The Magic of the FA Cup

16 minutes ago, JimmyMaC said:

Great competion,where else could you beat man utd 7-2 away......

The prem sides should be forced into playing their strongest sides or face punishment or expulsion.for every round,lets bring value back to the competition and pay it the respect it deserves and play in front of full houses again

Who decides what their strongest side is? And do they have to play their best players in every league game, FA cup game, league cup game and champions league game?

1 hour ago, JimmyMaC said:

Great competion,where else could you beat man utd 7-2 away......

The prem sides should be forced into playing their strongest sides or face punishment or expulsion.for every round,lets bring value back to the competition and pay it the respect it deserves and play in front of full houses again

Why would you want them to play their best teams. Surely you would rather want them to play worse players so we can win the cup. 

14 minutes ago, JimmyMaC said:

Its for the FA to decide,in recent years weve had the likes of wigan,millwall cardiff portsmouth as suprise winners or finalists,that devalues the competition,while its fun,it does make the cup look a tad tinnny in relation to what it used to be before the prem formed.

Good luck to the FA telling Pep Guardiola who he has to pick.

Since the prem was formed Arsenal and Chelsea have won the FA cup 7 times each and Man U have won it 5 times. 

In the years before the prem Coventry and Wimbledon won it.

You’ve not thought this one through

2 hours ago, JimmyMaC said:

Its for the FA to decide,in recent years weve had the likes of wigan,millwall cardiff portsmouth as suprise winners or finalists,that devalues the competition,while its fun,it does make the cup look a tad tinnny in relation to what it used to be before the prem formed.

I'm the other way corky.

Upsets in the final adds value to my enjoyment of the fine old competition. 

And I'd love it if we added our name to the roll call of honour.

Wouldn't bother me a jot if we played someone's U23s  in a cup final.

Seeing our skipper lift that magnificent historical pot would be all I cared about!

2 hours ago, nilsson said:

Good luck to the FA telling Pep Guardiola who he has to pick.

Since the prem was formed Arsenal and Chelsea have won the FA cup 7 times each and Man U have won it 5 times. 

In the years before the prem Coventry and Wimbledon won it.

You’ve not thought this one through

And non prem teams play weakened sides as well.

Guest Bulgaria
5 hours ago, JimmyMaC said:

With all due respect mate, that's probably the daftest post I've seen on here

18 hours ago, nilsson said:

We’re the last club from the second tier to win a cup.

It’s one record we’ll probably never lose... can’t see a second tier club winning one again

I think it'll happen sooner or later,  with the PL teams resting players to save them for the battle for 14th. Seems like only the Manchester clubs, Chelsea Arsenal and maybe Spurs take it seriously these days and they still rotate players but have the advantage of their second strings still being far stronger than most first teams. It only takes them to be drawn against each other or have an off day and a smaller club is going to get to the final, which has happened a few times, and win it this time. 

8 hours ago, JimmyMaC said:

Thats exactly the reason why the FA Cup does still have some magic though. Who wants to see the big teams winning all the time? The smaller less fancied teams winning or getting to the final certainly does not devalue it. Were you around in 1993???

And it isn't just since the premier league. We've had Wimbledon Coventry and Southampton winning in my lifetime and also the likes of Fulham, Brighton (boo) and QPR in finals too. 

9 hours ago, JimmyMaC said:

thats the beauty of the FA cup,the fact that someone like millwall or wigan could win it,its all about giant killings thats why its magic,the cup is steeped in historical giant killings.

If the prem clubs want to field weekend sides let em,more chance for clubs like us to advance to a special day out at wembley

22 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'm the other way corky.

Upsets in the final adds value to my enjoyment of the fine old competition. 

And I'd love it if we added our name to the roll call of honour.

Wouldn't bother me a jot if we played someone's U23s  in a cup final.

Seeing our skipper lift that magnificent historical pot would be all I cared about!

Exactly, the FA cup is prestigious and if the big teams don't want it we'll have it (as would every other team in the country). If we win against their U23s doesn't matter we still beat them, they represent the club and we beat what is in front of us 

16 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Just watched the Wimbledon v West Ham highlights. Massive shock. I would bloody love us to cause an upset tomorrow. Please please lads don’t embarrass yourselves and the fans. 

No doubt they'll give it everything

On 26/01/2019 at 01:09, nilsson said:

We’re the last club from the second tier to win a cup.

It’s one record we’ll probably never lose... can’t see a second tier club winning one again

Well, there's only one who could win it again as a second division club and that's Wednesday.