham is/Rotherham people are..

"full of paedofiles"

"full of scrubbers"

"full of sh!t"

"tinpot club"

"tinpot town"

"6 fingered"

"permit incest"

"on benefits"

So not somewhere I'd imagine the suave, sophisticated city boys from Sheffield would want to move to Rotherham for!

Hmm Rotherhams a town, well actually nothing more than a little tin pot part of Sheffield, which is a city lol

"full of paedofiles"

"full of scrubbers"

"full of sh!t"

"tinpot club"

"tinpot town"

"6 fingered"

"permit incest"

"on benefits"

At last a toytowner who understands his own townsfolk/City/Club, (still illiterate though).

Btw sometimes the suave, sophisticated City boys (and girls) fall on hard times,  rather than being homeless some people find it better to downgrade and move to Rotherham  (not often mind). ;-)

Edited by OWL1969

We only support Wednesday because of all success we've had year after year. :tango:

I wonder what you'll think of Sheffield United when/if they get promoted and next season you see lots of folks jumping on supertram at Parkgate and Town to go and watch them play likes of Liverpool and Man Utd. 

4 minutes ago, bradowl said:

We only support Wednesday because of all success we've had year after year. :tango:

I wonder what you'll think of Sheffield United when/if they get promoted and next season you see lots of folks jumping on supertram at Parkgate and Town to go and watch them play likes of Liverpool and Man Utd. 

:duntmatter::tango::manager:lol:CEO:garymegson

And gi' fuckingsid back.

• Haha 1

"full of paedofiles"

"full of scrubbers"

"full of sh!t"

"tinpot club"

"tinpot town"

"6 fingered"

"permit incest"

"on benefits"

Far from been seen as a bit of a joke, most Rotherham fans aspire to be Wednesday fans, but they can't as they have also a third team to support usually Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, and more recently Man City.  That's why you never see a cold Rotherham fan they have that many different football shirts on. 

It would be interesting to take a poll of 'Wednesday supporters' at a  match, just to see the proportion of 'Outsiders' and 'Dee Dahs' in the crowd. I think the results would be interesting. 

By the way, i support Sheffield Wednesday NOT Sheffield. Personally I have no particular love of the City. parts of the City are very nice, parts are down-at-heel and of no particular interest. In fact, as a City, I much prefer the nearer, and much more up-to-date Manchester, but I am, have always been and ever shall be a Wednesdayite. I do not however think that we are  the only football club in the City, or even in the country. There are very few supporters of ANY football club I despise. I do not hold their views, but respect their right to hold them, even Unitedites.  

5 hours ago, VBQ24 said:

Genuinely don't understand what Rotherham have got against us? 

They thought we were great when we let them collect money in their plastic buckets when they looked like going under .

Also their chairman is a ex Wednesdayite  , I say ex but cannot have been a proper Owl could he 

24 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Far from been seen as a bit of a joke, most Rotherham fans aspire to be Wednesday fans, but they can't as they have also a third team to support usually Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, and more recently Man City.  That's why you never see a cold Rotherham fan they have that many different football shirts on. 

You haven't mentioned Leeds, I know some who drift between clubs, depends who's doing well.

34 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

It would be interesting to take a poll of 'Wednesday supporters' at a  match, just to see the proportion of 'Outsiders' and 'Dee Dahs' in the crowd. I think the results would be interesting. 

By the way, i support Sheffield Wednesday NOT Sheffield. Personally I have no particular love of the City. parts of the City are very nice, parts are down-at-heel and of no particular interest. In fact, as a City, I much prefer the nearer, and much more up-to-date Manchester, but I am, have always been and ever shall be a Wednesdayite. I do not however think that we are  the only football club in the City, or even in the country. There are very few supporters of ANY football club I despise. I do not hold their views, but respect their right to hold them, even Unitedites.  

I understand your view and respect it, I don't care where Wednesdayites come from, if they support Wednesday they're ok with me BUT I'm different I support Wednesday because they like me are from Sheffield. 

Although I'm no Rugby, basketball, netball or ice hockey fan I also like to see Steelers, Eagles, Sharks and hatters do well.

As a youngster I used to go to speedway and support the Tigers and I still keep an eye out for their results today.

This extends to single sportsman Bomber Graham, Naz (a tail but a Sheffielder) Clinton Woods, Kelly Brook, (yes even a Blade), Sebastian Coe (a Sheffielder when I was growing up) Jess Ennis and Nicholas Matthew.

As a Sheffielder I'm also a Yorkshire man so like to see Yorkshire Cricket do well, I'm English so want to see England (and or GB) do well at all sports (first and foremost football).

It even goes down as far as being a "European" whist the rider cup is on.

I support where I'm from.

For me there's nothing better than a day out and then standing (or nowadays sitting) with my mates who I've grown up with or who I have worked with, cheering on "our" team.

This is the reason I personally don't get Sheffielders who support Man Utd, Liverpool,  Chelsea, Leeds etc, it's like being English and supporting Germany or Brazil. 

But I understand many people support Wednesday from outside Sheffield and I welcome em, they were lucky to be chosen but if I was born in say Rochdale that would be my team.

2 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

I understand your view and respect it, I don't care where Wednesdayites come from, if they support Wednesday they're ok with me BUT I'm different I support Wednesday because they like me are from Sheffield. 

Although I'm no Rugby, basketball, netball or ice hockey fan I also like to see Steelers, Eagles, Sharks and hatters do well.

As a youngster I used to go to speedway and support the Tigers and I still keep an eye out for their results today.

This extends to single sportsman Bomber Graham, Naz (a tail but a Sheffielder) Clinton Woods, Kelly Brook, (yes even a Blade), Sebastian Coe (a Sheffielder when I was growing up) Jess Ennis and Nicholas Matthew.

As a Sheffielder I'm also a Yorkshire man so like to see Yorkshire Cricket do well, I'm English so want to see England (and or GB) do well at all sports (first and foremost football).

It even goes down as far as being a "European" whist the rider cup is on.

I support where I'm from.

For me there's nothing better than a day out and then standing (or nowadays sitting) with my mates who I've grown up with or who I have worked with, cheering on "our" team.

This is the reason I personally don't get Sheffielders who support Man Utd, Liverpool,  Chelsea, Leeds etc, it's like being English and supporting Germany or Brazil. 

But I understand many people support Wednesday from outside Sheffield and I welcome em, they were lucky to be chosen but if I was born in say Rochdale that would be my team.

Good post that, I agree. Rotherham doesn't have an ice hockey team so I'd rather the Steelers win than anyone else. We do have a rugby team so I'll occasionally watch them or look out for their results. I went to see a Sheffield FC game at Dronfield and was rooting for them as they're local and been born in Sheffield and having a sister living there gave me some connection. However if they were playing Maltby I'd want Maltby to win cos they're in Rotherham.

As a city I like Sheffield. I've mentioned before I like my beer and Sheffield buries Manchester when it comes to that scene so I'm a regular visitor.

But Rotherham's my town and I'm proud that we here are able to support any football club, nevermind one playing in the 4th strongest league in Europe. Especially considering we are surrounded on all sides by towns and cities with football clubs playing at a decent level, it makes it even more of an achievement.

That's just my personality. I'd support Rotherham if they dropped down the league's like Darlington, Stockport, Chesterfield....etc. Day out at the football at any level is a great way to spend a Saturday. Just means more when it's your town's club.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlanLee said:

Good post that, I agree. Rotherham doesn't have an ice hockey team so I'd rather the Steelers win than anyone else. We do have a rugby team so I'll occasionally watch them or look out for their results. I went to see a Sheffield FC game at Dronfield and was rooting for them as they're local and been born in Sheffield and having a sister living there gave me some connection. However if they were playing Maltby I'd want Maltby to win cos they're in Rotherham.

As a city I like Sheffield. I've mentioned before I like my beer and Sheffield buries Manchester when it comes to that scene so I'm a regular visitor.

But Rotherham's my town and I'm proud that we here are able to support any football club, nevermind one playing in the 4th strongest league in Europe. Especially considering we are surrounded on all sides by towns and cities with football clubs playing at a decent level, it makes it even more of an achievement.

That's just my personality. I'd support Rotherham if they dropped down the league's like Darlington, Stockport, Chesterfield....etc. Day out at the football at any level is a great way to spend a Saturday. Just means more when it's your town's club.

Disagree that it means more. You dont choose who you support or what team you fall in love with. You tend to get it implemented into you from a young age, usually from your old man, he takes you, you see why he fell in love with the club and you fall in love the exact same way. Where you're from means nothing, I was born and grew up in Sheffield, now live in Doncaster, if I have kids and they grow up here, I hope they'll think of Wednesday the same way I always have. Just because they wont be born in Sheffield wouldn't make them any less of someone that was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hugeowl said:

They thought we were great when we let them collect money in their plastic buckets when they looked like going under .

Also their chairman is a ex Wednesdayite  , I say ex but cannot have been a proper Owl could he 

Yeah exactly. 

I was pleased to see their fortunes had improved until I realised they all seem to hate us for no apparent reason. It's not even like we've played each other many times in living memory...