Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

9 minutes ago, malek said:

In all honesty we were in much better situation to sign players like that, and chose to gamble on players like Jones, Boyd, etc...

Or was it deemed less of a gamble?, paying more for proven players.

The idea was fool proof, but now we're faced with quite a rebuild and an expectant fan base. Bruce is probably the best man for it, he'd be employed elsewhere, if we didn't have him, possibly boro

Edited by bigash_swfc

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I doubt their definition of a small fee and ours would be the same.

That’s the problem. What did we actually pay for him 8m - 10m? I would say, in today’s market, 3m would be a fair price, but if Norwich think he’s Premier League material, who knows

Guest wilyfox

Rhodes may be costing us up to 4mil per season in fee & salary. If we're not gonna get any value for that in remaining 2yrs of his contract, DC may be wise to cut his losses. The deal was a calamity. 

Getting him off the books would help our accounts but he does score goals and should be priced accordingly. I think Bruce would get more from him but there is clearly some more personal preferences on Rhodes’ part.

if they covered his wages plus a 1m loan fee as assumed plus a six figure bonus. That could’ve been worth 3/4m to us already. A few million for his transfer would see us get a large chunk of that original outlay back, more than other clubs have with players like McCormack.

Edited by Bluesteel
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That’s the problem. What did we actually pay for him 8m - 10m? I would say, in today’s market, 3m would be a fair price, but if Norwich think he’s Premier League material, who knows

In a market where Madine went for 6m and he can still get you 10-15 goals in the championship 3m would be cheap. But if we want rid then that affects things massively.

If we could shift him for £5/6m I'd be really happy with that. As Bluesteel's just said, add up the savings and earnings from the loan and we pretty much break even on his transfer here at least. Frees up wages too. That might mean we have a small transfer budget to play with that allows Bruce to wheel and deal. 

There will be decent players available for £3m

Guest wilyfox

I suspect DC would want 4mil for him to cover remaining instalments to Boro to ensure Rhodes isn't still costing us beyond point of sale. But Rhodes hasn't shown form or held down a place in their team or ours last 3yrs. I doubt a championship sub aged 29 is worth 4mil even if it is Jordan Rhodes. 

7 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I suspect DC would want 4mil for him to cover remaining instalments to Boro to ensure Rhodes isn't still costing us beyond point of sale. But Rhodes hasn't shown form or held down a place in their team or ours last 3yrs. I doubt a championship sub aged 29 is worth 4mil even if it is Jordan Rhodes. 

Thought he'd been here longer than a year.

52 minutes ago, dw_sheffwed said:

Norwich want JR on cheap 

C6493995-7AAF-4DEF-8FB9-B8B177AA9D6A.png

They’ve already given us approx £2.5m (initial loan fee and promotion bonus) so anything near £5m would just about recoup what we’d spent on him. That said, Bruce might have other ideas and he’s got far more experience of these matters than me. Be interesting to see how it all pans out. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

Surely, surely, even with our track record for transfers, we could get more than £3m. Norwich have just been promoted, must of a bob or two now, and they want him (if Nixon is correct). £6m at the very least. If not, we let bruce try get the best out of him.