The Magic of the FA Cup

An interesting listen below, could the stars be aligning to see us be the team who are facing a team about to implode? 

Seething Sarri, Liverpool win again and a slide-tackling fan – Football Weekly

https://www.theguardian.com/football/audio/2019/jan/21/seething-sarri-liverpool-win-again-and-a-slide-tackling-fan-football-weekly-podcast?

Or are we about to see Sari save his bacon as a World Class Striker rushes through his transfer so he can face his boyhood heros, Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup? 

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2019/1/22/18193563/here-we-go-higuain-to-chelsea-a-done-deal-report

lol

maxresdefault.jpg

26 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

It’s not as exciting as it once was and is no longer the finale of the football season. Add to that you can generally predict which 6 teams has a chance of winning it and that rarely changes year upon year

On the plus side with the best Premier League teams entirely focused on Champions League qualification we have more chance of reaching Wembley via the Cup than via the playoffs this year. 

Can Adam reach for the stars? Can he be the new Ross Wallace? 

Can a sleeping, hungover, comatosed, hamstrung giant be a giant Killer? 

• Like 2

Coincidentally, I watched the highlights of both Chelsea games (League Cup Semi) yesterday. I would have them on a loop on the team sharrabang all the way “darn to Landan” if I was a Steve in charge. It was surreal to see Trevor Francis beating defenders for pace at 35years old, I remembered seeing him playing for Brum at Hillsborough when he was 16...19 years in the first team’s of some great clubs, you don’t see that very often these days. 

2 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

It’s not as exciting as it once was and is no longer the finale of the football season. Add to that you can generally predict which 6 teams has a chance of winning it and that rarely changes year upon year

True. And I agree it should be the final game of the season .

Still there's been some (what I'd consider) underdogs make the final in recent is years. Hull, Villa, Wigan. Even Place I suppose. Portsmouth V Cardiff a few years ago.  

Would love to see an outside name on the cup. One off match it can happen. ....that's what I always cling to!

15 hours ago, sternlad said:

Coincidentally, I watched the highlights of both Chelsea games (League Cup Semi) yesterday. I would have them on a loop on the team sharrabang all the way “darn to Landan” if I was a Steve in charge. It was surreal to see Trevor Francis beating defenders for pace at 35years old, I remembered seeing him playing for Brum at Hillsborough when he was 16...19 years in the first team’s of some great clubs, you don’t see that very often these days. 

You watch the highlights and realise how direct we played at times compared to some of the rubbish we've seen in the last two years. 

Wednesday were one if not the best passing team in the country back then. 

And we didn't just scrape past Chelsea, we played them off the park, twice as a second division team. 

Francis had effectively come back out of retirement to play for us. Incredible story really and it shows anything is possible if you play football as God intended and you have the will to win. 

• Like 1

Remember the 3-3 against Derby in 93? Warhurst at the peak of his four-month relevance. Great goal from Gabbiadini. Carlton playing centre-half. One of the great Wednesday away strips. Terrible pitch. John Motson commentating on Sportsnight. THAT was the magic of the cup.

17 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Over four games we would have no chance, but do Chelsea really want to retain the Cup? 

Anything can happen over ninety minutes....

If the big prem teams aren't bothered about the cup, we'll gladly take it

5 hours ago, jomaco said:

If the big prem teams aren't bothered about the cup, we'll gladly take it

Nah the big teams really need to get stuffed by the minnows in the higher rounds. That’s where the cup excitement is. That’s happening less and less, the trickle down effect does not work; it was just a gimmick to make the system publicly acceptable for rewarding greed 

• Thanks 1

Guest Bulgaria
1 minute ago, pgmetcalf said:

Nah the big teams really need to get stuffed by the minnows in the higher rounds. That’s where the cup excitement is. That’s happening less and less, the trickle down effect does not work; it was just a gimmick to make the system publicly acceptable for rewarding greed 

Do you live on streets and eat dry bread? I ask as I get the impression that every single penny you earn is either donated to the needy or to the unions?

Fair play if you do.

Me highly doubts it though.

God it’s great to watch those two videos, those two legs against Chelsea gave us so much joy and relief after so many near misses and arsenal well it was just great to beat them in the cup after so long. Let’s hope Sunday is another chapter in our history we can look back on in years to come. Winning the cup is still a possibility even in this era , look at Wigan and let’s face it bar a multi billion pound takeover it’s the best we can hope for as the premier league is a closed shop