More attack please

Good 3 points, but pretty ugly to watch beyond a couple of moments of inspiration. The crowd loves an attacking Wednesday as you heard today. Please, please can we put more up front and give them chances to stuff the opposition. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Morepork said:

It's always nice to be entertained and score a few goals but I've actually always been a fan of a solid 1-0 win. Maybe I'm just old school.

Fair point  Sometimes though, it takes an intense attack to score just a single goal...besides, Wednesday looks as good on the attack, as bad on defense.  Play to your strengths.

5 minutes ago, Neon Nick said:

Fair point  Sometimes though, it takes an intense attack to score just a single goal...besides, Wednesday looks as good on the attack, as bad on defense.  Play to your strengths.

I agree with that and the notion that our attacking players are certainly stronger than our defensive ones. Also, over previous seasons we’ve been definitely been guilty of sitting back and inviting pressure.

I was making the point that 1-0 wins are not bad. Even better in transitional periods like the one we are in. Ask the coach’s if they would have rather won 3-2 in a more open game and I think they’d say they were more than happy with 1-0.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I agree with that and the notion that our attacking players are certainly stronger than our defensive ones. Also, over previous seasons we’ve been definitely been guilty of sitting back and inviting pressure.

I was making the point that 1-0 wins are not bad. Even better in transitional periods like the one we are in. Ask the coach’s if they would have rather won 3-2 in a more open game and I think they’d say they were more than happy with 1-0.

I'm more than happy with a 1-0 win, attack, attack, attack.  Might yield 1, might yield 6, but it will be a positive yield, because while we can't do a lot of things, we do seem to have offensive weapons, and when we attack, we rather concern the opponent.  A 1-0 counts for as much as a 10-0 win.  

1 hour ago, fpowl said:

Looked much better at 442 

Yeah can we have 442 every week now?

We looked so much better, comfortable and organised 442. 

Westwood

Palmer Lees Hector Fox

Boyd Hutch Bannan Reach

João Fletcher

Subs: Jones, Pelupessy, Winnall, Thorniley, Nuhiu, Matias, Dawson

Edited by Loughborough Owl

24 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Formation means little, tactics are king.

Our tactics for the first 45 mins (and pretty much since Agnew has been in charge) were way too negative.

Second half was so much better. Need to stick with that approach

Isn't it funny how tactics can change things in a matter of minutes?  Same Players, pitch, and match, even with the transitional nature of the current atmosphere. 

I'd much rather be solid and hard to beat and get results, because that along with pace; power, creativity and taking your chances are what it takes at this level. I'm looking forward to when Bruce shapes us into his own team. Because the strengths of Bruce's teams have mostly been the things we've lacked. Add some leadership; more pace, power, creativity and dynamism into the team, and we'd have a better chance of doing well. The more you think about it, the more Bruce seems like the right fit and in the long run his appointment could prove to be the smartest decision made during the Chansiri era. Especially if Bruce is allowed to do things his way, rebuilds the team to suit how he wants us to play and gets a say upon transfers, etc.

• Like 1

Agree it was obvious from about 25 minutes in as the game settled into a pattern that we really needed a second option up front to split the Wigan defence and draw men away from Fletcher - I'm assuming the coaches had expected Matias to play more of a direct supporting role, but he stayed too wide and didn't back Fletcher up closely enough. The goal came just a few minutes after we threw Joao on and started giving Wigan two things to think about at once.

However we didn't exactly look disinterested in getting into dangerous areas all game - thought we attacked well as a group, even when somewhat understaffed in the danger zones.

Capture.JPG.6956fb855d607b30456ea6adc7eefaeb.JPG

8 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Formation means little, tactics are king.

Our tactics for the first 45 mins (and pretty much since Agnew has been in charge) were way too negative.

Second half was so much better. Need to stick with that approach

Pretty much since Agnew was in charge ? And jos and clueless . We are the kings of passing backwards . 

Its always hard when we have a team team of over the hill has beens. Having said that how much better did we look in the second half when players actually wised up and wanted the ball from fletchers flick Ons 

Agree, we always look better when attacking, this season is almost a free hit for Bruce as we are destined for midtable.

Rumours suggest we are looking at wingers, wouldn't be disappointed with 442 and setting up with the primary objective to score as many goals as possible.

30 minutes ago, modboy said:

Wish we'd resigned Marshall. Really would have been ideal 

I keep seeing players like that who seem like they'd be a really good match for our style of play. Always catch myself thinking Maupay at Brentford looks a lot like a fitter version of Gary Hooper than we've ever had playing for us. Their styles are really similar, but with about 150% dynamism bonus in Maupay's favour. Grr.

9 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

I'm more than happy with a 1-0 win, attack, attack, attack.  Might yield 1, might yield 6, but it will be a positive yield, because while we can't do a lot of things, we do seem to have offensive weapons, and when we attack, we rather concern the opponent.  A 1-0 counts for as much as a 10-0 win.  

It doesn't if you get relegated or miss out on promotion on goal difference.