Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Thought he'd been here longer than a year.

Eh?

Rhodes joined in Jan '17 initially on loan with obligation of 4+1/2yr deal for £8m. That's what was reported at the time.

Edited by wilyfox

18 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

In a market where Madine went for 6m and he can still get you 10-15 goals in the championship 3m would be cheap. But if we want rid then that affects things massively.

It’s the 6m for Madine, that I don’t get

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s the 6m for Madine, that I don’t get

He was having the best season of his career at Bolton. Terrible business by Cardiff. They stumped up 6mil after a purple patch. 

23 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I suspect DC would want 4mil for him to cover remaining instalments to Boro to ensure Rhodes isn't still costing us beyond point of sale. But Rhodes hasn't shown form or held down a place in their team or ours last 3yrs. I doubt a championship sub aged 29 is worth 4mil even if it is Jordan Rhodes. 

I agree with this.

Only guess work but I thought we paid £8 million for him. £2million a year over his 4 year contract. With Norwich paying the fee for last year, we still have £4million left to pay, which if we sell him we’ll have to pay up front so we’ll want at least that amount. Anything less and it will go against FFP. 

• Like 1

I have been a big fan of Rhodes but I don’t understand why Norwich would want him back to be honest. Didn’t really do much for them in the Championship and they are now a Premiership club. Would be a strange piece of business from Norwich imo. 

My understanding was he signed a 3.5 year contract and he only has a year left. There’s no way we would get £4m for him given how it’s gone. If we get £2m and we can Boro our final instalment and we get him off the wage bill, I think this will be good news. Good for the player as well!

Edited by Bouncing Owl

5 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

My understanding was he signed a 3.5 year contract and he only has a year left. There’s no way we would get £4m for him given how it’s gone. If we get £2m and we can Boro our final instalment and we get him off the wage bill, I think this will be good news. Good for the player as well!

No

the first 6 months he was here he was on loan.

We then signed him on a 4 year deal 2 years ago (on July 1st). He still has 25 months left.

If the fee was £8m then he will be valued at £4m in the accounts in July 1st.  

Selling him for any less than £4m will constitute a loss in the accounts.

So Bruce and Chansiri will have to weigh it up.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

No

We then signed him on a 4 year deal 2 years ago (on July 1st). He still has 25 months left.

I stand corrected if this is right but it makes sense. Jeez - what an horrendous piece of business. £8m fee plus loan fee, plus £35k PW wages. What were we thinking? We didn’t even need a striker at that point. 

17 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I have been a big fan of Rhodes but I don’t understand why Norwich would want him back to be honest. Didn’t really do much for them in the Championship and they are now a Premiership club. Would be a strange piece of business from Norwich imo. 

The Norwich fan I know rates Rhodes and reckons he's played well for them in the time he's had.

I couldn't believe they'd be interested now they're a Premier League club, but he reckons Farke likes him and will want to keep him as an option off the bench.

40 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

No

I suspect £2m will be reasonably tempting.

if we keep Rhodes we are looking at an approximate £2m cost (£4m/2 years).  Plus approximate £2m salary cost.  So £4m in this years accounts plus probably £4m in next seasons if he sees out this year.

if we sell him for £2m, we’ll get a £2m hit in the accounts this season but no further wages and no further hits next season.  So we’d be £2m better off this season and £4m better off next season.

That £2m saving for this season may not sound much but from an FFP point of view you could instead:-

Get any available PL youngster on a season loan and still have plenty of change.

Buy a player for £3m on a four year contract (£750K hit per year in balance sheet) and pay him £1.25m per year in wages (£25K per week).  I know this is a weird concept for people to get their head around if you don’t understand accounts but it is likely that selling Rhodes this season for £2m would allow the purchase of a £3m player this season (Hector?) and a further £3m player next season (from an FFP point of view).

Although the past few years don’t suggest Chansiri fully gets this.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The Norwich fan I know rates Rhodes and reckons he's played well for them in the time he's had.

I couldn't believe they'd be interested now they're a Premier League club, but he reckons Farke likes him and will want to keep him as an option off the bench.

Similar to how Reading used ALF. No way was he Premier League class, but he got them a few points coming on at the end of games. That’s how Norwich used Rhodes last season, and it is pretty much the only way you can utilise a player with such limited ability. That isn’t a problem if you can afford to carry such a player. Paying 8m for that privilege, was quite frankly bonkers though

Edited by gurujuan

It's literally one of those decisions that could go either way. Farke has managed to get some sort of tune out of Rhodes, good enough to want to keep him, it would seem?

We need a goalscorer next season and Rhodes could fit the bill but this all depends on Bruce finding a system that gets the best out of him. He could well find it but it's possible in regards to being a regular goalscorer, Rhodes is now a busted flush?

I think Bruce would like to shake up the forward line as it doesn't look like he's got a striker who could score 20 goals or more but getting offers from other clubs for players still under contract is going to be difficult?

33 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

If we manage to sell Rhodes to Norwich it’ll be the biggest case of daylight robbery I’ve seen for some time 

Begrudgingly agree in the sense I wanted him to do well, but you've right. 

Assuming he's our top earner on £35k, still 2 years to run? That's easily £2m a year (including employer contributions). Just to get his wage off the books and come out anywhere near break even in respect of any outstanding fee due to Boro would be a result. 

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

40 appearances 9 goals this season. Most were off the bench, he scored a goal every 133 minutes. Our best striker was Joao with 1 every 168 mins...

Bruce has not been scared to bin big signings I’d they aren’t working especially up front. Think McCormack, think Hogan, think (in a way) Kodjia having to play second fiddle to a loanees - first Grabban and then Abraham. 

Problem for Jordan and the rest of our crew is that he prefers to play with one - at the moment that has to be fletcher - who doesn’t score enough goals. I’m surprised he hasn’t tried Winnall out more but he probably doesn’t fancy him and TBH it wouldn’t surprise me if he sold the whole caboodle - Atty and Lucas have had their chance, Jordan, Winnall and Fletch have no pace, Hoops is gone. Expect a loanee as point man with Fessi and Reach in close support.