Who's opinion do we trust most, Stan Collymore or Peter Swan?

22 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Much of the time Bruce was at Villa they were in turmoil. He took them to within 90 minutes of promotion.

Bruce has had a very difficult year personally, maybe it all caught up with him this season having gone so close last time.

His successor is currently averaging enough points to get them towards the play-offs but no higher, will he be able to get them up? Time will tell but I am happy to have a manager with Bruce's record.

Carlos took us to within 90 minutes of promotion, look how that went and the views of him now lol

45 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Steve Bruce been a manager for 20 years as a manager and 9 different clubs.

Law of averages would say a couple of times things have not always been a success for him.

But in his time had more successes then failures. 

I dont think you can argue his time at Villa was great but that's a club been in a mess for best part of a decade before he took over.

Think Bruce is a good solid manager.

Same applies to Sunderland. Both clubs totally rancid. 

I have managed to find a whole host of reasons why I should forget my old anti Bruce prejudices (based mainly on a certain infamous game at Old Trafford);

• Being an English manager, he is ideal to take us successfully through a Brexit season.
  • I can now see that all his annoying comments after matches could be quite comforting if he was your manager and not the oppositions
  • He will help our whole squad to complete the "manning up" that they are going through now with Bullen
  • He could attract some players who may not have come to us if we had an unknown foreign manager, or lesser known British manager
  • Our lass wont be fancying him
  • He appears to be more in line with a lot of our fans diet and booze wise
  • The press are far more respectful of him even if the fruit and veg shop owners are not
  • The BBC/Gary Lineker seem to love him, so our profile could be on the up again
  • The pigs are bricking it now he has been appointed, my gobby pig fan mate has become very absent and very quiet lately, just the way I like it
  • Last but not least, he is as determined and capable of winning games as a manager as he was as a player and with our total support he could do that with us and make us massive once more 

4 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Carlos took us to within 90 minutes of promotion, look how that went and the views of him now lol

I know! I am of the opinion Carlos did a good job overall and will look back on his time as a good spell in years to come but it was an opportunity missed, particularly the approach to the Huddersfield games. He should have gone after that and it was clear that he was pining for a top flight job having not managed to get us there. 

Carlos found us in a stable but largely stagnated position when he took the job and was afforded a great deal more money to improve what we had. In contrast Bruce took over Villa in a very poor state and judging by what has been said, he wasn't able to spend without selling in the way Carlos could with us. 

Reading back it looks like Collymore and Bruce had a disagreement back in 2009 to do with Brice awarding Beckham a MOM for an England game, and Collymore disagreed vehemently. And its dragged on since then. But, really dont care what Collymore thinks in the slightest. An irrelevant man frankly.

18 minutes ago, Castleford Owl said:

Villa fans still think they’re a premiership club, as do the players. Totally different environment. He’s the right manager at the right time for us. 

Yep.

Tough 3 years of Championship football, Villa? Try 20. And throw in a couple of years of League One in between.

Not succeeding at Aston Villa isn't the end of the line for someone with as much experience as Bruce. Just like it won't be the end of the line for the much younger, trendier, cavalier man who'se there now, with a reputation for playing some of the best football in the division, who currently has Villa.. 10th with 6 wins from his 14 games so far.

The only plan at Villa is to throw as much money at it as they can until enough of it sticks that they eventually just brute force their way back up, even at the expense of their tax bills.

As for Stan Collymore, there's a reason he works for Talksport - the station of thick, ignorant hot takes and opinions for morons.

3 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

Doesn't SC have an affinity to villa therefore a biased, fan based opinion...

yeah.

look at his initials. his name could be 'sad c*nt' 

sh*t commentator. 

silly clown.

stupid cretin

stank callotmore

A bit of Stan the Man bashing here, I think Collymore coming to terms with his depression and mental illness has been a most progressive step forward for him. He has shown remorse and regret for his erratic behaviour. He along with Clarke Carlisle and more latterly our very own Chris Kirkland have taken the lid off how zero-hero-zero ride for footballers and how it effects them. Some of our fans were quick to attack Bruce for being relaxed about his start date. Yet Bruce who had lost both parents in the preceding year of his appointment, we read it like Wednesday were the most important thing in the world.

Collymore is Villa through and through so loyalty to the club will prevail. Swann (the lesser) has no such Loyalty to Villa or Wednesday so we expect and get a more balanced opinion. Simple as that really !  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

A bit of Stan the Man bashing here, I think Collymore coming to terms with his depression and mental illness has been a most progressive step forward for him. He has shown remorse and regret for his erratic behaviour. He along with Clarke Carlisle and more latterly our very own Chris Kirkland have taken the lid off how zero-hero-zero ride for footballers and how it effects them. Some of our fans were quick to attack Bruce for being relaxed about his start date. Yet Bruce who had lost both parents in the preceding year of his appointment, we read it like Wednesday were the most important thing in the world.

Collymore is Villa through and through so loyalty to the club will prevail. Swann (the lesser) has no such Loyalty to Villa or Wednesday so we expect and get a more balanced opinion. Simple as that really !  

What is your balanced view of lovely reformed big boy Colymore trying to make his brutal wife beating and kicking sound like a solitary slap and saying that it was portrayed as a big black bloke beating his little white wife?

My balanced view of him based on what he has actually done, rather than based on what he says about himself or how he has managed to get his life back on track with privileged job positions and putting himself firmly back in the public eye, is that he is still a nasty man, with more than his fair share of lucky breaks, who is lucky not to have been taught a few tough lessons in respect, the way he showed his wife. The t055er, 

• Thanks 1