Mel Sterland, underrated?

Good player, cracking turn of pace  and would make intelligent runs, great penalties and not afraid to whelsch a tackle. Gutted when he went to the scum under HW. Possibly the best British RB of the time in my opinion. Much surpassed by Nilsson of course, I mean was one of the best RB’s in the word. Like a bleedin brick wall

Played against him loads in junior football as we are the same age , he played for Waltheof ? school and the 3 Feathers on Sundays.

He played as  a centre forward in those days but made his debut in midfield for Wednesday and took some stick from the crowd for his performances, and in all honesty you could see why, but Big Jack moved him to right back one game and....BOOM....he never looked back.

He was immense in Wilko,s promotion season and is Wednesday through and through, but no , i dont think he is underrated by us Owls, its just that whenevr we pick all time XI,s he will always miss out to one of the best players to pull on a blue and white shirt.

Young Melvin was (I think) a product of the Sheffield Boys team which churned out the likes of Steve Ludlum, David Herbert and  numerous others who folks on here will remember. He was Wilf Smith with more power, weight and height, you wouldn’t want to be in his road when he was in full flight. Nilsson was a great accomplished tidy player who would always play intricate triangles to get out of the tightest situations, whereas Mel would “sit opponents in the first row of the stand” and clear out the danger that way. As a full back you were always told “first tackle , make your winger know it’s going to be a long afternoon” and that was Mel to a tee. He played the game with a lot of passion and could lift the stadium with a surging run down the line in front of the North or South...not a great player, but a player with a big heart and a passion for Wednesday. Is he in that dressing room painting...? Can’t remember....must get me medication from the nurse!:duntmatter:

1 hour ago, sheriwozgod said:

Played against him loads in junior football as we are the same age , he played for Waltheof ? school and the 3 Feathers on Sundays.

He played as  a centre forward in those days but made his debut in midfield for Wednesday and took some stick from the crowd for his performances, and in all honesty you could see why, but Big Jack moved him to right back one game and....BOOM....he never looked back.

He was immense in Wilko,s promotion season and is Wednesday through and through, but no , i dont think he is underrated by us Owls, its just that whenevr we pick all time XI,s he will always miss out to one of the best players to pull on a blue and white shirt.

Bloody hell, I remember playing for Ridgeway Boys at the Three Feathers but it must have been a few years previous to your encounter with Melvin. Played my first ever competitive game of football for Westfield against Waltheof School in 1967, 2-2 draw and I skimmed a header for the equaliser...unfortunately it beat Meeky in our goal by miles as we were playing on a Rugby pitch with a high crossbar! Didn’t live that down for a few weeks!WTF:

Probably my favourite Wednesday player, owls fan and never gave less than 100%.

Tough as they come with a great cross and a thunderbolt shot, as full back his goal scoring record was a very impressive, 49 goals in 350 appearances.

A bit like Stuart Pearce in the way he played, if Mel had played for West Ham he would have had loads of England caps.

9 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Young Melvin was (I think) a product of the Sheffield Boys team which churned out the likes of Steve Ludlum, David Herbert and  numerous others who folks on here will remember. He was Wilf Smith with more power, weight and height, you wouldn’t want to be in his road when he was in full flight. Nilsson was a great accomplished tidy player who would always play intricate triangles to get out of the tightest situations, whereas Mel would “sit opponents in the first row of the stand” and clear out the danger that way. As a full back you were always told “first tackle , make your winger know it’s going to be a long afternoon” and that was Mel to a tee. He played the game with a lot of passion and could lift the stadium with a surging run down the line in front of the North or South...not a great player, but a player with a big heart and a passion for Wednesday. Is he in that dressing room painting...? Can’t remember....must get me medication from the nurse!:duntmatter:

Think they were a few years before Mel.

Mels age group had the likes of Charlie Williamson , Wayne Biggins , Mickey Adams and Carl Shutt, i once got down to the last 22  for this squad but just missed out on the final cut when i was about 13.................unfortunately there was no chance of me progressing as my Dad told the selectors where to shove it  :biggrin:

One of my favourite players and a lovely guy if you ever meet him. I remember him getting quite a bit of stick from the north stand when he first started but he soon won the fans round with his performances. I have plenty of memories of Zico but my favourite was the blockbuster he scored away at Oldham in a 3-0 win, I also remember watching him score for England U21/23S (can't remember) in a 6-1 win v France at Hillsborough in the early 80s, with a young Mark Hateley scoring 4.

7 minutes ago, NYowl said:

Probably my favourite Wednesday player, owls fan and never gave less than 100%.

Tough as they come with a great cross and a thunderbolt shot, as full back his goal scoring record was a very impressive, 49 goals in 350 appearances.

A bit like Stuart Pearce in the way he played, if Mel had played for West Ham he would have had loads of England caps.

Think he got so many goals as a full back as he took pens and played up front on occasions.

Remember opening game of season v Luton in late 80's and he played up front, missed a pen and then scored the winner.

Sadly sort of player you dont see any more. Would get booked ever game and sent off 5 times a season, not that he was a dirty player just times change.

Not for Sterland rolling about holding his face if not really got touched. I miss those times.

5 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Think they were a few years before Mel.

Mels age group had the likes of Charlie Williamson , Wayne Biggins , Mickey Adams and Carl Shutt, i once got down to the last 22  for this squad but just missed out on the final cut when i was about 13.................unfortunately there was no chance of me progressing as my Dad told the selectors where to shove it  :biggrin:

Aye, I’m sure you’re right about the time gap. When I saw Three Feathers in your post it took me back a bit further in time. I do remember seeing his name in the team list in the Star before they had games, usually at the Ball Inn Ground I think. I never made it into the Sheffield Boys team either but no one from Westfield did unless Warnock did a few years before me. We got channeled into county football later on and I used to turn out for Derbyshire Under 18 a lot, remember playing against Tony Galvin who was in the Yorkshire team at Saltergate one night...he was “poo hot” nobody got near him...lost 1-4!