Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

41 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Similar to how Reading used ALF. No way was he Premier League class, but he got them a few points coming on at the end of games. That’s how Norwich used Rhodes last season, and it is pretty much the only way you can utilise a player with such limited ability. That isn’t a problem if you can afford to carry such a player. Paying 8m for that privilege, was quite frankly bonkers though

I'm not sure that's the only way Rhodes could be used - as part of a front two alongside a natural target man, he could carry on the decent scoring rate he's managed for Norwich.

Having said that, I doubt either Norwich or Wednesday will be playing a system in which he's a natural starter next season.

If only we'd had a coherent plan when we spent all that money on him, eh?

If we get a few quid for our £8m striker we could put the money towards the 1st payment in the large debt against our own ground. 

It’s the economic strategy of a piiised up African dictatorship. 

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Minton said:

40 appearances 9 goals this season. Most were off the bench, he scored a goal every 133 minutes. Our best striker was Joao with 1 every 168 mins...

Im a big fan of Rhodes. Still think and hope he can do a job for us under Bruce. I was just surprised Norwich who are now in the Premiership would want to sign him permanently. 

I stand by Rhodes upto now , give him a season under Bruce it's not a big risk hes no worse than nuhiu or an inconsistent Joao. It's got to be sid that Joao is good if he can keep his form going but we all kno he hasn't 

Edited by stocksyuto

If Norwich pay us £2m + i would take it, the savings on his wages would double that fee.

I would also let Fessi leave for smothering more than £8m + he is in the last 12 months of his contract so we either resign him to a longer deal or We sell him.

We need to start managing the squad better, we can't have this every close season where we spend two months trying to resign let players.

Happy to be corrected. But doesn’t the rest of the Rhodes fee hit the accounts when we sell in FFP terms?

eg. £8 million split over 4 years. If we sell now we’re on the hook for £4 million minus whatever fee we get? 

So unless we recoup that £4 million, even with his wage saving over this season (35k est approx 1.8 million a year) we’re still down? Admittedly only by 200k. 

2 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I stand corrected if this is right but it makes sense. Jeez - what an horrendous piece of business. £8m fee plus loan fee, plus £35k PW wages. What were we thinking? We didn’t even need a striker at that point. 

And yet owls talk had several 100 page threads calling for him to be signed. Guess hindsight is a wonderful thing. Not many on here were saying we don’t need him at point of signing him. 

1 hour ago, vulva said:

If we get a few quid for our £8m striker we could put the money towards the 1st payment in the large debt against our own ground. 

It’s the economic strategy of a piiised up African dictatorship. 

What debt against our ground? Have I missed an announcement?

13 minutes ago, wiggy said:

Happy to be corrected. But doesn’t the rest of the Rhodes fee hit the accounts when we sell in FFP terms?

eg. £8 million split over 4 years. If we sell now we’re on the hook for £4 million minus whatever fee we get? 

So unless we recoup that £4 million, even with his wage saving over this season (35k est approx 1.8 million a year) we’re still down? Admittedly only by 200k. 

It does but next season out 21m loss from the play off final season is not in the FFP Calculation so as long as we are not losing £20m could be a good time to get rid.

We saw last season the effect it had players in silly wages sat in the stands.

Its not worked out for Rhodes get what you can and save on the wages.

1 minute ago, camffiti said:

I doubt Norwich still want Rhodes. He was rarely picked by Farke 

IF they do make an offer though, let's not have any OTers involved in the negotiations MargieMay.png.bb42b2424b3fd63b5c0005193481939a.png

Not sure you’re 100% on your information here, that or you have a vastly different view of what is meant by ‘rarely picked’. 

He played in 40 games for Norwich, scoring 9 at a goals per minute record that was vastly better than any player we have. 

Westwood / Hutch were rarely picked by Jos, Rhodes was picked almost every week by Farke. 

15 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Not sure you’re 100% on your information here, that or you have a vastly different view of what is meant by ‘rarely picked’. 

He played in 40 games for Norwich, scoring 9 at a goals per minute record that was vastly better than any player we have. 

Westwood / Hutch were rarely picked by Jos, Rhodes was picked almost every week by Farke. 

Rhodes has been used, but I doubt he's started more than 10 games 

I've not bothered pouring over his stats, because I doubt they will show how he was used by Farke post-445-0-45854900-1329470346_thumb.png

8 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Rhodes has been used, but I doubt he's started more than 10 games 

I've not bothered pouring over his stats, because I doubt they will show how he was used by Farke post-445-0-45854900-1329470346_thumb.png

Sure thing. 

The stats from Rhodes at Norwich can definitely be spun to deceive. 

For instance, 9 goals in 40 appearances sounds good. If you point out that 3 of those goals came in the Carabao Cup against bottom-half League One side Wycombe, it loses some of its veneer.

Still, 6 goals in 36 league appearances is a decent return, especially when used primarily from the bench.

Yes, but then you can just as equally point out that he's scored once in six months (his last goal was in mid-January, the goal before that early November). And once in 6 months sounds pretty poor, even for a player that's only started one game since October (that one game being Portsmouth in the FA Cup, his prior start was a home game against Brentford on the 27th October).